Official Manager Statement regarding Morrissey’s health (January 26, 2024)

D6F4A7EB-137A-4C94-842C-C316837ACEA1.jpeg

NealCassady posted news of South America cancellation:

UPDATE 1:50PM PT:

Mexico City cancellation notice posted by On Returning.

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it difficult to understand people who are this nutty. I can imagine it being quite scary being famous, though a lot of the time the person chooses to chase fame. I struggle with the people who defend his every move, too. As though he's beyond criticism, and that you're no longer a fan should you engage in that type of behaviour.

I'm honestly surprised that "the group" on twitter saw fit to actually criticise him after this shitshow. I must admit, I didn't see that coming. This reminds me of them.
When I think about fame, I think about something Chloe Sevigny said. She was dating Jarvis Cocker and she said they could not go anywhere without mobs of people being after them and that made her decide she did not want that level of fame, so in a lot of ways, it can be a choice. She said it dictated a lot of her working choices after that. She's worked steadily since the 90s so I guess it can be done.
You are reminded of them by the I do everything Moz does? Unfortunately, there are too many people like that, it just shows a real lack of a personality or core. I get that people are unwell and sometimes can't help it, but for some it becomes a crutch, you have to be willing to try to help yourself.

This has all been very interesting. Moaning Myrtle made a right mess of things.

Bye for now. I’m of to the recordstore. There’s a new Smoking Popes single out and it’s absolutely magnificent! A Golden Moment!

Let me know when they give Morrissey the key to the city of Zurich.

An online search for physical exhaustion resulted in articles about fatigue. Here’s a snippet from Better Health for those concerned/curious.

Causes of fatigue​

The wide range of causes that can trigger fatigue include:

Fatigue can also be caused by a number of factors working in combination.

It's genuinely interesting watching people tie themselves in knots trying to defend him or explain his behavior. Posting "doing nothing in Paris" two weeks before using "physical exhaustion" as an excuse to cancel concerts is basically showing what he can get away with, enjoying the duplicity. I'm sure he knew weeks ago that he wasn't coming to Los Angeles, that he simply wanted to stay in Europe on his leisurely vacation, because his feelings and whims are all that matter and obligations and duty mean nothing to him. I don't know him personally and do not claim to "understand" him on a personal level, but these are obvious hallmarks of a personality disorder. Surely some of you have known someone like this in your own lives? They are exhausting and insufferable. Nothing is ever their fault, they always have an excuse, somehow everyone they have ever met has done them wrong, and even when they are caught in a lie, they keep lying.
I'm sure I'll be dismissed as a "hater," but I'm old and was a fan for a long time. I saw The Smiths live several times. But age and life experience brought contact with these types of people in everyday life, in work and personal relationships, and with that a realization that I no longer wanted to follow or make excuses for a person like this.
Of course you can still like his songs and even still buy tickets to future concerts should they happen, but why try to dance around the obvious? In his own words, taken from an interview a while back: "I lie a lot - it's really useful."

I went to most of the gigs you mentioned he was good but no way was he a patch on smiths / 90s moz no way. Also he did some great gigs in Brighton and Camden and Brixtton from 2004 to 2009 and the gigs you mentioned were no way as good as that either . In my opinion . For the last 10 years or so , no matter how good the gigs are , you often get a sense of him going through the motions.
I do have to say I disagree with you on that. I've seen Moz about a dozen times. The first time I saw him was the Bowie Outside Tour in 1995, and the last time I saw him was Brixton Academy in 2022. The 2022 show was easily the best show I have ever seen. The Bowie show was the worst. Ok, I know that's not a great show to compare with. But I also preferred Brixton in 2022 to Moz's birthday show in Manchester in 2004, for example. When Moz is on form, he never just goes through the motions.

The other thing that is so odd about this statement - it is from Morrissey's manager, Morrissey's tour manager indeed, and yet nowhere does it mention the upcoming tour, or express any sentiment towards the thousands of devoted Latino fans who will have bought tickets. Some sites are still selling tickets for the shows in South America. I wonder what percentage of a monthly salary is a ticket to see Morrissey in South America? The statement from Ocesa just mentioned the Mexico City show being cancelled. The tour seems to have been cancelled via a headline in a Tweet from Pogopedia. This isn't management - this is a PR disaster.
All his good managers dumped him. Merck anyone?

SACK DONNIE KNUTSON.

Absolute blunt and shite statement.

Diva Steve is now finished. It’s over and done with now. The treatment given to a supporting loyal fan base has been beyond shocking.
Its now got to the point that absolutely nothing can be believed that comes from Camp Steve.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:
The question is, though, who is the statement actually for? It is clearly not written for the fans. It is also clearly not written for any fans in Latin America. So who is it for? The insurers? The other members of the band? I would imagine this statement from Mr Knutson is the first knowledge of Moz's whereabouts the other band members have had too.

Utter rubbish. If he isn't covering costs and bringing in the money, he cancels the show. That's the be-all and end-all of it.
This.
This fall in the bar at the Marquis:

Moz”I am huge in LA. Why don’t we do some big gigs. I would like some money”
Damien”yes. Yes you are huge. So big”
Moz” let’s play big show. Honda center”
Damien”yes yes. You will sell it out”
Moz” let’s do two nights. We can rent that yacht of Ibiza then”
Damien”oh. Yes! Yacht. Two night. You are huge in LA”
Moz snaps his fingers and Knutson brings another Gin and Tonic.

When someone has as much previous form for flaking out of shows as Morrissey, and the venue ticket sales were so poor that the venues were going to be half-empty despite offering 2-for-1 deals and giving away batches for free in local competitions, then it's not surprising that some of us catch the faint aroma of 'total bullsh*t' when offered an explanation like 'physical exhaustion'. :poop:o_O
Morrissey is well-known for canceling shows. The internet community, “fans” and non-fans alike, full well is aware of the risks of investing in tickets and accommodations and flights.
Fans who partake in bullying as an expression of their disappointment are abusers. Anger is one thing, but how adults express anger is another thing.
The word is the man has “physical exhaustion”. It might smell like bulls*t to you, but sometimes people think they are smelling bullsh*t when the smell is actually their own uncontrolled flatulence.

Physical exhaustion and/or chronic fatigue syndrome (Myalgic encephalomyelitis, the textbook term for it) may cause body aches but, more importantly in the case of a singer, cause memory loss, lack of concentration, lack of reaction etc….. so if someone were to consider themselves a serious ‘performer’ in front of a crowd, it would appear the ultimate humiliation.

Last edited:
An online search for physical exhaustion resulted in articles about fatigue. Here’s a snippet from Better Health for those concerned/curious.

Causes of fatigue​

The wide range of causes that can trigger fatigue include:
Fatigue can also be caused by a number of factors working in combination.
'Physical exhaustion' is often one of those bull shit diagnoses that a doctor will give you if you need to pull a sickie - like 'work related stress' - or, it's a euphemism for something else. The something else could be physical or mental. Same goes for 'under medical supervision'. That could be just a standard phrase to use in any statement of this nature. Or, it could mean he is receiving medical treatment for a condition.
The language used in the statement though - ordered to rest - and the location, have all the melodrama of a Victorian novel.

I just feel sorry for the fella. I like the "don't judge a person until you have walked (a mile) in their shoes" way of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom