Kristeen's Been Sacked

I have been reading all of the collective thoughts on this subject on both these forums and the Kristeen Young chatrooms.

Kristeen has:eek: chat rooms????I`m off to investigate......is it made up of two argumentative fans and a moderator?:D

exactly. isn't the oldest one somewhere around 20 years old at this point anyway?

Even some 8 years old know what it is. Which shows how mankind have progressed the last few years.

I have been reading all of the collective thoughts on this subject on both these forums and the Kristeen Young chatrooms and I suppose I feel like I need to vent here a bit and be blunt. Yes do I think what Kristeen said was tactful no I really dont I mean it was an attempt at humor and probably her getting pissed off at the many hecklers some of you on these forums and some not and I'm sure she has grown rather tired of it. While granted I dont know what went on in the back rooms of the tour I still feel however that while what Kristeen said might have been crude Morrissey's reaction was by all means childish and in many respects disgusting. I've been a fan of both artists for years (I watching KY grow from the STL music scene of which I am from to where she is now) and all I have to say it Morrissey is well acting like a crashing bore. He hyped her up as a titan of music and while some of you might have found that a bit odd I personally did agree with his praise. But then he let his fans heckle her brutally at the concerts I saw her at without offering a peep in her defense. And then when she takes one retort back while at his expense a bit he sacks her and leaves her out to dry. To be frank its sickening and childish and to be honest I just hope it doesnt mean he somehow gets Visconti to not work on a new album with her because that would make me more ill. I will still listen to and enjoy Morrissey the musician but to be frank I no longer have any respect for the thicker than pigshit bore that is the man. Crucify me if you will for saying it but I felt it needed to be said. These are my thoughts nothing more nothing less

I'm not going to crucify you Ethan, that was a fairly expressed opinion, much more readable than the rants by Sonic Fungus, which are disproportionately angry and all the more illiterate for it.
However, I think you should look again at what occurred here (not least at the rumours leaking from the tour that there was more to it than just those comments). I'll preface my opinion by saying that I'm by no means prudish, one of the main reasons I became a Morrissey fan was down to his love of British comedy, his wordplay and his mischevious discussions of sexuality. I'm a fan of everything from the veiled innuendo of the Carry On films to the expletive laden Derek and Clive and I know that Morrissey must swear, think filthy thoughts and indulge in kinky practices behind closed doors; he's human and what's more, he's freely admitted to such things. However, there's a time and a place and a means of expression for finding filth funny and implying that a human is bestial. On stage Morrissey is objectified in a sexual manner, yes, but he is also deified. You cannot project that image when thousands of people have just had the picture planted in their minds of you between the legs of the previous act.
I didn't particularly rate Kristeen's music, but I loved her harmonising on Sweetie-Pie and Morrissey certainly thought the world of her at first. It seems however that, over time, she endeared herself less and less to the crew and the fans, and as happens with all great (unconsumated and consumated) love affairs, she became to look more and more ordinary to her mentor. There's nothing to shatter the last vestiges of love faster than ill chosen words with no redeeming context of humour, or poetry, or warmth.

Seeing as some are roundly villifying Morrissey for this, it'd be interesting if (as has been suggested) Morrissey had said the same thing about Kristeen (keeping in mind that the word 'cunnilingus' is much more taboo in England than the phrase 'give head'). Also, if this had been a female artist who's male support had graphically implied a relationship, would the boot then be on the other foot. Would we be roundly praising 'her' for not putting up with defamatory comments?
There are some artists who would have sued (due to our stupid compensation culture) for defamation of character under these circumstances, but Morrissey swiftly, quietly, and professionally told Kristeen that she wouldn't be needed anymore. Yet, to read these boards you'd think that he'd done the worst deed imaginable.

I mean, if his band (of over 10 years) love him and his crew love working for him as much as they do (and I know because I've spoken to many of them) then why is it thought that he's such a bad person to work for? So you have to play by certain rules because he's the boss, well, shock horror, he must be the first artist in the history of music to impose rules and ask for a bit of respect. In fact, I can't think of any examples in 'real' life where someone would have to 'respect' their boss. Let's all see what would happen if we went to work tomorrow and announced to collegues and customers that the boss gives great head. I reckon we'd all be in for a promotion.

Seeing as some are roundly villifying Morrissey for this, it'd be interesting if (as has been suggested) Morrissey had said the same thing about Kristeen (keeping in mind that the word 'cunnilingus' is much more taboo in England than the phrase 'give head').

Exactly. I believe the majority of people would say "Oh, how inappropriate" or be a bit turned of by it at least.

After reflecting for a few days, the whole thing is just bizarre. I was aghast when Morrissey played Letterman he chose to perform "That's How People Grow Up" and Kristeen was prominently displayed onstage with him (I don't remember much moree the performance but I do remember her outfit!). So in a few short months, with the tour winding down, he's gone from promoting her publicly to firing her over a a sentence likely uttered in frustration. It's just bizarre. The only thing I can imagine is ticket sales were waining and capping KY added an extra element of drama to the proceedings. If that's true, Moz you have changed.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Visconti's production so if there is now a rift that to me is the only good thing to come from this. Honestly who cares about his opening act anyway?

What's he going to do with the intro to 'That's How People Grow Up' then?

I don't like her music at all, but I feel sorry for her and I think she's been treated quite harshly.

I really couldn't care less, she'll survive and he'll be another fax number down....he's never being one to help himself yet complain that he's an outsider and not acknowledged by the music industry at all (like that is a bad thing Mogsy). Tis all very tiresome when you've liked him for a long time and seen many many people come (inc fans) and go....Boz Boorer really does deserve a medal.
Bring on the defence, yet again.
All the best!

not in this town! I don't know where you work but in most of the new york situations I have worked in that is so not true...

ummm, i have a bit of knowledge regarding HR policy. unless it's regarded as a threat, a person will be reprimanded. if it happens a 2nd time, he/she is gone. we're lawsuit crazy down here in DC.

The debates, some of them are silly and some of them are very interesting. It comes down to the fact that he did her a great many favors and she was disrespectful to him in public.

The only thing I can say against him is that he didn't seem to mind when she was rude to the audience, but when she was rude to him, she was let go. But that's Morrissey for you, and like I've said, I wouldn't have cared who opened the show. It was pretty much something you had to endure while waiting patiently for him, and well worth it. Anyway, the Kristeen drama did keep everyone's attention, and give them something to talk about, etc, etc. Plus, he isn't dumb; the contrast, when his show starts after you've sat through her berating you for not coming to see her, the mood, by contrast probably seems even greater than it would normally.

So it's simple. Don't make rude remarks about your employers or your friends in public, and if you do and they react by distancing themselves from you, don't be surprised. Morrissey did not do anything to her, she did it to herself.

Again, it's really simple.

She was rude. She was asked to leave.

I missed all this. What exactly did she say and in what context? No one has a recording of it up? All I can say is - wow.

Personally, I think he's being a bit harsh and a bit of diva.

A point I'd like to make, though - this isn't about her voice, so people who are banging on about that are missing the point entirely.

The debates, some of them are silly and some of them are very interesting. It comes down to the fact that he did her a great many favors and she was disrespectful to him in public.

The only thing I can say against him is that he didn't seem to mind when she was rude to the audience, but when she was rude to him, she was let go. But that's Morrissey for you, and like I've said, I wouldn't have cared who opened the show. It was pretty much something you had to endure while waiting patiently for him, and well worth it. Anyway, the Kristeen drama did keep everyone's attention, and give them something to talk about, etc, etc. Plus, he isn't dumb; the contrast, when his show starts after you've sat through her berating you for not coming to see her, the mood, by contrast probably seems even greater than it would normally.

So it's simple. Don't make rude remarks about your employers or your friends in public, and if you do and they react by distancing themselves from you, don't be surprised. Morrissey did not do anything to her, she did it to herself.

Again, it's really simple.

She was rude. She was asked to leave.

I agree with you entirely, Dave.

Personally, I think he's being a bit harsh and a bit of diva.

Maybe, but he's always acted a bit like a diva (and I love it!).

It seems to me that some people are suprised that he would do something like this. I personally would have been more suprised if he hadn't.

I agree with his decision, and I'm not just saying it because he's Morrissey.

He's on one hell of a sacking spree at the moment - au revoir Gary, so long Lloyd (the beefy bequiffed guitar tech), adios Kristeen.... If I worked with him, I'd be signing up to Pertemps right away!

I'm quite entertained by the idea of the replacement - Girl in a Coma have been around for ages, being support acts for Alain Whyte's Red Lightning, then I think for Boz as well, or at least Boz was dj'ing at one of their gigs. Wonder how much notice they were given to join the tour?

My own view is that maybe something was up and Moz was looking for a handy excuse. Or maybe he's pretending to be Alan Sugar and no-one can stop him.

275736S.jpg

so long Lloyd (the beefy bequiffed guitar tech),

Really. That's a shame. :(

My own view is that maybe something was up and Moz was looking for a handy excuse. Or maybe he's pretending to be Alan Sugar and no-one can stop him.

Or Young made a savvy career move and decided to go out with a bang. Now she'll be noted as the woman who said that thing about Morrissey, rather than the support act with whom the audiences got bored. For all we know, Morrissey might have been in on the whole thing.

/improbable theory

Last edited:
I have thought about this for a few days, and I must say and its really only my theory, but i haven't read this complete thread, so if it this has already been posted, i do apologize.

The night KY was canned. I mainly think it was because many of the band members families were in attendance. Boz had his wife and youngest daughter there, Moz and his sister and nephews. I don't believe in censorship, but there is a time and place for everything... this wasn't one of them. I believe that she didn't know that "the families" were in the audience and well.. that's it.

just my opinion you guys.. not a biggie.

cheers

I have thought about this for a few days, and I must say and its really only my theory, but i haven't read this complete thread, so if it this has already been posted, i do apologize.

The night KY was canned. I mainly think it was because many of the band members families were in attendance. Boz had his wife and youngest daughter there, Moz and his sister and nephews. I don't believe in censorship, but there is a time and place for everything... this wasn't one of them. I believe that she didn't know that "the families" were in the audience and well.. that's it.

just my opinion you guys.. not a biggie.

cheers

She would have known all the families were there unless she never spoke to any of the crew or band, as it's obvious the families flew out especially for the NY shows.

Back
Top Bottom