Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all very exciting to me.

- - - Updated - - -

brutal that the cover has to include that terrible Penguin caption- such a great cover shot marred (that picture is the best thing about the last "Best of").

I'm with you, I hate that Penguin caption right in the middle. It's about Morrissey, not Penguin Publishing.

Well, it's September the 16th, and no sign of a Morrissey autobiography for pre-order on either Amazon or the Penguin website.

What exactly was that TTY bullshit really about, I wonder?

I’m sure when it finally comes out you’ll have something else to bitch about.

Have you ever read a book, Playcat? Serious question.

I don't wish to sound mean but I noticed your last ten posts average about 7 words each. You don't strike me as being book reading material.

Have you ever read a book, Playcat? Serious question.

I don't wish to sound mean but I noticed your last ten posts average about 7 words each. You don't strike me as being book reading material.

I dont need to type a novel to make my point. And you havent read it either but when you do I'm sure you'll review it negatively. And I do wish to sound mean.

Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

Just a quick post here, (just logged in, will address the other topics soon!
Im writing out some reply's and saving them 2 microsoft word ! )
But its obvioulsy upto morrissey, but ive been saying this for years now, why doesnt he self publish?
His auto biography book will sell, and will be a world wide best seller, I dont really see who publishes the book to be of any real significance nor importance!
In fact its irrelevant!
He could allways buy a top of the range printer (yes im being serious here,) and print the book himself?
Its costs about just £1,300 for a top of the range printer that can sing and dance and do almost anything!
Print museum archive quality fine art prints and yes print books just as professional as dedicated book printers !

He can still always sell it via mail order via true-to-you.net and get the book into all major book store and music store outlets ect
This is morrissey were talking about! book stores and music stores ect will all fall over themselves to stock it irrelevant as 2 who the publisher is!

Maybe theres isssues regarding the book novel chart position ? and self publishing may not allow him and us 2 see the official sales and numbers ect ?
Dunno! but i do feel very strongly the way forward for morrissey is to not only publish the book himself in paper format but 2 also audio format 2 via a audio cd box set format, that wud be loverly! but it MUST be read by morrissey himself!
we accept no other substitute!
Think the way forward these days tho is audio books , people really enjoy and appreciate listening to the book read by the author!
Its relatively easy to record an audio book!
Look at patti smiths self auto biography "just kids" ?
Ive got it , and listen 2 it over and over agian! its wonderfull ! her raw honesty is incredible! and by far the best thing is that its read by patti smith herself! :)

Well the longer he delays publishing the book the more interest there will be!
The mans a genious ! LOL :) well we allways knew this anyways!

But ultimately, and in the end, its up 2 morrissey , its his book, he can publish it if and when he wants 2!

We can only a-wait in anticipation - if and when your ready moz!
But we love ya no matter what! :)

Hearing him read his book to us would be fantastic! Who wouldn't want that?

Re: Article: Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books deal collapse; search for new publisher - tru

:barf:
Please pass me the sick bucket :ha-no:

It'd be great. I love his speaking voice.

Wow! I mean, WOW! How has this been kept so under the radar? I would imagine that publishers will be 'literally' fighting to sign Our Mozzer. Penguin could regret this decision, but they are obviously very uncomfortable about 'something' in the book. Perhaps they were worried about being sued. Morrissey will be gutted at losing Penguin, it suits him to be on Penguin, but he obviously wasn't prepared to take out the content in question. If other publishers take the same stance as Penguin, and Moz doesn't compromise, the book could remain unpublished for some time... perhaps that was the plan... A little bit of theatre and LOTS of press speculation. What great publicity... the unpublished book that they're all talking about, with the burning question, "WHAT is it that Penguin wouldn't publish?"
Hmm.

Rosy van Bleu

You can stop with your smug blue rose nonsense.You stole that from another fan , and you are sick people . Very annoying and self centered .Keep believing the lies because someone knows the truth.

Re: Penguin clarification via N.M.E...

I doubt this is anything new, just the NME catching up on moz's updated TTY statement :straightface:

Penguin are yet to confirm or deny anything so now we wait
I appreciate your view.
N.M.E. is not full of brilliant journalists, but...
'Penguin Books have confirmed...' implies some form of development in the story.
I mean, they wouldn't state that unless the're sure!?
Well, maybe... we live in hope ;)
Regards,
FWD

Re: Penguin clarification via N.M.E...

I appreciate your view.
N.M.E. is not full of brilliant journalists, but...
'Penguin Books have confirmed...' implies some form of development in the story.
I mean, they wouldn't state that unless the're sure!?
Well, maybe... we live in hope ;)
Regards,
FWD

To clear things up a little. There is not/ and never has been a signed contract with Penguin. That's not to say that one is not imminent, thats part of the story behind this whole TTY statement. Strange way to conduct your negotiations but this is Morrissey afterall, a man who doesn't take advice on board lightly. This information came from two different, and reliable, sources in publishing.

I hope he does not publish it, it's too intimate. Most on this board want to know what is inside his head, he doesn't want to be figured out, why put it in a book?

I think it's quite likely that NME got it wrong. Unfortunately. There were no new quotes in the article, just restating the TTY "clarification". If Penguin had made a statement, we would have new quotes from that. I think the other publications picked up the story from the NME.

Hopefully it does get published with in the next few weeks, but it hardly feel like a done deal. Alas...

I hope he does not publish it, it's too intimate. Most on this board want to know what is inside his head, he doesn't want to be figured out, why put it in a book?

I doubt he will want give too much away. He's a private person.

Isn't that the whole point tho?

I for one minute don't think he'll give much away. He will be as selective as he can. Otherwise much more of his enigma will be blown and I'm not sure if he will want to risk it. Maybe I'm wrong and he's now ready to tell all because he's certainly become a lot more confident in the last 10 years. Who knows, we'll never know until we've read it :)

Back
Top Bottom