"Johnny Marr says The Smiths had a “blind spot” of being obsessed with media and notoriety" - NME (July 5, 2021)

shoplifterromo sends the link:

"Particularly one certain member of the group"

Excerpt:

Speaking to Poet Laureate Simon Armitage for the new BBC Radio 4 series The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed, Marr said that the band could have done with “less” coverage at the height of their 1980s fame.

Discussing how it became their blind spot, Marr said: “I was in a very very big ‘music press’ band, which now I’m older I think we could’ve done with less of that.

“I wouldn’t say it was our downfall but I think it was a blind spot of The Smiths, being so occupied with the media and notoriety – particularly one certain member of the group. I think that could’ve been dialled down a bit and would’ve helped the group out.”

Related item:

Just leaving this little snippet from 2002 here, when The Smiths were voted as the band to have had the most influence on the NME...

NME 20 April 2002

JohnnyNME2002.JPG

The article iself gives quite an insight into how the paper saw their relationship with the band. An astonishingly arrogant piece of writing, actually. Rehashing their old favourite topics, but not irrelevant to this thread (@Nerak , you should probably keep your valerian drops handy if you plan on reading it 😉).
Stating that his music on Viva Hate seemed 'bereft of tunes' is certainly one of the more bizarre things I've read...

Last edited:
Just leaving this little snippet from 2002 here, when The Smiths were voted as the band to have had the most influence on the NME...

NME 20 April 2002

View attachment 74025

The article iself gives quite an insight into how the paper saw their relationship with the band. An astonishingly arrogant piece of writing, actually. Rehashing their old favourite topics, but not irrelevant to this thread (@Nerak , you should probably keep your valerian drops handy if you plan on reading it 😉).
Stating that his music on Viva Hate seemed 'bereft of tunes' is certainly one of the more bizarre things I've read...

I had to give up - my blood pressure couldn't take it.

NME hacks must be the dumbest people to walk the Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

NME 20 April 2002

View attachment 74025

"we only went and destroyed his band" - so, so grim.

"we only went and destroyed his band" - so, so grim.

"We ridiculed him, demonised him, accidentally split up his band..."

And they claim that they became disappointed with him because his "records were poor"...

Yeah, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I are terrible records and widely regarded as the absolute bottom of 90s pop music...

And they claim that they became disappointed with him because his "records were poor"...

Yeah, Your Arsenal and Vauxhall And I are terrible records and widely regarded as the absolute bottom of 90s pop music...

I wish to God he'd never spoken to them in 2007. They deliberately fitted him up because that's their style.

Lots of folks on here trying to put down Marr.

Not cool, man.

:guitar::cool:
he's a wanker. His son is a bigger wanker. Slags Moz off all the time with not a word from wanker snr telling wanker jnr to step away from the computer. Failed solo artist. he can't stand the fact the Moz went on to international super stardom (maybe not suoer, but certainly stardom)and he went on to be the guitarist for Modest Mouse and the Cribs (amongst others).....he deserves putting down.

So you’re saying Johnny was right. The press had too much influence.

So you’re saying Johnny was right. The press had too much influence.

No. I didn't say that. And that's also not exactly what Johnny said. But you probably know that.

he's a wanker. His son is a bigger wanker. Slags Moz off all the time with not a word from wanker snr telling wanker jnr to step away from the computer. Failed solo artist. he can't stand the fact the Moz went on to international super stardom (maybe not suoer, but certainly stardom)and he went on to be the guitarist for Modest Mouse and the Cribs (amongst others).....he deserves putting down.

good thoughtful post, very insightful.(y)

Le :frogface: Jr is incredibly annoying.
Also of note, Le :frogface: Sr was fired from all those groups
the mouse group and the cribs group as well. both
sucky groups btw.:hammer:

The failed solo artist who's last 3 albums have been in the top 10?

The failed solo artist who's last 3 albums have been in the top 10?
:ROFLMAO: How many copies does a No.1 album sell these days? I think Marr and his mates would have been enough to put him in the top ten.

:ROFLMAO: How many copies does a No.1 album sell these days? I think Marr and his mates would have been enough to put him in the top ten.

I take it your unaware that Marr's last album had higher first week sales than Morrissey's last 2. :ROFLMAO:

I take it your unaware that Marr's last album had higher first week sales than Morrissey's last 2. :ROFLMAO:

"Higher first week sales". That's really funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Dear God, I hope you're not a manager. Or an accountant.

:)

the dombo comet album only made it to no 7(n)
in the Uk:lbf:
:hammer:

"Higher first week sales". That's really funny. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Dear God, I hope you're not a manager. Or an accountant.

I think you're missing the point, the original poster said he was a failed solo artist, in my opinion he isn't. He charts regularly and sells out venues regularly, failed solo artists don't do either.

I think you're missing the point, the original poster said he was a failed solo artist, in my opinion he isn't. He charts regularly and sells out venues regularly, failed solo artists don't do either.

Chart placings and venue sales are not the same thing, so you're conflating two arguments.

Johnny said Moz's/the band's relationship with the press was to the detriment of the band. You just proved that with what you posted.

Johnny said:

"I wouldn’t say it was our downfall...".

He said Morrissey's preoccupation with the media was the problem, not the band's treatment by the press. I don't agree with that statement.

If you read the article, you'll see that the quote I posted mostly refers to his relationship with the NME post-Smiths.

Johnny "I'll throw stones 'cause M doesn wont work with me" Marr

If not for M , the smiths would have just been a run of the mill , Noel G type indie band ,.
Maybe but if not for The Smiths, Morrissey would not have a solo career and likely no music career. Morrissey could immediately work with Stephen Street because he was in The Smiths. In other words, being in The Smiths made Morrissey a known entity and therefore he could then work with other known entities in the music business.

Obviously, Morrissey had talent in abundance... but does anyone honestly think without Johnny seeking him out and getting him out of his bedroom to form The Smiths we would be here talking about him now? Sure he had the talent, but does anyone honestly think Morrissey had the drive and hustle to form his own band?

It's possible, but I don't believe it would have happened for Morrissey regardless, that some other Johnny figure would have sought him out and he would be right where he is now.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom