Strange/unexpected Moz references?

A very cool individual was playing 'Strangeways, Here We Come' at HMV, Oxford Circus this evening. I was tempted to ask a member of staff who it was who decided to put it on. A couple of weeks ago somebody was playing 'The Sound of The Smiths' at my local pub and I did ask who put it on, and I ended up making a new friend, so it's always worth it. :)

A very cool individual was playing 'Strangeways, Here We Come' at HMV, Oxford Circus this evening. I was tempted to ask a member of staff who it was who decided to put it on. A couple of weeks ago somebody was playing 'The Sound of The Smiths' at my local pub and I did ask who put it on, and I ended up making a new friend, so it's always worth it. :)

Nice story. Good for you. :)

A few nights ago, Paul McCloone on Today FM aired the rarely-heard Smiths tune I Don't Owe You Anything. Afterwards he discussed with a companion in studio how Paul Carrack - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Carrack - had played on that track and on a few others around the same time.

I wonder what the chances are that the attractive girl working in the book shop within Selfridges at the Trafford Centreyesterday is a solo-ist...

It brightened up my day to hear "Sound of the Smiths" being played very loudly ... too loudly for the other shoppers as no one was browsing the books, it was just her, mouthing along to the songs :D

Dave

And last week I was at a mall in Sandusky and they played "Suedehead" over the PA system. That struck me as both strange and unexpected. It came right after "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed.. Thank you...

*beeeeeeeeeep*

Last edited by a moderator:
And last week I was at a mall in Sandusky and they played "Suedehead" over the PA system. That struck me as both strange and unexpected. It came right after "With Arms Wide Open" by Creed.. Thank you...

*beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

Please do not quote spam links in your reply. Thanks.

zucchini.jpg

Wha? :squiffy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicky campbell's Radio 5 live phone-in this morning all about the legacy of punk in light of Malcolm Mclaren's demise.

Special guests were the ubiquitous punk expert John Robb (yawn) and "ex-Smiths drummer" Mike Joyce.

It was mildly amusing to hear Nicky Campbell recount his punk days (Nicky Campbell as a punk. LOL!) and all the listeners (mainly male, mid 40s, now working in IT) reliving their youth and how punk broke down the barriers and was revolutionary (which is why 30 years later we now have reunions and tribute bands, as well as a turgid mainstream music scene just a personal opinion)

One caller said he had seen The Smiths at the Ritz in 1982. He said he still attended gigs now and the spirit of punk still ran true. He cited the Editors and Los Campesinos as examples.

I must stop listening to Radio 5 Live

there is a barbershop in köln (cologne)which is named hairdresser on fire..she must be a moz fan
it it located in a district which is working class/multicultural
www.myspace.com/509909563
www.hairdresseronfire.de
i have scribbled down several unexpected referneces over the past time in order to post it here-so some of them are a while ago
there is tv show called retro charts on viva (who have never played moz) which plays older stuff-mainstream stuff:duran duran etc -they have graphics shown before the the vj get on or the ads run:the graphics show record stores-one of the graphics show a record store with alma matters poster on the wall(the tv station was first located in cologne than in berlin so the inner record stores were shot in one of the citys)-maybe someone knows the store?)

a book show was playing how soon is now

this im a bit embarressed to commit that:a comedy show called schillerstrasse which isnt really funny has the hatful of hollow record sleeve on their studio walls, next to bowie

more to come

Last edited:
went to see the brilliant comedian sean lock last night, when his support act, andy robinson started talking about support acts, he said something along the lines of....

"talking of support acts, i went to see morrissey last year and it was just me and 3 blokes standing there when the support came out and asked us "are you ready to rock" to which all 4 of us looked at each other and said "hell yeah"!

Nick Clegg on the campaign trail in some secondary school a couple of days ago. Row of kids sitting behind him, one girl with a Meat is Murder tee. Well played.

How Soon Is Now playing in Spar today, and I overheard the accompanying conversation:

Girl 1: I hate The Smiths with a f***ing passion.
Girl 2: Really? What about Morrissey?
Girl 1: Morrissey is the very reason I hate The Smiths.

Bastards. :angry:

Morrissey the Consumer Monkey Strikes Again!

Tucked away in the 'Money' section of Saturday's Guardian; the consumer champions Bachellor & Brignall helped a non-
Morrissey fan get a refund for the Liverpool gig that was stopped after the pint pot incident:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/17/seatwave-ticket-problem-morrissey-walk-off

Morrissey-is-struck-on-th-002.jpg

"these tickets were a birthday present for my daughter and son-in-law. I can't stand Morrissey!"

If I were the consumer champion for the Guardian, my response would be "Tough sh*t! Better luck with your Phil Collins' tickets".

Dave

Uruguayan State Electric services used "Hol on to your friends"' intro for a publicity campaign on TV for a long time. I'm sure they didn't pay a dime to M :lbf:

...I was doing some shopping in the local ASDA the other morning, when "Throwing my arms around Paris" came playing over the PA System....seeing I was wearing a Morrissey T-shirt at the time, I felt obliged to sing and dance along the aisles....a few other shoppers were quite amused....

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom