Home is a Question Mark should've been a single

You have to admit that you enjoy some Morrissey songs from the last decade. While I agree that there have been many songs I didn’t particularly care for, Moz’s music is still much better than most, even when it’s “shite” as you decreed.

What a sad c*** disliking every comment.
And no, I haven’t enjoyed Morrisseys music for years, I’m sorry if this upsets you.

God, how pointless. You can argue about whether or not the songs are good until the cows come home, but no one's mind will change, because these are OPINIONS.
Of course, ordinaryboy, you're allowed to think and say that Moz's present output is shit... but why, if someone disagrees with you, are they "in denial"? Their opinions are just as valid as yours.

The reason Morrissey doesn’t chart anymore is cos’ his output over the last decade has been shite. It’s as simple as that.

Morrissey does chart, you bloody loon. And his output hasn't been shite, you maniac! Are you f***ing about or are you serious?

What a sad c*** disliking every comment.
And no, I haven’t enjoyed Morrisseys music for years, I’m sorry if this upsets you.

ordinarygirl86, supermarket clothes
who thinks it's very clever to be cruel to you

No apology necessary!

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the lyrics are very well written and insightful. What do you find horrible and ruining with the lyrics?

How about this for a chorus?

If it was a verse he might have got away with it but I'll be honest, when it comes back for a second go I have to skip to the next track.

Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno
Home is a question mark
Home is some place I dunno

It's a sad reflection on how low things have gone.

Morrissey does chart, you bloody loon. And his output hasn't been shite, you maniac! Are you f***ing about or are you serious?

You’re right, Spent reached #69 in the U.K. charts. My apologies.

0D621E09-84B2-446A-AEC8-FF2033657BDF.jpeg

God, how pointless. You can argue about whether or not the songs are good until the cows come home, but no one's mind will change, because these are OPINIONS.
Of course, ordinaryboy, you're allowed to think and say that Moz's present output is shit... but why, if someone disagrees with you, are they "in denial"? Their opinions are just as valid as yours.

It was in response to being called deaf simply because I don’t like the music. So f*** off.

View attachment 46086

Some facts for you:

UK https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/13740/morrissey/

US https://www.billboard.com/music/morrissey/chart-history/alternative-songs

Also:

Spent the Day in Bed

Chart (2017) Peak position
Scotland (Official Charts Company)
UK Singles (Official Charts Company) 69
US Adult Alternative Songs (Billboard) 13
US Rock Airplay (Billboard) 39

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_the_Day_in_Bed

"Low In High School" enters at #5 in UK album charts"
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/low-in-high-school-enters-at-5-in-uk-album-charts.141370/

"Low In High School" enters the US Billboard 200 chart at #20; cracks U.S. Top 10 Albums Chart at #9"
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...0-cracks-u-s-top-10-albums-chart-at-9.141404/

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lyric. He's combined the obvious questioning of belonging with a play on Freud, which should be obvious enough from the slapstick return-to-the-womb imagery at the end marking the final homecoming (do you REALLY think he will?). I have a strong hunch that the idea of the question mark is a very specific reference to the Dora case study, which adds richer layers of meaning to the whole as that particular part of the analysis points to the uncertainty not only of desire itself, but also of the desire to desire. Hence, he is asking not only what a home is, but whether he even truly desires to desire such a rooting. Further, this was an early case that even Freud admitted to overreaching on (despite it being a cornerstone of his subsequent theories), so there is a cheeky whiff of the usual hubristic self-negation percolating throughout. After all, he might say 'dunno', but he saves himself in the end. Perhaps I am overreaching myself, but I can say that while one can certainly fault the man for idiosyncratic obscurity, levying a charge of poor writing is unlikely to be a justifiable endeavor.

As for the question, it is one of the stronger songs on the album but given current tastes I doubt it would see any air play even in calmer conditions. This is, of course, only a fond hope, rarely realized even at the best of times, but he must still try...

A constant decline since Viva Hate.

Yep, it’s been a steady decline, you get habituated to mediocrity and think ah it ain’t so bad. But if you cut out the 29 years in between viva hate & Low In high school, and just judge them two albums side by side, theres a giant drop in quality.

Also attracted some 10 million listeners on Spotify, so overall one of Moz's most succesful singles.

The UK charts have really changed their format, and since the disappearance of physical releases any older artist that won't get played daily fails to chart. Just look at the latest singles by contemporaries like The Cure, REM of U2. Moz has actually held up quite well compared to them.
And album-wise, which is dominated by physical sales, he has been doing top-5 for 45 years going now.

And I agree Home is a Question Mark should have been released as a single.
Classic Moz-ballad, and for me certainly the best song on High School.

Also attracted some 10 million listeners on Spotify, so overall one of Moz's most succesful singles.

The UK charts have really changed their format, and since the disappearance of physical releases any older artist that won't get played daily fails to chart. Just look at the latest singles by contemporaries like The Cure, REM of U2. Moz has actually held up quite well compared to them.
And album-wise, which is dominated by physical sales, he has been doing top-5 for 45 years going now.

Can anyone honestly say Spent is a good song? Or is it just slightly less worse than the single that preceded it. That’s how I judge his recent stuff, not by how good it is, but by how much less shit is it than the previous one. And being less shit doesn’t make it good, it just makes it less shit!

Can anyone honestly say Spent is a good song? Or is it just slightly less worse than the single that preceded it. That’s how I judge his recent stuff, not by how good it is, but by how much less shit is it than the previous one. And being less shit doesn’t make it good, it just makes it less shit!
I quite like it. Not up there with his best singles, but certainly on par with say Pregnant for the Last Time or Satan Rejected My Soul for me.

Then you have to leave this place, cause the covers album will be even more shit.
And Morrissey is rassist, you know.

Back
Top Bottom