"Low In High School" review by Stephen Troussé in Uncut (5/10, Dec. 2017)

If I'm 'reading too much into it' are you saying that not that much thought could have gone into the writing of the lyrics? Judging by the lyrics on some of the other songs on this album, you could be right! Maybe it's just a straightforward song about 'Jacky', a girl who's feeling low in high school, and who wants to forget her troubles by getting up on stage; a song in a similar vein to 'Kid's a Looker'. Yes, that makes sense. Surface readings are the best. Thank you for bringing me back to my senses and stopping me from putting too much undue consideration into things. I mean, when has 'Morrissey' ever been known to write metaphorically or allegorically about anything? Who did I think he was -- Sheeran?

He's not as cryptic as you wish he was.

The site with the worst and most hate-driven ‘moderators’ on this side of the planet, that’s for certain.

Simply pathetic.

If you don't agree with the site administrator's policy, why do you come here?

Can you name other similar sites which allow you to openly criticize site administrator and mods?

You are totally rude and ungrateful to David's generosity.

Last edited:
the journalist is simply saying that he is ruining his legacy and running the risk of not being remembered as the great artist who co-wrote the queen is dead, but instead the crackpot who left behind many more lyrically terrible albums than good ones. curtis of course, didn't write all these bad albums, the output was smaller, so will, creatively, be better respected in musical history.

i suspect for morrissey the well ran dry years ago. some of these new songs have the worst lyrics ever though, and sadly there's no one in his life to tell him. it's sad to see him surrounded by hack musicians, and no one to say, hey wait a minute, this is crap isn't it? but he believe his own genius... only it's no longer there.

the career descent has been largely self-inflicted. marr just had enough (and who can blame him?) street seemed the nicest guy ever and would probably have keep collaborating as long as he was paid... Alain and Boz probably could have provided more adventurous musical backdrops, but instead were encouraged to churn out the same old same old, because anything would be great purely because of M's presence.

some of the new music sounds ok, as the article pointed out, it's just the lyrics that suck. and in many cases it sounds like they don't fit the music, like the singer is trying to sing a totally different song to what the band are playing.

he has fans because of (very much in the) past glories. but there's really nothing to look forward to with new releases. the songwriters needed to change, but morrissey has been in an artistic rut for a long time.

i think people get passionate because the early songs meant so much to them. but there's no sense listening to badly written and performed songs by anyone.

the ashes of morrissey's creative genius is around us, if only we could see it.

very very true words

Many times on M-Solow - there was open wish for death of M mother.
When you put this fact upon Moderators of M-Solow, they give you this answer: Do you know Morrissey also used to write really mean things... ... (Kewpie especially)
Well, so, show me when Morrissey used to write - death wish to (someone) rock-pop star/person mother.

See if you can dredge up Morrissey's old quotes about David Bowie and Johnny Rogan and you'll have your answer. He wasn't very cryptic about it.

Regards

How do you know?

Because he doesnt cloak his opinions on britain/politics/brexit and similar subject matter. We know full well how he feels about those things, he makes a habit of telling us. Why then precede to write a 5min cryptic song about about what we already know.

The song is about Jacky who is ONLY happy when she's up on the stage. That does remind me of someone. :rolleyes:

The Union Jack and the exit, exit (Bexit) song line are just clever but misleading suggestive leads drawing extra attention. And people responding to it, feeling offended only raising controversy by interpretating something that wasn't actually being said or sung.

I like the song very much and it has some same kind of meaning to me as "The Girl Least Likely too".
It's a sort of sociological view, not really that negative, or positive, I can even hear some compassion in it.
It is about someone, a person, seen in a typical Moz view.
Maybe himself.

Like some posters said before, I can't get the repetitive exit, exit, exit, everybody's running to the exit out of my mind. :head-smack:
Is that good, or bad?
It amuses me. ;)

Because he doesnt cloak his opinions on britain/politics/brexit and similar subject matter. We know full well how he feels about those things, he makes a habit of telling us. Why then precede to write a 5min cryptic song about about what we already know.
His way of celebrating? :cool:

Simply because it's a song

What do you think the song is about?

Maybe it's about Jacky Stallone living vicariously through her son, Rocky Balboa, ''Lost you'' is a reference to when Apollo Creed died, and ''Up on stage'' is the Ring, which is the only place she feels at home and she can seek some sort of redemption against Ivan Drago, and all the russians are heading for the EXIT, THE EXIT - You can fit the lyrics to however they suit you really.

Mother? Bowie and Rogan mother?
--- and still we have no proof ---

I thought you were calling Kewpie 'mother'. I have no idea what you mean by 'mother'. Where's nothappynotsad with her Norman Bates avatar?

Yes, he didn't cloak his opinions in his statements on the French presidential election and the Manchester arena bombing at all, did he? His "everybody is too afraid to say in public what they say behind closed doors" comment was as plain as day. As for songs: Bengali in Platforms and National Front Disco were Moz being Ambiguous also, and look at the controversy they've aroused over the years.

This is taking his prevaricating public statements and ambiguity of the songs just mentioned and adding an allegorical layer to it. Still it's easy enough to decipher. "Why write a 5min cryptic song", you asked -- it's because lyrics are written in a different style to public statements. I'm not saying this is Art, but it's modern Morrissey's attempt at it, along with probably getting a kick out of writing a song where the hidden context will pass many by (he hoped). See 'Panic', 'Billy Budd', even 'Wide to Receive' for past examples in his oeuvre of this way of writing.

I'm off to my bed to dream of a 9 out of 10 Morrissey album,will let you know in the morning what it sounded like.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom