tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

~whew~ thanks for the spoiler tag ;) My girls rented Hannah Montana, The Movie tonight. I'm not sure it's the same movie as yours. I won't watch either.

That's what I watched!!

I tell you, I felt like the biggest jackass of all time when I realized I was getting all teary eyed and choked up during certain parts...(I won't give it away ;))

To_wong_Foo.jpg

dirty_dancing.jpg

Last night me and my sister went to a friend's apartment for a Patrick Swayze viewing party, in honor of him. It was five women (including me) and one guy and we watched two movies starring the late Patrick Swayze. The first one we watched was To Wong Foo, a film starring him, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo, which was a comedy about three drag-queens travelling cross-country until they ended up stranded in the countryside. I thought the movie was funny since I happen to like films that involves drag-queens in it. After that, we watched the movie that most women love watching the most: Dirty Dancing. Haven't seen it since I was little! While we watched it, my sister's friend burned copies of the soundtrack for us and just about everybody (except me) quoted almost every line of the movie, except the only quote I know was the most memorable line "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." So far, it was the best girls night out I've ever had!

RIP, Patrick.

I watched Xanadu, on DVD. My eyes didn't burn out, in fact I thought the music was sort of alright in its own way. ONJ looked lovely, but isn't a fantastic roller skater.

cornelius, do you have marathon movie weekends? or do you just catch up with us every five movies? :)
the catching up bit, dearest x

rebecca.jpg

Rebecca (1940)
Director:
Alfred Hitchcock
Writers:
Daphne Du Maurier (novel)
Philip MacDonald (adaptation).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032976/
Tagline:
The shadow of this woman darkened their love.
Quotes: Maxim de Winter: I'm asking you to marry me, you little fool.

Marvellous film can’t think of anything to complain about! All these lovely performances in a single film with dialogue that would never be written for a film these days, I would like to memorise and find a use for some of the sentences Laurence Olivier utters as 'Maxim' de Winter ! Joan Fontaine looked stunning, (reminded me a bit of Ingrid Bergman). The second Mrs dr Winter (who is never given a first name), naïve nature cowers in the huge halls of Manderley, because of the previous Mrs de Winter’s lingering presents and the jealous housekeeper, Mrs Danvers. George Sanders is a right proper cad with Judith Anderson suitably sinister as Mrs. Danvers. Some people have called it a Gothic Horror, more like a Gothic Romance, if there is such a thing and more notably, it was Hitchcock’s first Hollywood film.

inglourious_basterds_2009_562x803_5.jpg

Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Director:
Quentin Tarantino
Writer:
Quentin Tarantino (written by)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/

Quotes: Lt. Aldo Raine: You see, we're in the business of killin' Nazis, and boy, business is boomin'.

I always seem to enter a Tarantino film with anticipation, i always feel, that i won't like it. I rarely do or haven't ever disliked any of his films. There is always something to really enjoy. Be it the story, dialogue, actors or the perfect plagiarism of films from the vaults of a VHS hoarder. He brings to mainstream cinema and mixes together so many genres and influences, it is one of main joys of watching his films.

It has a spaghetti western 'feel', and you see it should (or could of if made 30 odd years ago) of starred Lee Marvin instead of Brad Pitt (who does very well in his role as Lt. Aldo Raine), you see, Aldo Raine is straight out of the DIrty Dozen. It also (to me) has an air of Pier Paolo Pasolini in style, with Sam Peckinpah and his balletic, slow-motion action sequences.

While you have the masculine brutally of 'the bastards', towards any nazi they ambush, which are depicted with darkly, comic delight by the director; to kind of juxtapose this, you have the cold, threatening and lethal Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz, best part in the film), whose subtle interrogation of the farmer, is one of the most chilling scenes i've seen in a war film this side of Come and See or Schindler's List.

All very cleverly written and enjoyable to watch, but not a very good history lesson on the 2nd world war.

The_Magic_Christian.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064622/

The Magic Christian (1969)
Writing credits
Terry Southern (novel)

Terry Southern (writer) &
Joseph McGrath (writer)

Graham Chapman (additional material) &
John Cleese (additional material) &
Peter Sellers (additional material)

quotes: Sir Guy Grand KG, KC, CBE: [Lawrence Harvey performs a strip tease while playing Hamlet] This chap's taking licence in my view?

A rather long and rambling film that comments on the greed of people. But the message is slightly incoherent and self indulgent, in it's 'tail end' of the sixties wackiness! Peter Sellers uses his backlog of posh british accents but none of the film is outrageously funny. Lawrence Harvey campy striptease during his performance of Hamlet is one of the highlights and Christopher Lee 'ship's Vampire' is all quite odd. Also a cameos by Yul Brynner (in drag), singing Noel Coward's "Mad about the Boy". But great location shooting and costumes from the period, so that kept me interested. Ringo Star looks blemished by it all but i guess he got the producers interested at the time.

the-pumpkin-eater1.jpg

The Pumpkin Eater (1964)
Director:Jack Clayton
Writers:penelope Mortimer (novel)
Harold Pinter (screenplay)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058500/
Tagline: A Much Married Woman Who Drifts From Husband to Husband!
This film was hard work, as it is a very intense study of a crumpling middle class marriage. Anne Bancroft is lit and frame fantastically by the director and Yootha Joyce has a very aggressive and wonderfully acted scene at the hairdressers with Bancroft! Joyce was never like that in George and Mildred! All the characters in this production are very malicious, which makes the film a very difficult couple hours of ‘entertainment’.

Greetings_5.jpg

Greetings (1968)

Director:Brian De Palma

Writers:Charles Hirsch (written by) and
Brian De Palma (written by)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063036/

Quotes: Jon Rubin: You've heard of 'Pop Art' right? Well this is 'Peep Art'.

A strangely very amusing film by Brian De Palma and starring a very young Robert de Niro. A mixed bag of kooky late 60s drop outs and hippies construct ways of avoiding the draft of going to Vietnam, while meeting odd people in book stores, investigating the assassination of Kennedy and computer dating! While it has a poorly driven narrative and a annoying pseudo ‘The Byrds’ type band called the Children of Paradise, constantly playing the title song called ‘Greetings’. If you are interested in films from the 60s that are fairly typical of their time (meaning dated in an enjoyable way!) this could waste you 88 mins.
189Blacula.jpg

Blacula (1972)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068284/
Director:
William Crain
Writers:
Raymond Koenig (writer)
Joan Torres (writer)
Tagline: Blacula! - Dracula's Soul Brother!
Dracula: You shall pay, black prince. I shall place a curse of suffering on you that will doom you to a living hell. I curse you with my name. You shall be... Blacula!

Very Campy low budget Blaxploitation and it is also very good! I feel really sorry for Blacula or Mamuwalde (William Marshall). I mean, he and his wife have dinner with Dracula (Charles Macaulay), who also comes across as a bit racist, so they argue and then Mamuwalde ends up stuck in coffin for ex amount of years until he is brought back to ‘life’ by two mincing designers! All he wants do is to be with the woman he loves, which is his wife!

I finally got to see I AM LEG END,
although I cried when the dog died, twas shite... its an embarressment to the book and a completely DIFFERENT story.

if you liked this film, read the book, it'll blow your socks off. :thumb:

I saw two films last night...

Gamer - Gerard Butler stars in this noisy, in your face, assault on the senses mess of a film. It's the future and on-line gaming has been taken to the extreme, criminals are controlled by gamers in a survive or die death match, just like today's violent video games, but this time for real. I fell asleep toward the end, I don't know how as it was one of the loudest films I've witnessed in ages. Some nice touches here and there, but I can't recommend spending £6.50 on this. Avoid.

The Hurt Locker - an absorbing story of bomb disposal experts in Iraq. One of the most tense films in ages deals with a team of American soldiers who disarm IEDs in Baghdad. It features some superbly directed scenes of unbearable tension, coupled with strong performances from the entire cast. It was surprisingly a 15 rated film, some of the scenes must surely qualify it as an 18. Well worth seeing.

I saw "It Might Get Loud" last night.

itmightgetloud_poster.jpg

Wow. Great film! :guitar:

Jack White was as intriguing and uber-talented as always, Jimmy Page was incredibly COOL and inspirational and The Edge was...obsessed with pedals and knobs.

Page revealed he was a session musician when Shirley Bassey recorded GoldFinger in one take and then collapsed at the end. I was waiting to hear more of that story but The Edge cut him off.

Another great scene:

^I loved hearing all of them talk about (and play) some of their favorite records.

A MUST see for any music lover :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

I've just finished watching the film that makes you go
:straightface: "je devrais amener mon vélo à l'appartement avant d'aller travailler." :straightface:

So I've just discovered Zooey Channelthingy, is she always that bad at acting or is it only in "the Happening"? Shouldn't she get a job on a ferry instead?:squiffy: And why do her eyes look funny?:eek:

(I don't think that's the kind of reactions the director wanted to provoke...:rolleyes: .)(I mean, "the trees act better:mad:, my Gawd, but she's terrible!:sick:" and all that.)

I used to watch that on cable all the time. I see now that it is a Visconti film. Apparently, I never caught the credits. :o

It does meander on, Julie, but somehow draws one in. The visuals, of course, plus Bogarde's performance and Mahler's music and the glory that is Venice. Hell, it's a glorious wallow!

Time for my 6 hours sleep...:sleeping:

It does meander on, Julie, but somehow draws one in. The visuals, of course, plus Bogarde's performance and Mahler's music and the glory that is Venice. Hell, it's a glorious wallow!

Time for my 6 hours sleep...:sleeping:

This looks like a great read:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Tadzio-T...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254102646&sr=8-2

"The Real Tadzio: Thomas Mann's Death in Venice and the Boy Who Inspired It"
Imagine reading a book or seeing a movie and realizing wait....that's me!
*adds book to wish list*

EDIT: According to reviewers, Visconti's "Conversation Piece" represents an updating of the Mann story to post-World War II Italy, with Burt Lancaster in the Aschenbach/Visconti role and Helmut Berger as Tadzio/himself.
Interesting.....Haven't seen it, though.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This looks like a great read:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Tadzio-T...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254102646&sr=8-2

"The Real Tadzio: Thomas Mann's Death in Venice and the Boy Who Inspired It"
Imagine reading a book or seeing a movie and realizing wait....that's me!
*adds book to wish list*

I've read it. A fine little book and fascinating to read about what happened to "Tadzio".

EDIT: According to reviewers, Visconti's "Conversation Piece" represents an updating of the Mann story to post-World War II Italy, with Burt Lancaster in the Aschenbach/Visconti role and Helmut Berger as Tadzio/himself.
Interesting.....Haven't seen it, though.

I saw this decades ago, but never knew about those references. Interesting indeed.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I dug out 'True Romance' (1993) (Christian Slater/Patricia Arquette/Brad Pitt/Gary Oldman/Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken/Val Kilmer/Samue l Jackson) then noticed it's actually on Channel 5 (UK) tonight.
Great film mind.

It Might Get Loud - smart, thought-provoking, incredibly relevant to me right now.

Crank: High Voltage - none of the above.

Breathless by Jean Luc Godard.

This was Godard's first film which tells the story of a man who is hiding from the police because of killing an officer while the whole time trying to get a girl he loves to move to Rome with him. Jean-Paul Belmondo was very entertaining to watch and Jean Sedberg was also great and so pretty! Definitely recommended!

A_souffle.jpg

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom