TTY: Sir Terry Wogan, RIP

Morrissey has expressed sadness at the death of British broadcaster and DJ Sir Terry Wogan:

Sir Terry Wogan, RIP - true-to-you.net
31 January 2016

Time is not as it was. I only met Terry Wogan once, and he approached me (which makes all the difference), and was as genuine and charming as the entire world, today, is saying that he was. So very witty, yet never hurtful ... razor-sharp yet respectful - and, incredibly, one of the few radio DJs with no qualms about playing the Smiths or Morrissey. I am thankful to him.

Morrissey
31 January 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godspeed means good luck on your journey. I think it basically means 'may your journey be short and safe'. It reminds me of the expression "May you be in heaven a full half-hour before the devil knows you're dead".

I think it was a nice phrase that Morrissey used, and would hint that Moz believes in some sort of life/existence after death.

being irish he probably does, they have a lot of tricjk the devil literature, and list of the lost being an homage to a spirit would sorta make a case as well. thanks for god speeds def

Why not stay away from the gigs too? I wouldn't fancy seeing you there...and Morrissey would have no career without Bowie? Do me a favour.
If you are sad about Bowie's death I'm sorry for you but why don't you take some time to grieve and perhaps reflect on what he means to you and why instead of angry rants on the internet over someone else's reaction to his death. Just a thought.. Don't go cursing me...c***ery etc...All this death talk is making me peckish, I may have some toast. Good luck with everything, the anger especially. xx

I can't take anonymous people seriously.

I've kept quiet for nearly 3 weeks about Moz not saying a word and I'd had enough. I was angry and won't apologise for being so. I'm mostly just sad, thanks for your concern. Without Bowie, there's no Moz - and if you really don't think so, you must be a fool. 90% of the comments on this article are the same as mine.

There are plenty of people who haven't commented. Not long after the Outside tour, Bowie did a birthday gig where he did duets with Black Francis, Robert Smith, Billy Corgan, Lou Reed and Dave Grohl. Of those I think only Billy Corgan has made any kind if statement, although I guess Lou has a convincing alibi.

That said, I agree it's a snub given Morrissey's celeb death fixation. But I also don't see why anyone would be surprised. They'd crossed each other off their Xmas card lists and Morrissey has never done magnanimous.

Absolutely true re Robert Smith, that has been surprising. But you're wrong about Frank:

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/new...ns-in-an-incredible-picture-shared-by-pixies/

Corgan:

https://twitter.com/SmashingPumpkin/status/686615687150710784/photo/1

Grohl I don't know, he's mourning Lemmy to be fair to him. Moz should have said SOMETHING. I know they had a difficult relationship but come on, he was important. He just looks like an arsehole saying nothing. A well written statement would have gone a long way.

- - - Updated - - -

A gentleman has just died, his name was terry wogan, not "terry f***ing wogan" you piece of shit, show some respect, you're appalling, for shame

I'm sorry he's dead but he meant nothing to me. I know you're not going to claim Wogan meant more to Moz than Bowie did - unless you're an idiot (which is possible given that you post here). Moz's lack of words has been noticed by everyone. He doesn't help himself. It's pathetic that he's said nothing. It's a new low for his vindictiveness.

- - - Updated - - -

ok now we at least know why no bowie statement:

1 bowie made charming but bitter remarks at moz. snide remarks probably about moz not having sex.
2 bowie was fake, not genuine.

oy vey.

prediction: no jakarta show.

Where's your proof of that? Never heard Bowie say a word about Moz in 20 years. Every single Bowie tribute has remarked on him being a good man, so where you get him being 'fake' from who on earth knows. If you think you have to defend the indefensible you're in for a very long life. A lot of people will never forget Moz saying nothing these past 3 weeks.

It seems that Morrissey attempted to bury the hatchet and Bowie turned his nose up at him.

I'm not really sure why the Bowie topic is even on the main page though, to be honest, considering Morrissey did not post on TTY about it and it is of course "other music" news.

A lot of people on here say a lot of things without any evidence supporting it. We don't know about whether he did attempt that but that is really not the point.

The point is, even if he had never met Bowie, nor been fired from the Outside tour, nor covered Drive In Saturday years later, Bowie was a formative musical and cultural influence on young Moz. He should be mourning THAT, never mind what their personal relationship ended up being like.

If Joyce had died, fair enough. No surprise. But this shocks even me. Everyone speaks but Moz. A man who can't shut up, really, ever.

A lot of people on here say a lot of things without any evidence supporting it. We don't know about whether he did attempt that but that is really not the point.

The point is, even if he had never met Bowie, nor been fired from the Outside tour, nor covered Drive In Saturday years later, Bowie was a formative musical and cultural influence on young Moz. He should be mourning THAT, never mind what their personal relationship ended up being like.

If Joyce had died, fair enough. No surprise. But this shocks even me. Everyone speaks but Moz. A man who can't shut up, really, ever.

well ive gotta say theres lots of music that influenced me when i was young that i grew out of and dont think about to much anymore. not that i dislike it now but it doesnt mean the same to me as it did when i was a kid. he probably came to like jobriath more so because he believed him to be what he sang in his songs. i could see a young moz being disappointed in bowie for not being exactly what he said he was in song which is something a young person from a certain generation will do. many people stopped listening to alice when he played golf, and darby stsrted the germs because he was disappointed in iggy for also bot being exactly what was presented and sold. he started a band that was (also a bowie fanatic along with pat smear who is a queen fanatic) exactly what it said it was. i used to listen to a lot of bad religion when i was young but if one died while i would be sad i dont think id feel a need to say something publicaly about it on socisal media somewhere. it can also cheapen his list if he starts writing what the public think he should or because bowie was popular or important to culture. so are the stones but i dont think he needs to feel something for them or show some kind of forced public statement

well I'm definitely not morrissey's mother but you are as crazy as a loon, I think you're jealous of the relationship between moz and his mum, if you ever travel to the uk then morrissey should get some protection for his mum, I think you could be dangerous

Yeah, I'm jealous. :rofl:

Hey, this is the internet, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There's a reason Morrissey was so attracted to Taste of Honey in the early days.

I don't know why this is automatically interpreted negatively by most people though, aside from the obvious "Morrissey haters" crew.

Maybe Morrissey just decided that anything he would say at this point would be pithy and respectfully remained silent.

I can't take anonymous people seriously.

I've kept quiet for nearly 3 weeks about Moz not saying a word and I'd had enough. I was angry and won't apologise for being so. I'm mostly just sad, thanks for your concern. Without Bowie, there's no Moz - and if you really don't think so, you must be a fool. 90% of the comments on this article are the same as mine.

The "Without this person there's no that person" arguments are ridiculous. If someone wants to be famous for whatever reason they will be. This notion that there's a torch handed down from genius to genius is insane.

I for one as a true blue Tory have to praise this website, a number of the VERY regular commentators are saving our dear NHS a fortune!!! Stay sane, oops, safe. X

Wogan bowie , bowie wogan what is the difference bogie woman now there is a difference....rip morrissey

I have no malice towards Mr. Wogan, who was a master in his own way of harmless light-entertainment fluff, but it is quite amusing that Morrissey in recent years has aligned himself with the likes of Sir Terry Wogan, Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Elton John, and Sir Tom Jones. I don't just mean because they have all been knighted, but as a long-time fan it's just so odd knowing that the Morrissey of the Smiths years would have railed against such characters as the very embodiment of mainstream naffness, and everything the band was kicking against and trying to topple. But, time changes everyone, I guess. But often recently I can barely recognise the Morrissey of today with the person who he used to be - the gulf is so extreme.

I have no malice towards Mr. Wogan, who was a master in his own way of harmless light-entertainment fluff, but it is quite amusing that Morrissey in recent years has aligned himself with the likes of Sir Terry Wogan, Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Elton John, and Sir Tom Jones. I don't just mean because they have all been knighted, but as a long-time fan it's just so odd knowing that the Morrissey of the Smiths years would have railed against such characters as the very embodiment of mainstream naffness, and everything the band was kicking against and trying to topple. But, time changes everyone, I guess. But often recently I can barely recognise the Morrissey of today with the person who he used to be - the gulf is so extreme.

Morrissey always liked Terry Wogan. Sometimes I think that people didn't really pay attention during the 80s, otherwise statements like the above are hardly explainable. I'm sorry to burst your bubble but here you go: Sir John Betjeman, Victoria Wood, Sir Noel Coward, Edith Sitwell, Shirley Bassey to name just a few. I also remember him confessing that he likes Doris Day during the 80s, not just now (as he obviously has changed so much).

i think morrissey has always liked cliff richard. some of his early solo songs have lines and titles that are very similar to early and early mid period cliff. really close H&R block

My tuppence worth:

Firstly, sympathy to Wogan's family for their loss; he came across as a genial, harmless kind of fellow. Not my cup of tea, to be honest, but still a pretty decent radio/TV presenter.

As regards Morrissey, He must've been deeply shocked when he heard the terrible news on January 10th, especially as he - like us -had no inkling whatsoever that Bowie had been seriously ill - let alone dying - for the past 18 months. I've no doubt that whatever feelings he had for David, this news probably shocked him tremendously. Like it shocked the world. My own guess is that he feels quite conflicted over his response; a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't. Personally, I've always felt that he deeply regretted the rift that occured, despite the childish remarks he sometimes aimed at Bowie. Hence the far more concilitory tones he adopted over the past few years when speaking of The Starman (and fairness, too, to Bowie for never slagging of Morrissey since The Outside debacle). I've no doubt he was/is deeply saddened by Bowie's passing. We lost an all time great. He knows that.

So why no response? Or even an acknowledgement? Pettiness? Spitefulness? Bitterness? Awkwardness? Egoism? The case could (and has been) argued for those reasons, but I'm giving Morrissey the benefit of the doubt here and say it's a bit more complex than that. He was a huge fan of Bowie as a teenager, they met later in life and forged a tentative, mutual appreciation of one another , which ended sadly with The Outside Tour. After that, it never recovered and Morrissey fell into a childish throwing-ones-dummy-out-the-pan syndrome which was exacerbated further when Bowie chose to remain silent on the matter. I think Morrissey probably regrets some of his remarks and this has been made even worse now, with the passing of Bowie. The reconciliation never happened and sadly now never will. So any tribute at this moment may appear forced and insincere - remember it's barely 3 weeks after Bowie's death. But I bet Morrissey has thought about him and feels both sadness and regret. So, yes, the tribute to Wogan may come across as a snub to Bowie - that's a legitimate charge, and has some foundation to it. But IMHO I just think he cannot - as yet - bring himself to speak about someone who was such a formative influence on him. The conflicting emotions he's feeling won't yet allow a rational, proper response.

In time, he will be asked about the death David Bowie and he will give his response. Till then, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As a final thought, I'd urge everyone to buy or listen to *Blackstar* . It's an astonishingly brave and beautiful album made by a seminal artist who knew he was dying. As Tony Visconti said it was his "parting gift." As for the *Lazarus* video - my goodness, what an heroic and fearless video it is - Bowie's final goodye, made whilst at death's door and in great physical pain, it shows the sheer bravery of the guy - making his own death an art-piece as he bid us goodbye. The final seconds, when he bows he head and stumbles slowly backwards in the wardrobe (his coffin) with a defiant look on his face - as if defying death itself - is one of the most moving things I've seen. Stunning. RIP Mr Bowie, you were one of a kind.

Re: TTY statement: RIP Terry Woga

My tuppence worth:

Firstly, sympathy to Wogan's family for their loss; he came across as a genial, harmless kind of fellow. Not my cup of tea, to be honest, but still a pretty decent radio/TV presenter.

As regards Morrissey, He must've been deeply shocked when he heard the terrible news on January 10th, especially as he - like us -had no inkling whatsoever that Bowie had been seriously ill - let alone dying - for the past 18 months. I've no doubt that whatever feelings he had for David, this news probably shocked him tremendously. Like it shocked the world. My own guess is that he feels quite conflicted over his response; a case of damned if I do, damned if I don't. Personally, I've always felt that he deeply regretted the rift that occured, despite the childish remarks he sometimes aimed at Bowie. Hence the far more concilitory tones he adopted over the past few years when speaking of The Starman (and fairness, too, to Bowie for never slagging of Morrissey since The Outside debacle). I've no doubt he was/is deeply saddened by Bowie's passing. We lost an all time great. He knows that.

So why no response? Or even an acknowledgement? Pettiness? Spitefulness? Bitterness? Awkwardness? Egoism? The case could (and has been) argued for those reasons, but I'm giving Morrissey the benefit of the doubt here and say it's a bit more complex than that. He was a huge fan of Bowie as a teenager, they met later in life and forged a tentative, mutual appreciation of one another , which ended sadly with The Outside Tour. After that, it never recovered and Morrissey fell into a childish throwing-ones-dummy-out-the-pan syndrome which was exacerbated further when Bowie chose to remain silent on the matter. I think Morrissey probably regrets some of his remarks and this has been made even worse now, with the passing of Bowie. The reconciliation never happened and sadly now never will. So any tribute at this moment may appear forced and insincere - remember it's barely 3 weeks after Bowie's death. But I bet Morrissey has thought about him and feels both sadness and regret. So, yes, the tribute to Wogan may come across as a snub to Bowie - that's a legitimate charge, and has some foundation to it. But IMHO I just think he cannot - as yet - bring himself to speak about someone who was such a formative influence on him. The conflicting emotions he's feeling won't yet allow a rational, proper response.

In time, he will be asked about the death David Bowie and he will give his response. Till then, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As a final thought, I'd urge everyone to buy or listen to *Blackstar* . It's an astonishingly brave and beautiful album made by a seminal artist who knew he was dying. As Tony Visconti said it was his "parting gift." As for the *Lazarus* video - my goodness, what an heroic and fearless video it is - Bowie's final goodye, made whilst at death's door and in great physical pain, it shows the sheer bravery of the guy - making his own death an art-piece as he bid us goodbye. The final seconds, when he bows he head and stumbles slowly backwards in the wardrobe (his coffin) with a defiant look on his face - as if defying death itself - is one of the most moving things I've seen. Stunning. RIP Mr Bowie, you were one of a kind.

You make some good points but let's just put Terry and David on the "influence weighing scales". David is coming in strong with a hefty reading whilst Sir Terry who Steve only met once is floating in the air.
Sadly it was Sir Terrys passing that was used to deliver one final low blow case of snot nosed junior high ribbing, it was just the luck of the draw, it could have been Rolf Harris, Gordon Ramsey, Simon Cowell etc.
So for me it was just Steve being a c__t as usual.
If you ever get time I'd love to here your tuppence worth on Joe Moss getting a silent death statement.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

well ive gotta say theres lots of music that influenced me when i was young that i grew out of and dont think about to much anymore. not that i dislike it now but it doesnt mean the same to me as it did when i was a kid. he probably came to like jobriath more so because he believed him to be what he sang in his songs. i could see a young moz being disappointed in bowie for not being exactly what he said he was in song which is something a young person from a certain generation will do. many people stopped listening to alice when he played golf, and darby stsrted the germs because he was disappointed in iggy for also bot being exactly what was presented and sold. he started a band that was (also a bowie fanatic along with pat smear who is a queen fanatic) exactly what it said it was. i used to listen to a lot of bad religion when i was young but if one died while i would be sad i dont think id feel a need to say something publicaly about it on socisal media somewhere. it can also cheapen his list if he starts writing what the public think he should or because bowie was popular or important to culture. so are the stones but i dont think he needs to feel something for them or show some kind of forced public statement

He likes Jobriath because Jobriath will never be as popular as he is. If there was suddenly a movie about Jobriath that somehow caused his records to start selling like Ed Sheehan Morrissey would forget he ever heard of him.

Soul pain can't be measured only by its externalization

Yeah your right. Couldn't be for the music he made or what he represents to M. :rolleyes:

...it's either you are right or you're right. No your right. Go back to grammar school. Can't stand people who can't spell.

Back
Top Bottom