Strange/unexpected Moz references?

There is a wonderful documentary series on Discovery channel called My Shocking Story and each week it features someone who is having to live with a disfigurement or disease. Each time they play the trailer for it, the background music is the opening riff for "How Soon Is Now" . :guitar:.

Yesterday's Guardian Weekend section took a look at Morrissey's diary...http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/21/morrissey-diary
Morrissey-illustration-001.jpg

My manager rings. "I've got you a gig in Eastbourne tomorrow."

"Not interested," I say. "My back's killing me and I'm too old for all that standing up and singing lark."

"It'll be fine. It's at an old people's home and there'll be only 30 there. Or 29, if nice Mr Briggs doesn't make it through the next 24 hours."

"Sounds more like it. They won't be all pissed and rowdy, will they?"

"Nah – they're given their meds at 6.30pm, so they'll be good as gold."

"I still want a rider in the contract. Just in case. Anyone caught bringing Horlicks into the gig gets slung out. We don't want them spilling it or throwing it at me, do we? And it'd be nice to start early: I'm good for nothing next day if I'm up after 10pm."

The band arrives in Eastbourne in time for a bracing walk on the seafront and a cream tea on the pier, then we head for the Peace Haven Rest Home where I change into stretch cords and slippers before going on stage. "Hello-o-o-o, Eastbourne!"

"Could you speak a bit louder?" says Mrs Adamson in the front row. "My hearing aid isn't working well."

"I'd rather not," I reply. "I can't stand too much noise."

We kick off with a quiet version of Everyday Is Like Sunday that gets the place rocking and I'm about to start the second number when Mrs Adamson interrupts again: "Can we stop now, dear? We don't want to miss Corrie. Why don't you join us?"

"What a great idea," I say.

Today Eastbourne, tomorrow Torquay Crematorium. Blinding tour.​

:D
Dave

... and then I see Peter's post from yesterday...

Dave

There is a wonderful documentary series on Discovery channel called My Shocking Story and each week it features someone who is having to live with a disfigurement or disease. Each time they play the trailer for it, the background music is the opening riff for "How Soon Is Now" . :guitar:.

I saw an ad this morning for the most recent documentary, about some poor Indian chap with a massive head due to grossly overgrown bones, and HSIN was playing in the background. I hadn't heard it used in these promos, so it was very strange to encounter, to say the least.

My 4-year-old son said to me yesterday 'Mommy, I'm a girl and you're a boy.'

La la la la la la la la! Throw your homework onto the fire!

I've been watching pro wrestling WWE the other night and one of the guys doing colour commentary made several Morrissey references when Englishman William Regal was in the ring like "November spawned a monster - William Regal!" and "The man from the coastal town that they forgot to close down" - funny context for Morrissey quotations, if you ask me.. :thumb:

steveregal.jpg

In the winter addition of The Vegetarian Society magazine.

"Morrissey not well, this charming veggie man gets our best wishes."

Who is this skanky meth face?

Never heard of her. She's from Canada & was recently on Broadway in Hairspray. Couldn't find much on her either. That's not the best picture of her, I saw prettier ones while searching for the elusive influence of Moz or the Smiffs... (not found)

I heard "Paris" on the overhead at Save Mart (a local grocery store chain in very conservative Central California) a few weeks ago. My world stopped for a moment and I had no idea which way was up or who I was. What was Morrissey doing on in a grocery store???? When did he get popular among middle America?

A few weeks ago I was walking around Office shoe shop on Grafton st in Dublin, with my headphones on playing Moz, in the background I could hear Ganglord, when I took off headphones it was blasting out of their sound system. A bit surreal, as I was looking around at everyone in the shop, wondering why they weren't as excited as I was

I was watching an older episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent today. There was a character whose last name was Morrissey, so they kept referring to "Morrissey," saying things like, "Morrissey had something you wanted, so you had to go after it." It wasn't a direct reference, but I lol'd.

My dh listened to Vauxhall & I from The More You Ignore me to Speedway last night. :eek: Strange! :eek: Unexpected! :eek: Awesome! :D
I left the CD in the car on that song and he used it the other night. V&I is admittedly the only Morrissey he likes. Hey, I'll take it. :rolleyes:

At the end of last night's Buzzcocks, if you pressed the RED button there was a 5 minute piece with Phill Jupitus and Noel Fielding discussed "Aerosmith v The Smiths eating Aeros"

It really wasn't worth pressing the button for...

Dave

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom