tell us about the last Film you saw

The Wrestler. starring Mickey Rourke.

Firstly, I am Not Mickeys biggest fan, and I don't really like Wrestling. But the DVD was only cheap, so I thought what the heck.......

I was absolutely amazed at Mickey Rourkes performance in this....indeed, the entire cast are/were superb. The story itself slowly sucked me in, and I could not help feeling some sort of sorrow/empathy for Randy "the Ram" (Mickey), as his world started to unravel, despite the fact that his character is a grade #1 piece of crap....For those who have not seen it, I will not spoil the ending, But I was on the edge of my sofa willing him on, and cheering for him in the finale wrestling match-Come-Back shot at a title. I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem ( I bought it years ago, but only just decided to finally watch it....I am just sorry that it took me so long...) PLUS, as a Bonus ( to me, anyway...there was a Bruce Springsteen track used as"End credits" music, which fitted PERFECTLY.)..In fact, the whole soundtrack was well-suited to the movie ( Mostly late 80's USA metal "Hair rock) stuff.....I would give this cracker a score of 9.5 out of 10. The loss of half a point is because I SOOOO desperately wanted Mickey to kick the Holy Livin' shit out of his Awful, piss-taking CNUT of a "Boss" at the store where he had to work to pay rent, but, sadly, that never happened......

Last edited:
Percy_Jackson_%26_the_Olympians_The_Lightning_Thief_poster.jpg

uneven, really for kids I think, but I liked a lot of it, so:
B-
hopefully second one will be better...

The Wrestler. starring Mickey Rourke.

Firstly, I am Not Mickeys biggest fan, and I don't really like Wrestling. But the DVD was only cheap, so I thought what the heck.......

I was absolutely amazed at Mickey Rourkes performance in this....indeed, the entire cast are/were superb. The story itself slowly sucked me in, and I could not help feeling some sort of sorrow/empathy for Randy "the Ram" (Mickey), as his world started to unravel, despite the fact that his character is a grade #1 piece of crap....For those who have not seen it, I will not spoil the ending, But I was on the edge of my sofa willing him on, and cheering for him in the finale wrestling match-Come-Back shot at a title. I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem ( I bought it years ago, but only just decided to finally watch it....I am just sorry that it took me so long...) PLUS, as a Bonus ( to me, anyway...there was a Bruce Springsteen track used as"End credits" music, which fitted PERFECTLY.)..In fact, the whole soundtrack was well-suited to the movie ( Mostly late 80's USA metal "Hair rock) stuff.....I would give this cracker a score of 9.5 out of 10. The loss of half a point is because I SOOOO desperately wanted Mickey to kick the Holy Livin' shit out of his Awful, piss-taking CNUT of a "Boss" at the store where he had to work to pay rent, but, sadly, that never happened......

Agree! Brilliant movie. :thumb:

Amour (2012)

Amour-film-still-016.jpg

Watched this last night. And upon waking, I have decided I love it even more today. It is one of those films that stays with you and gets better over time--like a wonderful childhood memory.

The acting and directing are convincing without being emotionally manipulative. This is a timeless tale, yet, one that's relevant to our times.

I usually see films alone--as I did with this one. However, this is a movie that is best viewed with another--perhaps an intimate partner, followed by a lengthy and introspective discussion of the film over a nice bottle of wine in a quiet setting.

One of the best movies I have seen this year. 4 out of 4 stars.

Last edited:
Two documentaries:

The Imposter

390.fi.fi.rv.imposter.jpg

Very interesting documentary. Wanna see what typical psychopathology looks like? Watch this film.

&

sundance_westofmemphis-thumb-300xauto-28697.jpg

Also a great documentary. Best if viewed after seeing the other three documentaries that have preceded this one.

Last edited:
Dirty Dancing. Yes, THAT one with Patrick Swayze.

Finally, ater years of living with a child who begged me to watch this with her ( ...and then just re-winded/fast forwarded the effing VHS thing backwards and forwards to show me her favourite bits...without EVER once, just once, watching it with me from the actual beginning...), I managed to sit down, close the curtains, and give it a go.

I was actually quite impressed. the Dance scenes were well filmed and performed, and the storyline ( about how strangers help can make a difference to other people) made me go all "Blub Blubby".

I even enjoyed the mainly 60's music soundtrack much better than I thought I would ( ...Especially as it contains music/songs by the "Four seasons", who I have an almost pathological hatred/terror of, due to being force fed their screechy whingy shite during my childhood by an evil older brother...). As a sort of "Feel good-Lite" movie, I'd recommend this, and Swayze is just COOOL in it...( R.I.P. Mr. Swayze). I was not too sure about Jennifer Grey as "Baby" though, her acting was a bit wooden. However, I still enjoyed it ...In fact #....I....Had...the time of my Liiiiiife# :) 8/10.

Fish Tank (2009)

images

British indie, coming of age drama with newcomer Katie Jarvis and the always brilliant Michael Fassbender. Not for everyone. Teenage boys probably won't care for it. But I liked it. 3 out of 4 stars.

i-ve-loved-you-so-long-il-y-a-longtemps-que-je-t-aime-poster-0.jpg

Kristin Scott Thomas is extraordinary in this excellent film.

My brain is too tired to watch all of these movies, but I want to some day.

She's always extraordinary in all her roles. :) Not an easy film to watch but totally worth it.

But she has outdone herself in this film. The final scene of the film is brilliant. Such a release of suppressed energy, such a katharsis.

I loved The Hobbit Part 1 as much as I loved LOTR's trilogy.

I watched AI: Artificial Intelligence the other day and I love it. If you want to see a sad sci-fic film then I recommend.

RubySparks.jpg

Knowing me, Knowing Scotty:straightface:

This film might speak to you...Or to your dog...

By coincidence, almost everytime I watch a film these days, it has some Paul Dano in it... It's come to the point where I assume I must have dozed off in the middle, if I don't see him.:squiffy: Interesting actor. Character. Person. Whatever.

By coincidence, almost everytime I watch a film these days, it has some Paul Dano in it... It's come to the point where I assume I must have dozed off in the middle, if I don't see him.:squiffy: Interesting actor. Character. Person. Whatever.

:lbf:

He was Goood in There Will Be Blood!

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom