Which Moz song is the most stereotypically British?

veradicere

They all are really...but for some reason Our Frank strikes me as the most British of them all (not counting the Smiths of course).

well, how would you define "stereotypically British" then?

Mostly just by British verbiage and such I guess., no one says "give us a drink!" in the U.S.

"We'll Let You Know" is very English in both subject matter and attitude.

"Piccadilly Palare" for obvious reasons.

"Maladjusted" because of the mention of specific geography (SW6, Fullham Rd).

"Come Back to Camden" because of similiar reasons to Maladjusted.

Which is the most English? I say, put the gloves on them and let them duke it out in the boxing ring.

Mozmic made some very good points... I always use the Kinks as the yardstick as they are the masters of summing up Englishnessness in 3 mins 30 secs, so using that as the guide I think Teenage Dad is the only song that suprasses the Kinks, Modest houses on estates, drug abuse, kids out of wedlock, go-getters, class system etc are all very much, sad to say, large factors in British life at the moment, regardless of hom much the media try tp pretend otherwise.

Reg

I'd say Everyday is like Sunday, can we sing I do like to be beside the seaside anymore, I think not..

Reggie Pepper said:
Mozmic made some very good points... I always use the Kinks as the yardstick as they are the masters of summing up Englishnessness in 3 mins 30 secs, so using that as the guide I think Teenage Dad is the only song that suprasses the Kinks, Modest houses on estates, drug abuse, kids out of wedlock, go-getters, class system etc are all very much, sad to say, large factors in British life at the moment, regardless of hom much the media try tp pretend otherwise.

Reg

Ooh, Teenage Dad is a good one, Reg.

Of course, when you mention Teenage Dad, The Slum Mums come to mind as well.

I'm not sure, what you mean by "stereotypically", but I'd say Hairdresser on Fire is very English to me. It just captures the atmosphere of London for me. Every time I hear it I think about black cab and Sloane square.

Also agree about Everyday is like Sunday.

Wait, what about Irish Blood, English Heart?
It's not one of my favourite though, probably because I can't relate in any way. But I presume British people do.

Last edited:
Mozmic, I was deliberating between Slum Mums and Teenage dad!!! You are correct because their is little to pick between the two, having witnessed people I care about having to go through the degrading procedure of the British Social Security System I can identify with the sentiments of said song, and sad to say it remains the case into the 21 CENTURY!

Reg

we'll let you know for me...

but my opinion doesn't counts much as I have never been to UK

Dagenham Dave!
or better still...
Everyday is Like Sunday - "The seaside town that they forgot to bomb"

That just somes up places like Morcombe and Margate to me.

As an American, the first song that came to mind was "Maladjusted". I have no idea what he's on about during much of that song. What in the hell is a Stevenage Overspill? Southwest 6? Fulham Road lights? What's the significance of those references? It's like when Eminem sings about someone who has "never seen a mile road south of ten" - it only makes sense if you are from the region being sung about.

The other one that comes to mind is Panic. What is the Grasmere and why do hopes rise there? And all those towns - Carlisle, Dundee, Humberside. I never would have heard of any of them without this song.

Piccadilly Palare is pretty baffling as well, but it's supposed to be.

Living in Cambridge I go through Stevenage a lot on the train and I always hear those words when we steam through it.

probably does have to be "Everyday Is Like Sunday". i live in edinburgh city centre (scotland) and work in portobello- the beach area of edinburgh that is one of those "seaside towns that they forgot to bomb". a place entirely made up of the elderly and families, run down arcades, swing parks, a little high street with an old town hall and a police station directly opposite, pubs and churches side by side (wrecking the bodies and snatching the money of working class folk). i'm still begging for the nuclear war (confined there).

Come on! Edinburgh is definitely not one of those seaside towns they forgot to bomb! It could be worse.:)

oh hell no. edinburgh is gorgeous and a great city. i was referring to that specific area portobello, its nothing like the rest of edinburgh. the city centre is a diverse, interesting and genuinely classy place to live :D love it!

Back
Top Bottom