I'd Love To

stressford_poet

While I should be revising for my A levels next week all I can do is listen to every Morrissey album in chronological album, and I've often overlooked to sublime beauty and intensity of this song's lyrics.

My favourite lyric being;
'Now I've had enough
I've had more than could be
My rightful share
Of nights I can't bear
How can it be fair?'

I think he's singing about sex, in a romantic sense, his celibacy as something that from a shallow perspective is misunderstood by so many, is explained so personally in these lyrics;

'I lay awake
and I cried because of waste
I'd love to
(But only with you
Only with you)
Oh, time is gonna wipe us out
There, I've said it loud and clear
So that you will hear
There's no one in view
Just you
Just you'

I think he's singing towards an image he has of the perfect partner (male or female I'm making no implications), he's saying he's wasted so many lonely nights, when in fact he'd love to (have sex) but only with that one person of whom he's simply never found, I think the line 'There's no one in view' signifies how he's not singing to any actual person but an idealised vision of one, his 'dream partner' perhaps. Obviously in Morrissey style I think he doesn't say the word sex because he's always been such an anti sex lyricist, the lyric 'most people keep their brains between their legs' springs to mind. Anyway I just wondered what all your opinions of this song and it's mind blowing lyrics were...

It is an extremely beautiful (and sad) song. I hope the upcoming album has a soul-barring track like this. Pigsty came close, but it sounds like a description of melancholy rather than a cathartic release of it. This one is positively raw with spent emotion.

i thought pigsty was pretty soul bearing as well , it was the one song that hit me straight way from that album

i'd love to , i havent listened to this in ages , perhaps years let me get back to you

i overlooked this song for years - but finding the alternate US version last week made me listen to it. it's a great song. i don't know why it was left off the vauxhall album

I know what you mean, vivabob. The first time I heard Pigsty I choked up a bit near the end. It is a powerful song, and very well done. But... I'm trying to think of a way to put this... to me, on songs like Pigsty, it sounds like he's singing it. But on I'd Love To (and Trouble Loves Me, and WDYFOFY, etc.) it sounds like he's living it.

A great b-side indeed, ever singel shoudl have one:). Allthough I have to say that it was fortunate that it didn't get a place on Vauxhall & I, the album would be to heavy and lose some of it's black humor that songs like The Lazy Sunbathers provide.

I think it's a song anyone can identify with. We've all had that desperate crush on one person and no one else will do at some time in our lives surely?

It is an extremely beautiful (and sad) song. I hope the upcoming album has a soul-barring track like this. Pigsty came close, but it sounds like a description of melancholy rather than a cathartic release of it. This one is positively raw with spent emotion.

I hope the new album DOESN'T have a track like this one.

I hope it DOES in an empathetic sense, that he understands the pain we all go through struggling with our own loneliness, but I hope it DOESN'T for his case. Some day it's Morrissey's turn not to be alone.

I love this track, so delicate and bittersweet.

I think he's saying "If I can't have you, I don't want nobody, baby" ...seriously and in a disco kind of way for amusement :D

this song would break my heart if i had one,its breathtaking and beautiful.it is gorgeous.

I love this track, so delicate and bittersweet.

I think he's saying "If I can't have you, I don't want nobody, baby" ...seriously and in a disco kind of way for amusement :D

I agree very much with the above statements. :D

I hope it DOES in an empathetic sense, that he understands the pain we all go through struggling with our own loneliness, but I hope it DOESN'T for his case. Some day it's Morrissey's turn not to be alone.

Consider a world where Morrissey isn't alone, interesting, he's too real to have the audacity to continue writing songs about loneliness and solitude, yet by doing so i'm sure he'd lose so many fans. That's the main thing that draws listeners in in my opinion, he shares our loneliness. Obviously that can't be true of all fans but a vast proportion I'm sure.

I dont think it gets much better than this song when it comes to feeling alone and longing to be with someone. It is one of my favourites because of the rawness of emotion that comes through in the lyrics as other people have already mentioned. I think the music is a little bit like Gavin Friday's song 'Angel' which was used in 'Romeo and Juliet' which adds to the song's saddness.

Last edited:
Consider a world where Morrissey isn't alone, interesting, he's too real to have the audacity to continue writing songs about loneliness and solitude, yet by doing so i'm sure he'd lose so many fans. That's the main thing that draws listeners in in my opinion, he shares our loneliness. Obviously that can't be true of all fans but a vast proportion I'm sure.

I like to imagine a world where Morrissey's work is done and he doesn't have to worry about his fans, but rather himself and the one he's loved, the one he'd "love to" with.

Back
Top Bottom