Morrissey Central "Mexico City" - dengue infection will take 2-3 weeks to clear; tour to resume in Florida (September 10, 2023)

Looks like he caught Dengue Fever - all shows cancelled until Florida on 7 October. All South American dates cancelled.

Morrissey’s arrival in Mexico City has resulted in a dengue infection. The virus will take 2-3 weeks to clear.

The tour is set to resume in Florida.

Morrissey has not ‘cancelled’ any shows, but the infection makes the immediate two weeks impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who hasn't lied to get out of something? Granted, most of us have told lies that are 'smaller' in nature, but when you boil it all down, it's just a lie. Nothing more. Pulling a sickie. We've all done it. And according to Noel Gallagher, Moz has form. He's done it before. Or are you accusing Noel of lying?

I don’t know if he’s sick or not sick.

With the information given, one can take the high road and wish him well, or one can take the low road and do ‘the solo’= imply that he’s lying because of this, that and the other thing.

It’s your choice, Gash.

31 gigs, 3 cancellations. I feel I’ve got off lightly.
32 and only one cancellation (the second night at Finsbury Park). I stopped seeing him live after the 2004 tour so that might have something to do with it. There were occasional cancellations on the early tours but luckily never one I was attending. And they were so sporadic as to be acceptable sick days. In fact I remember towards the end of the Boxers tour he struggled gamely on with a noticeable heavy cold for a good few nights. Hard to see that happening now.

I'm sure that's very true. It must all be very disappointing for the thousands of fans in Mexico and South America who will miss an opportunity to see their hero sing live - especially as, let's face it, they may not get another, unless they have money to travel. Poor Latinos, they are the best audience in the world, the friendliest and the most generous people in the world, and deserve better.
Just to add - Paul McCartney is playing 7 dates in Brazil in November and December this year, and he's 81.
But to my ears Paul McCartney doesn't sing look or well now, and this is from a scouser.

Yikes! That's unexpected; harsh judgements, from The would-be Greatest. Morrissey's been prominent in the public eye since his twenties when he was a skinny dark-haired blue-eyed boy. 'I apologise, I grow old', as the lyric goes. It's easy to track someone like that as their features alter to indicate age, but equally, as Morrissey does his rounds year after year, he must register familiar faces, note silver threads spreading, and 'see these lines'. Dorian Grey paused the ravages of the passage of time, but that's a work of fiction, isn't it? Reality check time, on that score. Put Morrissey in a line-up of 64-year-olds, and he's still the pick of the crop.

Irish Tribute band These Charming Men continue their tour, and given the regrettable absences in Mexico and other South American dates, it's interesting to read that they were "requested to appear in Morrissey’s absence at the Fuji Rock Festival in Japan 2004 to play to an audience of some 35,000 people."

"Him not being taken to court for cancelling gigs." What does that signify? Re. new artist management, you might have seen this tweet, unfortunately reversing the news Peter Katsis is back. May someone suitable step forward soon and ease the load.

Any sign of Carmen, btw? We still don't actually know who's sick. Nice to see the discretion and solidarity of band-mates. Speedy recovery wished to them laid low.

Incidentally, Miley Cyrus just managed to bag 5 MTV awards. But will they make her happy?

Autumn falls here, nights grow darker, and an air of melancholy descends. Another year of growing sputters out, the harvest's nearly in, and firewood piled up. Poor us ephemeral humans, and yet, despite inevitable trials, only plying more on ourselves. So, as the appetite for complaining is so voracious here at the moment, how about letting off steam on a few other concerning developments, such as

the state of the world's oceans

weapons fair in London

the end of the world, literally

He mentioned his illness making him look older back in 2014. It's not really age - it's not being well.

He would have to pay out for every cancelled gig if he didn't have a good reason for breaking the contract. He will have a diagnosis, which he's entitled to keep private.

never had a cancellation,must be the clean scottish air.

Indeed.
The funny thing is he's now looking a lot better than Robert Smith and Paul Weller who are around his age. Back in the 1990s when they were all in their 30s, he probably looked the oldest. His hair is mysteriously a lot thicker and fuller than it was in his mid to late 30s!
robert smith is a big ball of sweat,yuk,and weller looks ridiculous with that haircut which went out with the ark.

And btw, he looks great. Could pass for 54.
its a new thing you can buy in the shops its called dengue,guaranteed to take ten years off you,madonna and cher will be on a plane to mexico as we speak.

32 and only one cancellation (the second night at Finsbury Park). I stopped seeing him live after the 2004 tour so that might have something to do with it. There were occasional cancellations on the early tours but luckily never one I was attending. And they were so sporadic as to be acceptable sick days. In fact I remember towards the end of the Boxers tour he struggled gamely on with a noticeable heavy cold for a good few nights. Hard to see that happening now.
Can I trust you got to see Morrissey at the first Finsbury Park concert? Some I’ve spoke to said the hostility was way overstated, but Gallon Drunk (who played the second night) told me it was a cauldron.

Can I trust you got to see Morrissey at the first Finsbury Park concert? Some I’ve spoke to said the hostility was way overstated, but Gallon Drunk (who played the second night) told me it was a cauldron.
Yes I did. It was nasty where I was standing. Lots of shouted abuse and a few thrown coins. It didn't feel threatening to me as a Moz fan though, they just seemed to hate that Moz was there spoiling their vibe. It's not like they were punching the fans or anything.

I love Gallon Drunk. Have met James and Terry on many occasions and they are always total sweeties. Love them both.

Out of interest, who has had gigs cancelled and how many? What’s the ratio of your gigs attended vs cancelled?

I’ve seen him 3 times now and he turned up and was great at all of them so hard to relate but I’ve heard some people say he has cancelled every time they’ve tried to see him so maybe I’d feel very differently if that was me.

20 shows in total, 11 actually happened and 9 were canceled

All 9 in South America (2013 and 2023).

He mentioned his illness making him look older back in 2014. It's not really age - it's not being well.

He would have to pay out for every cancelled gig if he didn't have a good reason for breaking the contract. He will have a diagnosis, which he's entitled to keep private.
🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄💩💩💩💩💩💩🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Yet, here you are, discussing it - publicly.
And making vague hints and implications about his “illness”, publicly.

i have no idea how he manages to get tour insurance honestly. but "illness" as a reason for cancelation sees him get paid for the whole kit and caboodle whether he ever reschedules or not. frankly, i think he's a drunken grifter. he can't make money off record sales or get a label, but he can make money off fake touring. book dates, sell a bunch of tickets, claim illness and cancel, collect payment through insurance, repeat. he's been doing this for years.

Well Mozza is allegedly in LA now looking fiiiine
I was just thinking that I bet the next photo we see of him will be in some expensive restaurant joined at the knee with Damon as always and looking as well as ever and those of us who have been worried will feel stupid yet again.

I don’t know if he’s sick or not sick.

With the information given, one can take the high road and wish him well, or one can take the low road and do ‘the solo’= imply that he’s lying because of this, that and the other thing.

It’s your choice, Gash.
I have already said I wish him well.
I just calls'em as I sees'em in terms of the suggestion that the cancellation was due to dengue. As I said before, the statement clearly wasn't written by Morrissey.
I have also never used the word 'lie', only in response to others using that word. The statement was 'economical with the actualité' shall we say. Do I think Moz probably had a good reason to cancel these shows? Yes, of course. Do I know what the reason was? No, of course not. Is it our business to know? No, probably not.

Source for "2024" carry over:

onstage.agencia-15092023-0001.jpg

Really? So you've read his contracts? Post them. What's his diagnosis? Surely he's told you in your many conversations.

Source for "2024" carry over:

Important Announcement
40 Years of Morrissey
Morrissey's shows in Brazil have been postponed until the beginning of the first half of 2024

We regret to inform you that for health reasons, Morrissey was forced, on medical advice, to postpone his shows that were to take place on September 27th, at the Espaço Unimed concert hall, in the city of São Paulo, and September 30th, at the concert hall Opera Hall, in Brasilia. The new dates, which are yet to be announced, will take place at the beginning of the first half of 2024.

Previously purchased tickets remain valid and no changes will be necessary.

Onstage deeply regrets any inconvenience this situation may cause to the public. We also emphasize the importance of fans keeping their tickets, as the show is only postponed due to circumstances beyond control. This is a way of supporting the artist and the producer.

We appreciate everyone's understanding and wish Morrissey a speedy and great recovery.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom