Let's Talk About Shoplifting

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
Have you ever? If so what were the circumstances?

When I was about 13 I used to steal Playboys and Penthouses from Waldenbooks in Griffith Plaza. I'd stuff them up under my coat and walk out, bike to Kady Ditch and look at them under the bridge, then drown them in the stream because the guilt was way too much for me to handle.

The guilt from stealing, the guilt from looking at naked women.

I was Catholic, you see.

Okay, here goes...

I stole books when I needed them and was too poor to buy them. I stole food from the grocey store when I had no job and my deadbeat manfriend had no job and if he was ever under the illusion of "going without" some particular thing, he made my life hell. So I stole whatever it was I thought would keep him calm that day, cookies, fancy bread, whatever. I stole to survive, not because I got a dark kick out of it. ANd the food thing was a bizarre circumstance. I am a hard worker, I was put on sedative meds after the whole Vegas scare I'm about to talk about, I COULDN'T work, it's not that I was lazy. I eventually DID go back to work AGAINST doctor's orders but the guy I was living with was freeloading and evil, it was sad sad times. So I stole food to keep him from being abusive, if thats any rationalization.

And the biggest thing was a Volvo S80. I was in Las Vegas following signs, just learning how to read them and a sign said I needed a car with a GPS device. So I walked onto a Hertz rental car lot, followed the signs to the Volvo, saw the keys were in the ignition and took it. I drove it off the lot and around Vegas for days, traded cleaning favors for food and showers and gas money. I'd clean the restroom of a truckstop and the guy gave me free showers. Anyway to make a long story short I drove it through the Mojave Desert and it got stuck in a ditch and I abandoned it and kept walking. Later when I turned up in Needles, CA, my friends pieced my story back together and came with a trailer out to where I abandoned the stolen car and hauled it back to the rental lot. No charges were pressed, they just wanted their car back. :D I am a lucky duck.

I don't steal things anymore. I know how to, but I don't. I had an epiphany.

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. :o

Last edited:
this...well not this one. The circumstances? I wanted it.

00103-web.jpg

this...well not this one. The circumstances? I wanted it.
Sweet! I had all those figures even though my parents never took me to see the actual movies. I used to make Lobot transform into Bossk, werewolf-style. I had no idea what the hell any of them really were or did, I just made it up as I went along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, here goes...

...the biggest thing was a Volvo S80. I was in Las Vegas following signs, just learning how to read them and a sign said I needed a car with a GPS device. So I walked onto a Hertz rental car lot, followed the signs to the Volvo, saw the keys were in the ignition and took it. I drove it off the lot and around Vegas for days, traded cleaning favors for food and showers and gas money. I'd clean the restroom of a truckstop and the guy gave me free showers. Anyway to make a long story short I drove it through the Mojave Desert and it got stuck in a ditch and I abandoned it and kept walking. Later when I turned up in Needles, CA, my friends pieced my story back together and came with a trailer out to where I abandoned the stolen car and hauled it back to the rental lot. No charges were pressed, they just wanted their car back. :D I am a lucky duck.

That is an awesome story. It seems way too abridged though, you should tell it in detail.

Sweet!though my parents never took me to see the actual movies..

WHAT????? that is just mean. :D

“They f*** you up, your mum and dad. / They may not mean to, but they do. / They fill you with the faults they had / And add some extra, just for you.” Philip Larkin

tumblr_lh1x2kDlGZ1qcnhhzo1_500.gif

I've accidentally stolen water bottles and bagels from the grocery store. I get thirsty and hungry sometimes while shopping, and I have forgotten to pay for the items a few times when I got to the cash register. I'll suddenly realize after I've left the store that I still have the water bottle in my hand and I hadn't put it up to pay for it.:o

I stole a 1980 diary at the end of 1979, I can't think of anything since.

Almost twenty years ago, I stole a couple Sandman books from a comic shop... It was out of spite because I realized the owner's grandson was keeping most of the comics I'd ordered for himself! This went on for almost a year before I found out other customers were experiencing the same thing as me. (What sucks is that a few of the comics "that never arrived in the shipments" are kind of hard to find now and are worth a little bit of money these days... damn it.)

Have I ganked anything else? I'll never tell! But I'll admit I got a nice little thrill out of my experiences :horny:

Almost twenty years ago, I stole a couple Sandman books from a comic shop... It was out of spite because I realized the owner's grandson was keeping most of the comics I'd ordered for himself! This went on for almost a year before I found out other customers were experiencing the same thing as me. (What sucks is that a few of the comics "that never arrived in the shipments" are kind of hard to find now and are worth a little bit of money these days... damn it.)

Have I ganked anything else? I'll never tell! But I'll admit I got a nice little thrill out of my experiences :horny:

Delirium!

at school we'd nick pencils out of the maths teachers jacket pocket when he walked passed,his head was always in the clouds. We put them back as he returned.Pure anarchy eh?

Okay, here goes...

I stole books when I needed them and was too poor to buy them. I stole food from the grocey store when I had no job and my deadbeat manfriend had no job and if he was ever under the illusion of "going without" some particular thing, he made my life hell. So I stole whatever it was I thought would keep him calm that day, cookies, fancy bread, whatever. I stole to survive, not because I got a dark kick out of it. ANd the food thing was a bizarre circumstance. I am a hard worker, I was put on sedative meds after the whole Vegas scare I'm about to talk about, I COULDN'T work, it's not that I was lazy. I eventually DID go back to work AGAINST doctor's orders but the guy I was living with was freeloading and evil, it was sad sad times. So I stole food to keep him from being abusive, if thats any rationalization.

And the biggest thing was a Volvo S80. I was in Las Vegas following signs, just learning how to read them and a sign said I needed a car with a GPS device. So I walked onto a Hertz rental car lot, followed the signs to the Volvo, saw the keys were in the ignition and took it. I drove it off the lot and around Vegas for days, traded cleaning favors for food and showers and gas money. I'd clean the restroom of a truckstop and the guy gave me free showers. Anyway to make a long story short I drove it through the Mojave Desert and it got stuck in a ditch and I abandoned it and kept walking. Later when I turned up in Needles, CA, my friends pieced my story back together and came with a trailer out to where I abandoned the stolen car and hauled it back to the rental lot. No charges were pressed, they just wanted their car back. :D I am a lucky duck.

I don't steal things anymore. I know how to, but I don't. I had an epiphany.

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. :o

Wow! That is a pretty impressive tale of stealing...and a Volvo, my favourite type of car :)
I must admit that I used to steal, never cars, just little things like books, diaries, jewellery, alcohol, Christmas presents when I had no money, the booklets that come with CDs. One of my 'best' was when I stole a dress from a fancy store -it didn't fit - so I took it back and said my aunty bought it for me but I didn't like it. The store lady didn't believe me, so she said "ok, we'll take it back but you have to get it dry cleaned first". I went to a drycleaners and told my tale of woe, she gave me a receipt ticket so I could say it had been dry cleaned. I went back to the store a couple of hours later, saw the same lady, gave her the receipt - she could not believe it! and got about $200 - which was quite a bit back in the day. I went and bought the first Suede album with some of the money.

Saw a review of this book on the history of shoplifting:

http://www.salon.com/news/crime/index.html?story=/books/laura_miller/2011/06/26/the_steal

Wow. Interesting stories. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom