Morrissey Central "INTERLUDE CHART POSITION" (April 27, 2024)

Last edited by a moderator:
General Consensus famously suffered defeat at
the Battle Of Brownstown in 1812.
Even though he outnumbered his opponent 8 to 1,
he still couldn't get the victory.
So much for General Consensus.

That. Is. A. Disc. Race! (bit of Lettuce Liz humour for you, courtesy of one of her constituents). Seriously, though, I saw a statistic recently that claimed that a quarter of UK adults have savings of £200 or less, so the price does seem quite high in that context.

The subtext of this entry into the Morrissey Central canon (whose complete Messages From Morrissey I would one day dearly love to see bound into a huge coffee table book) is ‘even though this was vastly over priced, it still penetrated the top ten chart, which proves my records still sell despite the attempts to cancel morrissey. Morrissey is not cancelled by the record buying public, even if many of them have/will scalp this record’.

28 pounds ($35!) for a reissue of a 30 year old single (not that great to begin with)? Yeah, pretty absurd price.
No, it's standard for the RSD range.

Yeah - the price was silly, but looking at some other releases that seems to be the norm for Record Store Day 2024 - John Lennon 12 single £27.99, Ramones demo LP £38.99, etc. The whole thing is aimed at scalping collectors. Limit the editions, inflate the price - sit back and watch the cash roll in.

I owned the cd back in the day, but didn't like it that much. The singers seemed to compete with one and other, rather than completing each other. So it didn't really work. They also had a row about the video, as I recall it correctly.

I found half a dozen of these still on sale in my local record shop when I popped in today. I was feeling flush, and in a charitable mood, so I bought one - despite the ridiculous price.

If anyone missed one and really wanted one, there are still plenty out there.

What Morrissey means is, it would have been a sure-fire number one but, alas, those in power had to do everything they could to usurp him. After all, he should rightly be bigger than Elvis Presley but his anti-royalty sentiments and refusal to 'play the game' have made him an enemy of many and, thus, the cohorts of coercion collude and conspire to deny him rightful place at the top of the tree.
Ffs......

What Morrissey means is, it would have been a sure-fire number one but, alas, those in power had to do everything they could to usurp him. After all, he should rightly be bigger than Elvis Presley but his anti-royalty sentiments and refusal to 'play the game' have made him an enemy of many and, thus, the cohorts of coercion collude and conspire to deny him rightful place at the top of the tree.
Ffs......
I don't know what he meant but looking at the number one in that week, Olivia Rodrigo's 7" coloured vinyl of a previously unreleased cover song for Record Store Day, I see on ebay a copy with a Rough Trade price sticker at £12.99. It's hardly surprising if that format at that price sold more than Interlude. Perhaps the charts should make more distictions between physical copies.

Sorry Morrissey, maybe you'd be number 8 if I bought one, buuuut... I don't like the song. 🥲

I will buy Beethoven was Deaf. 💐

I love his snarky remark about the price, funny. I'm sure Morrissey is just loving this updated world... I sure know I hate it with every fiber of my being.

The Autobiography audiobook is available in sections via static links here:

I do now have the unabridged Penguin audiobook version in its original 'm4b' format (about 380mb / 13 hrs). If there's any interest in it - I will add it to the downloads section.
FWD.

Is the unabridged version read by David Morrissey or someone else?

Back
Top Bottom