Home is a Question Mark should've been a single

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Video - 2,867,016 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Lyric Video - 1,489,535 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Later with Jools Holland - 478,498 views

f*** of trying to convince me it’s a decent song. Why do you care so much that I hate it.

You should reread the post, because you seem to have missed the point quite pathetically. Lanterns listened to the song many times "and remember(s) these moments with great delight". That means lanterns likes the song (the bit you seem to have missed) and therefore, should want to listen to it multiple times. If you like a song, you might be thankful that it's easily accessible.
I'm fairly certain that lanterns wasn't trying to prove that it's a good song, just say that they like it.

Maybe you should reread lantern’s post because you seemed to have missed the point pathetically. I’m fairly certain that lanterns was trying to make the point that it’s a good song because she likes it.

Now allow me to make the equally ‘clever’ and ‘well-argued’ point that it’s a shite song because I hate it and that I f you don’t agree with me you have a ‘problem’.

Spotify

Morrissey

Popular

3 - Spent the Day in Bed - 8,169,029

Could someone post a screenshot of that please?

Never underestimate the hardcore Morrissey fan nutters who will have stuff on repeat listen in order to alter figures that nobody gives a f*** about.

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Video - 2,867,016 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Official Lyric Video - 1,489,535 views

Spent the Day in Bed - Later with Jools Holland - 478,498 views

thanks for posting. love it. to be fair, i have to admit that i watched these videos a couple of hundred thousand times myself. so i guess that the number of viewers and views might differ a little. at the moment i prefer listening to the audio recording of the song to the live versions, i.e. those versions from performances available on youtube. i wonder whether the friskiness of the song can be transferred adequately in a concert setting, maybe some changes are necessary for this occasion, just like jack the ripper which as a live version differs a lot from the recorded version, but it works perfectly in a live context as some features of the song have been accentuated differently for the live performance. when it comes to the recorded versions, i prefer stdib to jtr; and live vice versa.

thanks for posting. love it. to be fair, i have to admit that i watched these videos a couple of hundred thousand times myself. so i guess that the number of viewers and views might differ a little. at the moment i prefer listening to the audio recording of the song to the live versions, i.e. those versions from performances available on youtube. i wonder whether the friskiness of the song can be transferred adequately in a concert setting, maybe some changes are necessary for this occasion, just like jack the ripper which as a live version differs a lot from the recorded version, but it works perfectly in a live context as some features of the song have been accentuated differently for the live performance. when it comes to the recorded versions, i prefer stdib to jtr; and live vice versa.

I thought the song live and as we’ve seen Concert videos it got a cheer when it came on. If anything it sounded a little bigger in the chorus live but was still a lively jaunty song in performance. It’s all relative with the view numbers. It does show him to still be fairly popular though compared to old contemporaries. For instance new orders music complete’s most viewed single on YouTube which I think charted well for them is restless with 1.3 million after three years

You prefer Spent to Jack the Ripper? Mate you’re f***ing high. Are you just saying mad shit to annoy me? :D

Coming back to the topic and being totally honest, what really bothers me is that the melodic part of HiaQM (+/- 3 min) is a rip-off of Lost (b-side Maladjusted from the "Roy's Keen" single). That alone suffices not to elect this song as a single.

Coming back to the topic and being totally honest, what really bothers me is that the melodic part of HiaQM (+/- 3 min) is a rip-off of Lost (b-side Maladjusted from the "Roy's Keen" single). That alone suffices not to elect this song as a single.

Agree completely - the music at that point is almost identical.

The vocal melody in the chorus reminds me a lot of "Nobody Loves Us" - "caaaaall us home, kiss our cheeks, nobody loves us. Dab hands at trouble with four days of stubble, we aaaare..."
Although both songs are vastly superior to Home is a Question Mark, to my ears.

This is the most pointless discussion ever but I'have to agree with boy86 here.

Hahahaha. Thank you for that laugh FF. If you mean here, then that discussion doesn't chart at all. You are new, but I can assure you that there are many hundreds of discussions that would surpass this one for the most pointless award (and I am sure I have participated in a few), but I do agree that JTR>SPTDIB by miles.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lyric. He's combined the obvious questioning of belonging with a play on Freud, which should be obvious enough from the slapstick return-to-the-womb imagery at the end marking the final homecoming (do you REALLY think he will?). I have a strong hunch that the idea of the question mark is a very specific reference to the Dora case study, which adds richer layers of meaning to the whole as that particular part of the analysis points to the uncertainty not only of desire itself, but also of the desire to desire. Hence, he is asking not only what a home is, but whether he even truly desires to desire such a rooting. Further, this was an early case that even Freud admitted to overreaching on (despite it being a cornerstone of his subsequent theories), so there is a cheeky whiff of the usual hubristic self-negation percolating throughout. After all, he might say 'dunno', but he saves himself in the end. Perhaps I am overreaching myself, but I can say that while one can certainly fault the man for idiosyncratic obscurity, levying a charge of poor writing is unlikely to be a justifiable endeavor.

As for the question, it is one of the stronger songs on the album but given current tastes I doubt it would see any air play even in calmer conditions. This is, of course, only a fond hope, rarely realized even at the best of times, but he must still try...
:lbf:

Those Spotify streams plus those YouTube views = 12,573,478
so far it looks as if there are already more than twenty cover versions and fan videos of the song on yt. add their clicks to the official release and you get millions of extra views.

Yes you nailed it well. The final parts of Lost and Home is ? are remarkably similar. I prefer the singing on Lost though, s it conveyed more emotion (but less strength). That doesn't stop me from enjoying "Home..." as one of the better tracks on LIHS.

Popular with who? Cos’ a cluster of super fans bought 600 copies each and it topped the vinyl chart.
It’s a wank song, end of.

I thought you said you didn't like ' Spent The Day..' ? then you say ' it's a wank song', so I take it you know that
by first hand experience, and do enjoy it then?

:cool:

OMG ! Morrissey sounds like.... Morrissey ! :fearscream:

Back
Top Bottom