Scott Rodger (Maverick) leaks Morrissey information and email re: Bonfire / Miley via X (October 17, 2023)

There's been drama!

20231017_090414.jpg

20231017_090437.jpg

IMG_20231017_085912.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
I hate myself for saying this. I have followed The Smiths / Morrissey since I was 14.

It comes as no surprise that the biggest obstacle to Bonfire being released is Morrissey himself.

He takes self sabotage to a whole different level.
He needs psychiatric help not a record deal.
Nutjob with a pleasant voice.

If they can, I wonder why Capitol hasn’t released the album without Veronica.

Maybe there’s something in the licensing contract that prevents them from doing so.

Though, you may be right about WMTWD
coming out before. Maybe his plan was to just wait it out, and eventually Capitol would release BoT complete.
Why, assuming the the timeline, the provided email and everything else are accurate, why would capitol want to release the record from a guy who has been slagging the company publicly for 2+ years (it seems, inaccurately) publicly naming and shaming a CEO and all of the rest of it.

I can respect the nature and fiber of Morrissey's not wanting his artistic vision to be sullied especially if the recording session between the two of them was such a great memory, but it seems like even before the recording studio session happened Morrissey and company were warned that the record company would not sign off on a release! And they went ahead and did it anyway because artistic vision matters the most for them. I respect the tenacity and the audacity on some level, but if you take someone's money to record an artistic project and they give you conditions around which the project must be produced – and you intentionally violate those provisions for the sake of your own artistic vision – it's hard for me to have much sympathy for the company not to release the art that you took their money to produce – especially if you refuse to give it back.

The whole sticking point here (from Moz's perspective) seems to be that Miley herself has never requested not to be included, credited or used in the track. So is sticking to his convictions, but even as someone who has himself used managerial intermediaries to communicate wishes and to execute commands throughout the course of his career, you'd think he'd understand a little bit about the possibility that Miley might (on second thought) be having some reservations about her inclusion and be using the managerial shield as a way to passively affect the desired outcome.

In any case, take record companies money, refuse to produce the album with the conditions that the record company stipulates, so there release doesn't happen, refuse to return the money to get the album back and find another suitor, and then slag record company and its executives years and it's hard for me to blame the record company

seems the only way for Morrissey to release is for Miley to be removed either by remastering without her or deleting the track. That’s it, end of.

all this talk of buying the album back, this might be convenient for Capitol but it doesn’t get Morrissey into a place where he can release. The legal block will just move to the new label. What a mess.

If he doesn’t though… would you rather never hear the album?
I feel like artists get so badly ripped off as a result of streaming, although I have spent north of £700 this year on tickets to see him + signed merch 😆 so maybe that’s my contribution already.

He'll have spent your 700 quid on crisps and gin.

seems the only way for Morrissey to release is for Miley to be removed either by remastering without her or deleting the track. That’s it, end of.

all this talk of buying the album back, this might be convenient for Capitol but it doesn’t get Morrissey into a place where he can release. The legal block will just move to the new label. What a mess.
It’s not like anyone actually cares about having Miley on it or not, and the effect it would have on sales is debatable, but in the long term it will lose them all money if he is not able to get any other records released for a while due to being blacklisted etc.

It’s not like anyone actually cares about having Miley on it or not, and the effect it would have on sales is debatable, but in the long term it will lose them all money if he is not able to get any other records released for a while due to being blacklisted etc.

Morrissey cares - and seems to think Miley does too. And he won't budge. For him this whole thing seems to be another instance of label legalities and preferences getting in the way of organic artistic moments and vision. So I don't think were ever going to see it officially. And yes it will lose them all money, but it seems like they're willing to take the loss. Morrissey needs and wants record companies more than they seem to need or want him and that's also the reality of where everything seems to be

Morrissey cares - and seems to think Miley does too. And he won't budge. For him this whole thing seems to be another instance of label legalities and preferences getting in the way of organic artistic moments and vision. So I don't think were ever going to see it officially. And yes it will lose them all money, but it seems like they're willing to take the loss. Morrissey needs and wants record companies more than they seem to need or want him and that's also the reality of where everything seems to be
Nail on head.

Morrissey still appears to exaggerate the importance of being signed to a label.

This is 2023, not 1993.

Oh you silly old man, in your misguided trousers….

He has enough money to fix this problem and not blink an eye. He breached contractual agreements of not mentioning miley and now has burnt any goodwill from Capitol of getting the record to market.

I genuinely think he’s been hard done in the past, but this seems a very open and shut case. He refuses to self release, refuses to pay back his advance. There are routes out of this but the only block in the road is moz himself.

bonfire will come out sooner or later, and probably at the hands of Capitol, who may drop it without Veronica and kill it, like southpaw.
How was Southpaw killed?

Sometimes I think it would be a lot easier and a lot healthier to just be a casual fan. Just like the music and leave it there, don't read the books, don't bother with Solo because when you see how how M actually behaves, how he distorts situations... it just takes the shine off everything. That line about being helped "700%" by MC is unbelievable
Couldn't agree more. Enjoy the music, go see him live, but ignore all of this crap. No one can take away from the amazing music he's made from the Smiths up to some of the great tracks on Dog. And remember he's morrissey and he's always going to be difficult.

Good job bringing up exploitation of black artists, male chauvinism, and gender inequality to try to make it seem like you’re on the right side, even though none of that has anything to do with this situation :clap:
And the head of the record company being targeted is female.

Attention Johnny Marr: Please invite Miley Cyrus to appear on your next record!

Oh man that would be a fantastic thing for him to do! Zing!

As TS tweets, if the problem was that MC had an album out, why can’t it be released now seven months later?

Also
As TS tweets, if the problem was that MC had an album out, why can’t it be released now seven months later?
Because Columbia either has exclusive rights to Miley or they want to be paid for her contribution. Its one of the two, nothing else. TS is campaigning for an issue he knows nothing about.

Perfect voice for the I am Veronica re-recording :thumb:
Forget Miley ( pop-star , thicker than pig-shit nothing to convey so scared to show intelligence
It might smear her lovely career
) Viva Camila !!!

Back
Top Bottom