What was the year when you became a fan?

What year did you become a fan of The Smiths and/or Morrissey?

• 83 or earlier

Votes: 13 7.2%

Votes: 12 6.7%

Votes: 9 5.0%

Votes: 6 3.3%

Votes: 5 2.8%

• 89-90

Votes: 6 3.3%

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • 93-94

Votes: 11 6.1%

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 96-97

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 98-03

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • 04-05

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • 06 or later

Votes: 29 16.1%

• Total voters
I am pretty sure it was 2003. A colleague at work invited me over to his flat and started playing some records. At one point he said he was gonna put The Smiths on, great stuff but a bit melanchonic he said. It was The Queen is dead....the following day I was in HMV in London buying all the cd's.
That was it.
I owe this guy one.
Cheers Moz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1990. I think. Or maybe 1989. A mate introduced me to "Frankly Mr Shankley" and I've been hooked ever since. I was 14 at the time, so too young to have seen or know about The Smiths - too busy listening to T'Pau and 5-Star ;)

I bought November Spawned a Monster on the day of it's release and I've bought every release on the day of release ever since.

1990. I think. Or maybe 1989. A mate introduced me to "Frankly Mr Shankley" and I've been hooked ever since. I was 14 at the time, so too young to have seen or know about The Smiths - too busy listening to T'Pau and 5-Star ;)

I bought November Spawned a Monster on the day of it's release and I've bought every release on the day of release ever since.

T'Pau was really good. :D:cool:

I was 12, it was 1986.

Hatful of Hollow was the first album I had ever BOUGHT with my OWN money.

I felt like a real newcomer discovering the band as late as 86.

BUT in retrospect for a 12 year old I had astonishly good taste in music and art and iconography.

I often wonder what my coassmates at the time would own up yo what they listening to at the time?

Psuedo Echo? Bros?

Sure I don't think so, and whilst I can say with history on my side, that the band I loved so dearly I love even more today.

It is/was the ultimate vindication of outsider chic.

The Smiths and Morrissey were my life raft and they have remained the reason I aaty afloat (barely) today.

I doubt Pseudo Echo fans could claim the same. Funky Town indeed!

I, like many people , had some smiths cassettes (remember them!!??) back in my teens, but didn't really take much notice of anything Morrissey did til I got together with my bloke Spike - he took me to my 1st Morrissey gig at the Roundhouse last Jan, and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it! Live music is always great to see, but this was something special. Wouldn't say I'm an avid fan in the same way spike is, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Morrissey in Salisbury in May!!

I became a fan around the year 2000. I had known of him (and The Smiths) for a long time, but just wasn't very familiar with the music.

I found Bowie, Moz, The Cure and Suede all in 1992..and that was just the tip of the iceburg..

Actually..Bowie came first followed by Moz and Suede....the next 3 or 4 years discovering all these great new bands was sublime :)

Back
Top Bottom