"Studio In Session" featuring Morrissey on Sundance in Canada

I am in Canada and do not have sundance channel...I think I have every other channel but this channel. .....It's on channel 331 for people who have Rogers. It says I have to subscribe in order to record the program... lol

Last edited:
Well you've now proved your level of taste. "Driving your girlfriend home" is one of the best songs Morrissey has ever written.

It's the best song on Kill Uncle by far :cool:

I'm still a little unsure, but either way it was a fairly cruel decision by the editors to sandwich that segment between Morrissey talking about "people who have nothing to say", "It's just the same old patter and you're none the wiser for knowing somebody for 5 years" - as though the café awkwardness is all the other guy's fault for being such a bore.

That little clip reminded me why I haven't watched the documentary in so long. James O'Brien is an unbearably smug tosser.
yea it needs the contribution of both, not just one person sitting there expecting the other to do all the fantastic convo otherwise there dead boring and there still fantastic. but i think that morrissey was just trying to say thats the situation with everyone or most people, not neccissarily excluding himself.

Whilst I agree that Kill Uncle isn't Morrissey's finst hour (33 minutes), I think we often overlook the fact that it was the fruits of a collaboration very much in its infancy. Mark Nevin at least attempted not to replicate what had gone before and yes it is very light and it's probably at its worst towards the end where it becomes very dirgey and funereal. However, post Kill Uncle it is clear that had the partnership continued, its fair to say it would have prospered. If anything the album contains more lyrical misfires than musical ones. Give me a misfiring Moz circa Kill Uncle working with a proper songwriter and musicians than this bunch of plumbers mates playing the same guitar based sub standard fare. Check out the Morrissey/Nevin song list for evidence. Shame really because his voice is magnificent throughout the session. I respect people opinions when comparing these songs with earlier stuff, I just don't share them.
Martin C.

Having watched and listened to these songs a bunch of times, I still have the same feeling:

1. Morrissey's voice sounds great--very strong.

2. This "band" is not really a band--just a bunch of guys playing some tunes for Moz. I could not see this happening with Boz, Gary, Alain, and Spencer. Think back to when they were all interviewed on Hangin' with MTV. They all seemed generally happy.

3. These songs are not that good. "Looker" is pretty much a line or two filled with the "La La La La..." throughout. Come on--this is not good. For those who think Moz can do no wrong, how can you be serious with this.

4. I am not asking for the 1980s or 1990s again--just something more creative and musically inspired than this. How can people seriously think these are superior to his past releases?

Excellent post, Fan.

Very many of us feel as you do.

(Now expect the sycophants/apologists and boot-lickers to get all pissed off about this post. You know the kind: The ones who would shout "Bravo!" for a Morrissey bowl movement and then tell us how Moz is the best pooper of the modern age etc.).

Whilst I agree that Kill Uncle isn't Morrissey's finst hour (33 minutes), I think we often overlook the fact that it was the fruits of a collaboration very much in its infancy. Mark Nevin at least attempted not to replicate what had gone before and yes it is very light and it's probably at its worst towards the end where it becomes very dirgey and funereal. However, post Kill Uncle it is clear that had the partnership continued, its fair to say it would have prospered. If anything the album contains more lyrical misfires than musical ones. Give me a misfiring Moz circa Kill Uncle working with a proper songwriter and musicians than this bunch of plumbers mates playing the same guitar based sub standard fare. Check out the Morrissey/Nevin song list for evidence. Shame really because his voice is magnificent throughout the session. I respect people opinions when comparing these songs with earlier stuff, I just don't share them.
Martin C.

"Bunch of plumbers mates" Love it, thankyou

"Bunch of plumbers mates" Love it, thankyou

And don't forget "My Love Life", "Pregnant For The Last Time" and "You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side". The only dud song on "Kill Uncle" to me is "Found, Found, Found".

I've been away for a week or so, so only just seen these clips - huge thanks to Brandi Most for uploading them

Great to hear some production on the songs - even if it isn't the full works of studio production values.

What I love most is the studio banter; Visconti asking if they want to take 5 mins for a break, Moz asking the band if they want a break and then deciding, irrespective, that they will take one anyway. And Moz saying that he has never lowered himself to the "position of musician" at least not on tape.

I'd be happy for a full album of this sort of stuff

Dave

What I love most is the studio banter; Visconti asking if they want to take 5 mins for a break, Moz asking the band if they want a break and then deciding, irrespective, that they will take one anyway. And Moz saying that he has never lowered himself to the "position of musician" at least not on tape.

Dave

Maybes he'd have better luck these days getting signed for a stand-up comedy LP...

I've been away for a week or so, so only just seen these clips - huge thanks to Brandi Most for uploading them

Great to hear some production on the songs - even if it isn't the full works of studio production values.

Dave

Your very easily pleased are'nt you ! One of "those" who hang on to every word and tiny detail like "He had yellow nail varnish on/He had a pink polker dotted plaster on his index finger"

Action has grown on me a lot since last year but I don't really need a song about a 52 year old making out with someone.

@Skylarker

Just out of interest, what's the maximum age it's ok to make out?

Kid's A Looker? This song is headed straight for the Top 10!

Top 10 most ridiculous lyrics the supposed 'poet' Morrissey has ever allowed to escape from his increasingly splenetic poison pen. The career car-crash continues and one can only hope for a real one that renders him incapable of scrawling such drivel and then 'singing' it. Bieber's A Looker and Morrissey's a Bitter Fc-Uker.

For a man in advanced middle-age to be bitterly, incoherently and inelegantly complaining about 'the star maker machinery behind the popular song' would be troublesomely risible enough: but the depths of arrogance and self-delusion presented here appear to have no boundaries. It is Morrissey who is increasingly becoming the 'nonsense non-star'. A motorway pile-up preventing any further releases would be 'very sad' but would at least protect everyone's 'sunk investment' in his back catalogue being totally trashed by more drivel like this. Morrissey traded on his troubled relationship with his youthful reflection in the mirror: it does not become him to write such a banal tract as it could easily be interpreted as his own failure to realise what's happening to the fading picture in his own 'existential attic' whilst envying young folk their glowing beauty.....

Morrissey erroneously believes he can still eulogise his childhood infatuations with 'pop' as clever, knowing and worthwhile whilst he howls this illiterate disdain towards the baffled, indifferent kids of today. Kids like mine who want to know why fabled Grandad Morrissey isn't sensibly sticking to musing on mortality like that Leonard Cohen guy did at The Big Chill. In Morrissey's bizarre solipsism Tin Pan Alley was a refuge for the pre-cursors to his 'Intelligent Emo Pop': the only 'real pop', which Morrissey alone can reliably decipher for the 'crass consumer' herd and then direct their purchasing choices towards......him! Never mind your silly lists on Spotify and LastFM, Morrissey will fax you his obtuse, paranoid cultural choices and you will genuflect before his very own psuedo-'intellectual' crass-consumer 'pop cult'.

Unless, of course, you still have a functioning brain and instead decide to throw him an Emporor's New Clothes t-shirt to wear instead of his perfumed designer trash. He is as boring as any prog-rock OGWT presenter ever was in his vapid insistence that his cultural curations are vital and not 'silly' like the teenage girls loving ABBA and BCR. Or Bieber or One Direction.

The children and teenagers enjoying Bieber are merely 'crass consumers' for not worshipping at the altar of the 'real Pop Idol': Morrissey. No, they should go and spend £50 to squint at a 'star' too mean to even pay for side-screens at his recent National Concert For Cult Unity. What feet of clay this 'idol' has revealed in his late-career disintegration / self-destruct mode! The music is the usual leaden thump of exhausted male-pattern baldness Dad-rock.

The fact that Ella Henderson appeared on our UK X-Factor radar screen this weekend is deeply satisfying: Her debut composition and performance says so much more about life than Morrissey has managed for many, many years.

Scandinavia and AIMMN continue the i am/am not asexual/sexually active 'tease' which has now descended to the level of watching a late middle-aged stripper in the back room of a pub. Desperate and sad. Look, Moz, if you're snapping on a rubber now and then with anyone for pleasure or romance: good luck to you! But no one really cares about the dysfunctional has-been possibly gay/bi drunk uncle at the wedding/Xmas party anymore. It's getting kind of.......tired. AIMMN is actually a plausible addition to the canon with a lovely melody and a vocal not disfigured by 'haters gonna hate' bile. It would make a good 3rd single after another two IBEH/FOTGTD Clash-riff rip-offs. But those Clash riff rip-offs don't seem to have been written for any potential next episode...

Scandinavia may not be autobiographical, may be some '3rd person' attempt to comment on Strindberg, Bergman, Ibsen, IKEA, Death Metal or any other number of scandalous Scandi cultural signifiers, but who now cares? In the pre-WWW days, Morrissey's OCD curation of deleted and ignored cultural artefacts was fascinating, even if, for those of us in the know, it was a bit of a boring re-hash of the 'Bowie-Ferry LP sleeve in the 1972 school playground' trope. Now, he's just a blogger who can't actually blog and can't hack social media. And can't write lyrics to match his perfectly presentable and occasionally deeply moving singing voice.

PATSE is the usual anodyne misanthrope-lite with an obtuse interjection presumably attempting to say 'our Creator' should have prevented social-status obsessed primates like Morrissey coming into being and stopped evolution with cats as the pinnacle. Fair enough, but hardly an articulate denunciation of species-ism. And the Status QuOasis pub-rock riff is surely ironic? Probably not!

A decent producer and a friend would say "these demos are just not good enough", not be an enabler of meretricious mediocrity.

Morrissey's spiteful words about Bowie and Elton and everyone else come back to haunt him. What goes around comes around. He has become the joke in the pleather trousers who needs to either get his arse to songwriter boot camp or Get Off Of The Stage. Press erase on these demos except for AIMMN. Begin again with 'Arthounds' as a plausible storyboard/reference for inspiration. Rinse and repeat. And be profoundly grateful no one is prepared to release these mostly disgraceful demos which threaten to trash the credibility of an erratic but still hugely rewarding Solo-back catalogue.

I very much doubt these demos will create a 'buzz' on YouTube or anywhere else other than this site: a managed-care facility for cult casualties. Social Networking for Social Narcissists. If Morrissey was smart and savvy, he'd pay what it takes to purchase this domain name then archive this asylum. Take it on the chin, just like he could have taken the drummer/bass lawnmower contract debacles on the chin. Drop the catty arrogance as he really doesn't have the chops to back it up. S'funny how the trolls and flamers here all conspire to protect their 'sunk investment' in the Myth of Morrissey, furiously policing typos and grammar rather than face the fact that their 'hero/cult leader' is turning into possibly the biggest prat on the planet: as they are too if they follow him on this path to destruction. The meltdown continues:

'And finally, the voice of common sense issues forth once more from Morrissey, who increasingly seems less like the bloke out of the Smiths than rock music's answer to an internet troll: baz27 armed with a quiff and a microphone. This time he introduced the song Meat is Murder by claiming the Norwegian massacre was "nothing" compared to what happens in McDonald's every day. "Morrissey has decided not to comment any further," added a spokesman, "as he believes his statement speaks for itself," which it certainly does. Rumours he introduced How Soon Is Now with the words "LOL U all suck ballz but not as much as your mum did last night ROFL" remain unconfirmed. '

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst.../morrissey-likens-mcdonalds-norwegian-attacks

Now, back to Ella Henderson!

regards

guest contributor:

Stary-Scary-Bitch-Spice aka:
BrummieGurl
the new 'Secretary': keeper of secrets......

stary spice.jpg

ps: anonymous & typographic grammar trolls: #Fail!
pps: everyone's still on 'Ignore List'. Without exception. 4EVVA! lol!

Kid's A Looker? This song is headed straight for the Top 10!

Top 10 most ridiculous lyrics the supposed 'poet' Morrissey has ever allowed to escape from his increasingly splenetic poison pen. The career car-crash continues and one can only hope for a real one that renders him incapable of scrawling such drivel and then 'singing' it. Bieber's A Looker and Morrissey's a Bitter Fc-Uker.

For a man in advanced middle-age to be bitterly, incoherently and inelegantly complaining about 'the star maker machinery behind the popular song' would be troublesomely risible enough: but the depths of arrogance and self-delusion presented here appear to have no boundaries. It is Morrissey who is increasingly becoming the 'nonsense non-star'. A motorway pile-up preventing any further releases would be 'very sad' but would at least protect everyone's 'sunk investment' in his back catalogue being totally trashed by more drivel like this. Morrissey traded on his troubled relationship with his youthful reflection in the mirror: it does not become him to write such a banal tract as it could easily be interpreted as his own failure to realise what's happening to the fading picture in his own 'existential attic' whilst envying young folk their glowing beauty.....

Morrissey erroneously believes he can still eulogise his childhood infatuations with 'pop' as clever, knowing and worthwhile whilst he howls this illiterate disdain towards the baffled, indifferent kids of today. Kids like mine who want to know why fabled Grandad Morrissey isn't sensibly sticking to musing on mortality like that Leonard Cohen guy did at The Big Chill. In Morrissey's bizarre solipsism Tin Pan Alley was a refuge for the pre-cursors to his 'Intelligent Emo Pop': the only 'real pop', which Morrissey alone can reliably decipher for the 'crass consumer' herd and then direct their purchasing choices towards......him! Never mind your silly lists on Spotify and LastFM, Morrissey will fax you his obtuse, paranoid cultural choices and you will genuflect before his very own psuedo-'intellectual' crass-consumer 'pop cult'.

Unless, of course, you still have a functioning brain and instead decide to throw him an Emporor's New Clothes t-shirt to wear instead of his perfumed designer trash. He is as boring as any prog-rock OGWT presenter ever was in his vapid insistence that his cultural curations are vital and not 'silly' like the teenage girls loving ABBA and BCR. Or Bieber or One Direction.

The children and teenagers enjoying Bieber are merely 'crass consumers' for not worshipping at the altar of the 'real Pop Idol': Morrissey. No, they should go and spend £50 to squint at a 'star' too mean to even pay for side-screens at his recent National Concert For Cult Unity. What feet of clay this 'idol' has revealed in his late-career disintegration / self-destruct mode! The music is the usual leaden thump of exhausted male-pattern baldness Dad-rock.

The fact that Ella Henderson appeared on our UK X-Factor radar screen this weekend is deeply satisfying: Her debut composition and performance says so much more about life than Morrissey has managed for many, many years.

Scandinavia and AIMMN continue the i am/am not asexual/sexually active 'tease' which has now descended to the level of watching a late middle-aged stripper in the back room of a pub. Desperate and sad. Look, Moz, if you're snapping on a rubber now and then with anyone for pleasure or romance: good luck to you! But no one really cares about the dysfunctional has-been possibly gay/bi drunk uncle at the wedding/Xmas party anymore. It's getting kind of.......tired. AIMMN is actually a plausible addition to the canon with a lovely melody and a vocal not disfigured by 'haters gonna hate' bile. It would make a good 3rd single after another two IBEH/FOTGTD Clash-riff rip-offs. But those Clash riff rip-offs don't seem to have been written for any potential next episode...

Scandinavia may not be autobiographical, may be some '3rd person' attempt to comment on Strindberg, Bergman, Ibsen, IKEA, Death Metal or any other number of scandalous Scandi cultural signifiers, but who now cares? In the pre-WWW days, Morrissey's OCD curation of deleted and ignored cultural artefacts was fascinating, even if, for those of us in the know, it was a bit of a boring re-hash of the 'Bowie-Ferry LP sleeve in the 1972 school playground' trope. Now, he's just a blogger who can't actually blog and can't hack social media. And can't write lyrics to match his perfectly presentable and occasionally deeply moving singing voice.

PATSE is the usual anodyne misanthrope-lite with an obtuse interjection presumably attempting to say 'our Creator' should have prevented social-status obsessed primates like Morrissey coming into being and stopped evolution with cats as the pinnacle. Fair enough, but hardly an articulate denunciation of species-ism. And the Status QuOasis pub-rock riff is surely ironic? Probably not!

A decent producer and a friend would say "these demos are just not good enough", not be an enabler of meretricious mediocrity.

Morrissey's spiteful words about Bowie and Elton and everyone else come back to haunt him. What goes around comes around. He has become the joke in the pleather trousers who needs to either get his arse to songwriter boot camp or Get Off Of The Stage. Press erase on these demos except for AIMMN. Begin again with 'Arthounds' as a plausible storyboard/reference for inspiration. Rinse and repeat. And be profoundly grateful no one is prepared to release these mostly disgraceful demos which threaten to trash the credibility of an erratic but still hugely rewarding Solo-back catalogue.

I very much doubt these demos will create a 'buzz' on YouTube or anywhere else other than this site: a managed-care facility for cult casualties. Social Networking for Social Narcissists. If Morrissey was smart and savvy, he'd pay what it takes to purchase this domain name then archive this asylum. Take it on the chin, just like he could have taken the drummer/bass lawnmower contract debacles on the chin. Drop the catty arrogance as he really doesn't have the chops to back it up. S'funny how the trolls and flamers here all conspire to protect their 'sunk investment' in the Myth of Morrissey, furiously policing typos and grammar rather than face the fact that their 'hero/cult leader' is turning into possibly the biggest prat on the planet: as they are too if they follow him on this path to destruction. The meltdown continues:

'And finally, the voice of common sense issues forth once more from Morrissey, who increasingly seems less like the bloke out of the Smiths than rock music's answer to an internet troll: baz27 armed with a quiff and a microphone. This time he introduced the song Meat is Murder by claiming the Norwegian massacre was "nothing" compared to what happens in McDonald's every day. "Morrissey has decided not to comment any further," added a spokesman, "as he believes his statement speaks for itself," which it certainly does. Rumours he introduced How Soon Is Now with the words "LOL U all suck ballz but not as much as your mum did last night ROFL" remain unconfirmed. '

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst.../morrissey-likens-mcdonalds-norwegian-attacks

Now, back to Ella Henderson!

regards

guest contributor:

Stary-Scary-Bitch-Spice aka:
BrummieGurl
the new 'Secretary': keeper of secrets......

View attachment 14019

ps: anonymous & typographic grammar trolls: #Fail!
pps: everyone's still on 'Ignore List'. Without exception. 4EVVA! lol!

A peculiar waste of time and energy from a wannabe troll who purports not to care. A pointless contribution.

Plus ca change.

Brevity is the soul of wit; you had me at "Somali in trainers".

The rest? Inanity.

Thanks to the uploader, this has been a real treat.

It’s interesting to watch and see how different Morrissey is when singing for recording against singing for an audience. Minus the cord-flagellation and the grimaces and grunts for the audience’s benefit and focusing solely on the song. It’s also nice to see the reality of the recording situation – although I do realise that this is but a minor snippet. There’s something compelling about the darkened booths and the sweltering atmosphere.

I remember seeing some of the ‘ROTT’ sessions on the ‘Les Incorruptibles’ interview and being fascinated, also on the leaked Ennio Morriconne recording footage for “Dear God, Please Help Me” – it makes me long for a full, access all areas DVD of an album recording; I imagine it would be horrifying and enlightening in equal measure.

I think what’s already been said up-thread about him coming across as awkward in conversation in both this and in ‘The Importance Of Being Morrissey’ is true – to a certain extent. As has been pointed out he is on camera so is hardly going to be himself – though I do believe that the funny faces and stilted chat is a intrinsic part of his personality now. It might have been an affectation once but now it is inescapably real. On the flipside, when you see him urging the towel-boy to fan him faster and in ‘TIOBM’ when he playfully throws the towel over the camera you ARE undoubtedly glimpsing the real Morrissey- whoever he is. Remember, this is a man who has literally legions of enemies – most created by his own actions – and yet there is no real “dirt” – the loyalty he inspires is unprecedented. Clearly, awkward or not, he has a magnetic personality that people cannot help be drawn to…even as they are repulsed.

As for the songs? I’ve said it all before but it’s worth repeating. ‘TKAL’is musically diverse and as an idea is interesting; the “La La’s” are of course mocking, but they fail to work in the way the “Ha ha’s” did on “WHIWOFBS” so it really does come across as half a song. It’s a shame as it is a catchy tune.

‘Scandinavia’ is a beautiful, hateful dirge and is all the nice for the slower pace and gentler delivery. I’ve felt of late that he’s all too often just belting the songs out at full volume now whereas he should quiet down a bit and let his voice slip over and around the words, to caress them. I think “You Were Good In Your Time” is one of the strongest songs on “Years Of Refusal” apart from the minute-plus outro, which is indulgent and unnecessary. I would like to see more songs in this ilk in the future – also, just remembered the current tour cover of “To Give” – although this gets belted out it’s more of a crooner than a shouter. I’d love a studio version of this.

‘Action Is My Middle Name’ is a perfectly decent slice of pop, which blends his favourite topics of sex and death and adds his new love of scat singing in at the end. I liked this the best of all the new songs on first listen but I think that some of the others are better now. It’s not a bad song; I’m convinced it would be a single if a record deal ever materializes but it’s just not that memorable. I know some have compared it to “ITMAAP” structurally and sonically; I can’t see it myself but then I’m not in the least musical.

“People Are The Same Everywhere”. I flat out hated this when I sat up late to listen to the Janice Long show. I felt the lyrics, music and delivery were trite, overloaded and strained and when I read set lists and saw it make TV debuts I was sickened. But guess what? It has really, really grown on me and it’s clear from this that Morrissey flat out loves singing it. Look at how he swings his arms at the start of the recording; he’s ready to break into dance. This is also the best recording of it with a lot of musical detail, previously unnoticed (or hidden) coming to the fore. Again, a flat out guaranteed single in the future.

Visconti comes across as very nice guy too, which is amazing considering the length and breadth of his career. I’m not sure I could accomplish what he has and not turn into a walking ego but he’s managed it. Hopefully, if the deal comes around, then Visconti will once again produce the album.

Brevity is the soul of wit; you had me at "Somali in trainers".

The rest? Inanity.

brevity? :straightface: listen, hon!
u joined 4/2006
u've made 2312 posts since,
that's more than 1 a day....:straightface:

i'm sure they're all terribly brief, witty and incisive, not that i'd waste retina cells scanning them 2 C.:rolleyes:
howzabout you 'rest' for the next 6 years and then come back with one smart-arse one-liner?
i'm sure you can think of one by 2018..........

no wonder BrummieBoy has all u losers on 'Ignore'!:cool:

regards

Mel B........eeeeatch!

stary spice.jpg

Last edited:
A peculiar waste of time and energy from a wannabe troll who purports not to care. A pointless contribution.

Plus ca change.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

What a perfect 'on-topic' summation of Morrissey's ridiculous 'Studio In Session' demos!:guitar:

Try again. :rolleyes:

regards

scary spice selecta.jpg

Mel B....eeeatch!

Thanks to the uploader, this has been a real treat.

It’s interesting to watch and see how different Morrissey is when singing for recording against singing for an audience. Minus the cord-flagellation and the grimaces and grunts for the audience’s benefit and focusing solely on the song. It’s also nice to see the reality of the recording situation – although I do realise that this is but a minor snippet. There’s something compelling about the darkened booths and the sweltering atmosphere.

I remember seeing some of the ‘ROTT’ sessions on the ‘Les Incorruptibles’ interview and being fascinated, also on the leaked Ennio Morriconne recording footage for “Dear God, Please Help Me” – it makes me long for a full, access all areas DVD of an album recording; I imagine it would be horrifying and enlightening in equal measure.

I think what’s already been said up-thread about him coming across as awkward in conversation in both this and in ‘The Importance Of Being Morrissey’ is true – to a certain extent. As has been pointed out he is on camera so is hardly going to be himself – though I do believe that the funny faces and stilted chat is a intrinsic part of his personality now. It might have been an affectation once but now it is inescapably real. On the flipside, when you see him urging the towel-boy to fan him faster and in ‘TIOBM’ when he playfully throws the towel over the camera you ARE undoubtedly glimpsing the real Morrissey- whoever he is. Remember, this is a man who has literally legions of enemies – most created by his own actions – and yet there is no real “dirt” – the loyalty he inspires is unprecedented. Clearly, awkward or not, he has a magnetic personality that people cannot help be drawn to…even as they are repulsed.

As for the songs? I’ve said it all before but it’s worth repeating. ‘TKAL’is musically diverse and as an idea is interesting; the “La La’s” are of course mocking, but they fail to work in the way the “Ha ha’s” did on “WHIWOFBS” so it really does come across as half a song. It’s a shame as it is a catchy tune.

‘Scandinavia’ is a beautiful, hateful dirge and is all the nice for the slower pace and gentler delivery. I’ve felt of late that he’s all too often just belting the songs out at full volume now whereas he should quiet down a bit and let his voice slip over and around the words, to caress them. I think “You Were Good In Your Time” is one of the strongest songs on “Years Of Refusal” apart from the minute-plus outro, which is indulgent and unnecessary. I would like to see more songs in this ilk in the future – also, just remembered the current tour cover of “To Give” – although this gets belted out it’s more of a crooner than a shouter. I’d love a studio version of this.

‘Action Is My Middle Name’ is a perfectly decent slice of pop, which blends his favourite topics of sex and death and adds his new love of scat singing in at the end. I liked this the best of all the new songs on first listen but I think that some of the others are better now. It’s not a bad song; I’m convinced it would be a single if a record deal ever materializes but it’s just not that memorable. I know some have compared it to “ITMAAP” structurally and sonically; I can’t see it myself but then I’m not in the least musical.

“People Are The Same Everywhere”. I flat out hated this when I sat up late to listen to the Janice Long show. I felt the lyrics, music and delivery were trite, overloaded and strained and when I read set lists and saw it make TV debuts I was sickened. But guess what? It has really, really grown on me and it’s clear from this that Morrissey flat out loves singing it. Look at how he swings his arms at the start of the recording; he’s ready to break into dance. This is also the best recording of it with a lot of musical detail, previously unnoticed (or hidden) coming to the fore. Again, a flat out guaranteed single in the future.

Visconti comes across as very nice guy too, which is amazing considering the length and breadth of his career. I’m not sure I could accomplish what he has and not turn into a walking ego but he’s managed it. Hopefully, if the deal comes around, then Visconti will once again produce the album.

A Regal post GlasgowChivas :thumb:

New songs

If this has been covered off then I apologise but can anyone tell me who co-wrote the un-released songs that Morrissey has been doing live of late? Scandinavia, The kids a looker etc.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you. I'm not around as much these days but I'm still ill, I'm still obsessed and while I share the concerns of many on the boards regarding His views, His proclamations and His Politics, I can set all that aside and still enjoy the music.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom