What will the future be?

The future will be interesting after the current dates finish (dates which are being billed as a 40th celebration rather than a promote the new album normal tour) because he surely won't finance and record another new album if the previous two remain unreleased and he's finding it harder to sell out, surprisingly the modest Troxy took an age to fill in the capital city. Any thoughts

The future will be interesting after the current dates finish (dates which are being billed as a 40th celebration rather than a promote the new album normal tour) because he surely won't finance and record another new album if the previous two remain unreleased and he's finding it harder to sell out, surprisingly the modest Troxy took an age to fill in the capital city. Any thoughts
All good things come to an end.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get involved with a small label or more likely back one/buy one via others. Back in the day I’m sure he was talking about doing this to promote favoured acts (Attack was it?), and it would - sort of - allow him to get his music out without the self-publishing stigma.

Yeah, it’s looking bleak. The Morrissey stock is at an all time low. It’s hard to imagine him getting back on top again. He’s not doing anything at all to try and repair the situation. Not him and not anyone in his team. It’s never been this bad and there’s really no light to be seen at the end of tunnel.

Now I’m being bleak, but this is what the situation looks like to me.

If it holds together further than this current tour, I think the new lineup might try recording another album for the archives.
Touring will continue until Morrissey's voice/knees no longer function. Time catches up to everyone, but I think we should have a good decade left on that front.

Although we do seem to be on the final leg, it may be that we get an interesting 'ol Moz' period in 20 years. Morrissey doing sit down gigs, wheeled on stage by Sam, can no longer sing, but croaks like Leonard Cohen, doing some sombre old-age material in tiny jazz clubs. Could be an interesting way to finish.

I hope it doesn't happen, but one thing that artists at this stage of their career often turn to, is re-recording their back catalogue. It would be a cynical move, but Morrissey could re-record the Smiths 'Greatest Hits' (or even entire catalogue) as a solo artist, cutting the rest of the original band out of any performance royalties in the process. An easy cash grab, and I can imagine a major label thinking 'yeah, people will buy Morrissey singing 'There is a Light' again, and we can license it for these adverts etc.

He's just concluded one of the best series of shows I've ever seen, he's on top form with a brilliant band backing him up, that's all that matters to me. His unreleased albums will see the light of day at some point, in the meantime I have 17+ other albums to enjoy whenever I want.

If it holds together further than this current tour, I think the new lineup might try recording another album for the archives.
Touring will continue until Morrissey's voice/knees no longer function. Time catches up to everyone, but I think we should have a good decade left on that front.

Although we do seem to be on the final leg, it may be that we get an interesting 'ol Moz' period in 20 years. Morrissey doing sit down gigs, wheeled on stage by Sam, can no longer sing, but croaks like Leonard Cohen, doing some sombre old-age material in tiny jazz clubs. Could be an interesting way to finish.
I wonder how much it costs to record an album..studio costs, producer, musicians etc

I predicted (before COVID) that he would do less touring in favor of more residencies like he's done in Vegas and New York. So far that hasn't been the case and he seems to still enjoy touring. We'll see what he does after the Sep/Oct shows. It seems pointless (to me anyway) to do any more recording at this point. I'm guessing we'll see more shows since that's the main thing he has going now.

He's just concluded one of the best series of shows I've ever seen, he's on top form with a brilliant band backing him up, that's all that matters to me. His unreleased albums will see the light of day at some point, in the meantime I have 17+ other albums to enjoy whenever I want.
But don't you know? Things are bleak bleak bleak :rolleyes:

Well, he had done a show in London quite recently.

If he has more new songs, then he should record them. Even if just for posterity. I don't imagine it can be that expensive.

Yeah, it’s looking bleak. The Morrissey stock is at an all time low. It’s hard to imagine him getting back on top again. He’s not doing anything at all to try and repair the situation. Not him and not anyone in his team. It’s never been this bad and there’s really no light to be seen at the end of tunnel.

Now I’m being bleak, but this is what the situation looks like to me.

I don't agree. There have been many times in Morrissey's post Smiths career when there were no plans for any tours, no evidence of new songs and no obvious prospect of a record deal.
At the moment, we only have one of those three i.e. no immediate prospect of a record deal.
He's been touring loads in recent times and he's recorded a lot of new songs. Even Alain Whyte's shock departure was recovered from surprisingly swiftly.
The thing that's holding back the record deal is Morrissey's reluctance to accept his current commercial clout.
It's not too small for a record deal - plenty of other acts regularly put out albums that sell 5,000-10,000 (in the UK). But pre 2019, he would sell 30,000 to 100,000 pretty reliably and he's expecting a deal that an artist of his pre-2019 commercial stature would attract. Hence the impasse.

Last edited:
Nothing major will change. In 30 years Moz will still be touring, the only difference is Doug will be using his zimmer frame to help him climb over the barrier.

I don't agree. There have been many times in Morrissey's post Smiths career when there were no plans for any tours, no evidence of new songs and no obvious prospect of a record deal.
At the moment, we only have one of those three i.e. no immediate prospect of a record deal.
He's been touring loads in recent times and he's recorded a lot of new songs. Even Alain Whyte's shock departure was recovered from surprisingly swiftly.
The thing that's holding back the record deal is Morrissey's reluctance to accept his current commercial clout.
It's not too small for a record deal - plenty of other acts regularly put out albums that sell 5,000-10,000 (in the UK). But pre 2019, he would sell 30,000 to 100,000 pretty reliably and he's expecting a deal that an artist of his pre-2019 commercial stature would attract. Hence the impasse.
Come on. Morrissey is one of the most despised artists in pop music today and his career is in shambles. I hate that this is the case, but it is what it is. If he was revered and respected and if he treated himself and his career with respect, things would be very different.

Come on. Morrissey is one of the most despised artists in pop music today and his career is in shambles. I hate that this is the case, but it is what it is. If he was revered and respected and if he treated himself and his career with respect, things would be very different.
They'll change their tune when he's dead. Personally I couldn't give a f*** about his reputation, I care about the music.

They'll change their tune when he's dead. Personally I couldn't give a f*** about his reputation, I care about the music.
Sadly, though, his reputation stops us from enjoying his unreleased albums. At least that’s part of the problem.

Sadly, though, his reputation stops us from enjoying his unreleased albums. At least that’s part of the problem.

Instead of record labels letting the listener judge for themselves by buying the album or not, they refuse to give people that liberty, as if they know better what the public should and should not hear. This goes for online culture too, where there’s no space given for people to think for themselves, so instead they fall in line, out of fear that they too will have their name smeared for daring to have a different view. Sad times. Yeah, Morrissey will be Morrissey, who else should he be? But I don’t believe it’s fair to say that he’s the problem.

I don't think people really care what Morrissey has to say like the old days, his latest "controversial" songs get brought up in passing but I'm not aware of much fuss and bother outside Morrissey related circles either.

The usual articles from the usual people defending him and the usual articles from former/torn indecisive fans(still lol) but Morrissey himself just goes from venue to venue unbothered.

I think it's purely about business and money.

I'm still puzzled by this. During many live shows he commented that the album WILL be released soon, the record company then put out a single (presumably with a view to using it as a teaser for the forthcoming album) & then suddenly the plug was pulled inexplicably. If backing vocals/copyright were such a big problem then surely just that one track could have been replaced

Back
Top Bottom