What do you think of the 2009 setlist?

What do you think of the 2009 setlist?

• Total voters
I've been checking the setlists after each show and so far my overall feeling is that it's not my favourite set list ever. I voted "OK." I chalk it up to the fact that Moz sings the songs he enjoys singing, and I can't begrudge him that. He's not a jukebox and he doesn't owe me a set full of my favourites.

That said, I am particularly dismayed that "Crashing Bores" and "How Can Anybody. . ." have made it back into the set. And I could do without the choreographed shirt-ripping excuse that is "Let Me Kiss You."

--jeniphir

I've been checking the setlists after each show and so far my overall feeling is that it's not my favourite set list ever. I voted "OK." I chalk it up to the fact that Moz sings the songs he enjoys singing, and I can't begrudge him that. He's not a jukebox and he doesn't owe me a set full of my favourites.

That said, I am particularly dismayed that "Crashing Bores" and "How Can Anybody. . ." have made it back into the set. And I could do without the choreographed shirt-ripping excuse that is "Let Me Kiss You."
--jeniphir

Agree with you completey, Jenephir.
Crashing Bores and How Could Anybody are two of the very worst songs Moz has released in the last decade. Humourless, charmless, clumsy, horrible things.
It's baffling that Moz is playing so much Quarry material. Might be because he's so obsessed with sales and chart positions that he's actually convinced himself it's his best album (as it sold the most).
If the setlist doesn't improve, I'm not sure I'll even bother going, although I would love to hear him play I Keep Mine Hidden; few other songs make me feel so nostalgic.
One of the biggest disappointements is that he's not performing the best new songs i.e. Birthday, Carol and Shame is the Name. Apparently, he's played Birthday once and soundchecked Carol, so if they enter the setlist properly, I'll be a bit more enthusiastic...

Before tonight's show, I wanted to possibly look for Carnegie Tickets.

After tonight's show and its set list, I doubt it - highly.
It was nice that he played Goodbye..Farewell, but it's been played - last year, 2 years ago?

C'mon Moz. Start writing your own set list and stop picking up the list from the week before.

Well the setlist is a whole lot better than the "Ringleader of the Tormentors Tour" Remember when it started in 2006? The Setlist was almost all based on the entire album and only treated to 17 songs. So its alot better setlist this time around.

'Crashing Bores' and 'How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?' are certainly worth dropping but he won't obviously.

I would like to see the following dropped:

FOTGTD
Let Me Kiss You
How Can Anybody Possibly...
Crashing Bores

Hmm... see a pattern here?

IBEH is good enough to keep but I completely understand that people would like to see it go.

I could also do without HSIN but I can see how people who have never seen Moz would want to hear it.

To replace those 4 songs I would go with:

Speedway
When Last I Spoke to Carol (has been soundchecked)
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Shame is the Name

For HSIN I'd swap that out and swap in What She Said w/Rubber Ring outro.

I really want to hear some more B-sides in the set, old and new. I know that's probably not to everyone's taste, but I just love hearing kind-of 'different' Morrissey songs live...If that makes sense. :o
I'm praying that he'll add 'Children In Pieces' for the Irish dates.

While overall it's a pretty strong set, it would be nice if he could do some night-to-night variety as he has in the past.
Having a few songs rehearsed that he could switch in and out on the night would make each show a bit more unpredictable and exciting.
I attribute it to the new keyboard player not having the back catalogue down, so Moz probably feels like he has to stick to what he knows they can perform well as a band.
"playboys," "tomorrow," and "interesting drug" sounded so good in '07, even being able to switch them in here and there would add a lot of excitement to the set.
And as much as I've heard them live many times before, I'd take "Suedehead" or "EDILS" over "How Can Anybody" anyday.

This Charming Man/Billy Budd/Black Cloud/How Soon Is Now?/Let Me Kiss You/
Irish Blood, English Heart/That's How People Grow Up/I'm Throwing My Arms
Around Paris/Ask/How Can Anbody know How I Feel/The World Is Full of
Crashing Bores/The Loop/Death of a Disco Dancer/Seasick, Yet Still Docked/
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?/Best Friend on the Payroll/Sorry Doesn't Help/I Keep Mine Hidden/ Something is Squeezing My Skull/I'm OK By Myself/
First of the Gang To Die (Encore)...in that order, more or less.

its a short gig , aint worth 60 quid:D

While overall it's a pretty strong set, it would be nice if he could do some night-to-night variety as he has in the past.
Having a few songs rehearsed that he could switch in and out on the night would make each show a bit more unpredictable and exciting.
I attribute it to the new keyboard player not having the back catalogue down, so Moz probably feels like he has to stick to what he knows they can perform well as a band.
"playboys," "tomorrow," and "interesting drug" sounded so good in '07, even being able to switch them in here and there would add a lot of excitement to the set.
And as much as I've heard them live many times before, I'd take "Suedehead" or "EDILS" over "How Can Anybody" anyday.

Kris Pooley has played a ton of songs.

Here is the breakdown from PJLM for the 2 legs he played (bold = songs not played this tour):

All You Need Is Me
Ask
Billy Budd
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Everyday Is Like Sunday
First Of The Gang To Die
How Soon Is Now?
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Irish Blood, English Heart
Jack The Ripper
Life Is A Pigsty
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
Sister I'm A Poet
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Stretch Out And Wait

That's How People Grow Up
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
The Loop
The National Front Disco
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Tomorrow
Vicar In A Tutu
What She Said (with Rubber Ring outro)

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
You Have Killed Me
You Say You Don't Love Me

Add in that he has also played:

Best Friend On The Payroll
Black Cloud
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel
I Keep Mine Hidden
I'm OK By Myself
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Let Me Kiss You
Reader Meet Author
Seasick Yet Still Docked
Sorry Doesn't Help
This Charming Man

That's 43 songs plus Carol and Coma which were soundchecked.

I don't think Pooley is the problem.

For a professional musician, learning Morrissey songs, especially just back-up parts is fairly simple.

Morrissey is to blame.

Well the setlist is a whole lot better than the "Ringleader of the Tormentors Tour" Remember when it started in 2006? The Setlist was almost all based on the entire album and only treated to 17 songs. So its alot better setlist this time around.

I disagree. When the ROTT tour got to the U.S. there were the additions of: Ganglord, All You Need Is Me, and I do believe How Soon Is Now (could be wrong on the last bit, but there was a Smith's song at the gig I went to). I know it's all subjective, but I liked ROTT live. Far Off Places, You Have Killed Me, Dear God, Pigsty, In the Future, great stuff - what's more solid work. Best Friend on the Payroll and I Keep Mine Hidden? The Loop again? Is it really that essential a song from his back catalog? Everything he does upsets me lately.:tears:

I think that for the casual fan going to one show, the setlist is excellent. But for someone going multiple nights such as myself, hearing the same songs night after night in pretty much the exact same order can be quite tiresome.

BTW..Is the rumor really true that the band soundchecked Pregnant for the Last Time yesterday :eek:

BTW..Is the rumor really true that the band soundchecked Pregnant for the Last Time yesterday :eek:

Can't see him dusting off that one, though I'd welcome it. Anything from 1990-1995 would be great, especially Piccadilly Palare, My Love Life, Hold On To Your Friends, Sunny or Boxers... Or even November, seems like ages since he last played that one.

Fortunately it's still 2 months till he hits Europe, so there's still plenty of time for improvements...

Oh please say yes! Maybe I'm in the minority, but the Loop and PFTLT in the same set would make it the best night of my life!

Actually now that i think about it, I've heard Solomon practice the Pregs bassline at least twice during soundcheck..Not sure if he is just messing around or its because it will be brought into the set at some point.

I'm hoping for improvements by Wednesday :thumb:

Can't see him dusting off that one, though I'd welcome it. Anything from 1990-1995 would be great, especially Piccadilly Palare, My Love Life, Hold On To Your Friends, Sunny or Boxers... Or even November, seems like ages since he last played that one.

Fortunately it's still 2 months till he hits Europe, so there's still plenty of time for improvements...

Its pretty poor. Cant really have any qualms with the YOR songs as he's promoting the new album, fair enough.

Its his back catalogue selection with just defies belief at the moment, surely you're supposed to pick the best of the older songs.

WTF is he thinking playing The Loop, How can anybody... Hidden, Crashing bores, Payroll??

If these were replaced with Suedehead, I Know its Over, Hold on to your Friends, Hairdresser on fire etc I'd be a lot happier

Fair enough Seasick & Why dont you... are classics but they have no support

Tags
emma bores emma rules!
Back
Top Bottom