Emotionally impacting lyrics

I was just listening to 'If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me', and the line "If you don't want me then you don't have to have me, I just thought you might feel the same, that's all" hit me really hard. The emotion and yearning in that line is amazing. Which lines do you find really impact you emotionally?

'Girl afraid, where do his intentions lay?
Or does he even have any?
She said, "he never really looks at me,
I give him every opportunity!"
In the room downstairs she sat and stared,
In the room downstairs she sat and stared.
"I'll never make that mistake again!"'

It's like the story of my own love life. :nopity:

In a river the colour of lead,
Immerse the baby's head.
Wrap her up in the News Of The World,
Dump her on a doorstep, girl.

Such a tragic lyric, and still shocks to hear it to this day.

I was just listening to 'If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me', and the line "If you don't want me then you don't have to have me, I just thought you might feel the same, that's all" hit me really hard.

This happened to me earlier. Can't believe I didn't pay enough attention to this song. Obviously the great thing about Morrissey is that he is "emotionally impacting" so much of the time - a lot of my favourite lyrics run throughout songs like Now My Heart Is Full (possibly my favourite song these days), There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends ("There is a place, a place in hell, reserved for me and my friends, and if ever I just wanted to cry then I will because I can"... I got goosebumps just typing that out - one of, I feel, his most underrated songs, even in its original arrangement), I've Changed My Plea To Guilty ("and reason and freedom are a waste - it's a lot like life", or as I often think he says "a lot like love". Absolutely incredible)... Two of those are reasonably obscure, the list really is endless.

"I can't reach you
I can't reach you
I can't reach you anymore
Can you please stop time?
can you stop the pain?
I feel too cold
and now I feel too warm again.
can you stop this pain?
can you stop this pain?
even now, in the final hour of my life
I'm falling in love again..."

"With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each others arms"

That one just gets me.

But don't forget the songs
That made you cry
And the songs that saved your life
Yes, you're older now
And you're a clever swine
But they were the only ones who ever stood by you.

and

I'm not sorry

and

Haven't had a dream in a long time

..........could go on and on

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Gets me every time. The voice, the guitars.....

"And when I'm lying in my bed,
I think about life and I think about death,
And neither one particularly appeals to me"

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine"

Gets me every time. The voice, the guitars.....

Agreed!

"It's so easy to laugh it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind"

"My only mistake is I'm hoping"

"Lesley Ann, with your pretty white beads, oh John you'll never be a man and you'll never see your home again, oh Manchester, so much to answer for..."

a lot of my favourite lyrics run throughout songs like Now My Heart Is Full (possibly my favourite song these days)

Agreed. 'Now My Heart is Full' is definitely my favourite too. There's something really epic about it, and the way it affects me is indescribable: "And I just can't explain, so I won't even try to..." Beautiful.

"With your triumphs and your charms
While they're in each others arms"

That one just gets me.

Agreed!

"Lesley Ann, with your pretty white beads, oh John you'll never be a man and you'll never see your home again, oh Manchester, so much to answer for..."

These too, 'Suffer Little Children' is so heartbreaking and intense.

Another one: "Life is nothing much to lose, it's just so lonely here without you".

Practically any line from 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore', 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' ("I took the key from Maudlin Street, well it's only bricks and mortar. Truly I do love you..." especially), or 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' never fail to get to me. There are just too many. :o

Another one: "Life is nothing much to lose, it's just so lonely here without you".

Practically any line from 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore', 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' ("I took the key from Maudlin Street, well it's only bricks and mortar. Truly I do love you..." especially), or 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' never fail to get to me. There are just too many. :o

Agreed! That line from Mama is my favourite line from YOR. Birthday, Maudlin Street and Seasick are three heartcrushingly sad and fragile songs. Here's some more lyrics...

"And when they've bought you and they've sold you and they've billed you for the pleasure, and they've made your parents cry, I will be here... believe me..."

"And when you slam down the hammer... can you see it in your heart?"

"And no-one knows a thing about my life..."

That's true about Angel, Angel ... it's like he could have said "and they've made you cry" .. but the fact it's like going that one step further and saying "and made your PARENTS cry" .. it just makes whatever the situation in the song seem so much more intense and personal.

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bead
Oh well, enough said

Pretty much the entire song 'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle.'

Of course:

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

That entire song sends chills down my spine no matter how many times I listen to it.

Take me out tonight Where theres music and theres people And theyre young and alive Driving in your car I never never want to go home Because I havent got one Anymore.... There is a light that never goes out

You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed !

I said : "I know I do"

Back
Top Bottom