Why It's Time To Ditch Your Morrissey-Loving Friend - The Quietus

'Love, peace and harmony...maybe in the next world'.

I never saw Moz as left wing or right wing, or any wing. He's a contrarian. He's a critic of mainstream orthodoxy. The liberal left is the mainstream orthodoxy currently - so Moz has positioned himself against it (with much wailing and gnashing of teeth).

Just as when Britain was caught up in the biggest dance craze ever to grip the country - Moz released a single about a woman in a wheelchair. Some people just don't get him. They never will. And that's fine.

'Love, peace and harmony...maybe in the next world'.

I never saw Moz as left wing or right wing, or any wing. He's a contrarian. He's a critic of mainstream orthodoxy. The liberal left is the mainstream orthodoxy currently - so Moz has positioned himself against it (with much wailing and gnashing of teeth).

Just as when Britain was caught up in the biggest dance craze ever to grip the country - Moz released a single about a woman in a wheelchair. Some people just don't get him. They never will. And that's fine.

It's pretty fair to judge him while he was in the Smiths as left-wing.

You Should NOT Be Friends with Moz Fans, says Article

Why It's Time To Ditch Your Morrissey-Loving Friend - The Quietus
David Stubbs, July 4th, 2019 08:28

New article out and totally full o' shit

It's worth remembering, this article is written by the same publication that asked that singer from Gene to talk smack about Moz .
You know the guy who tried to copy Moz to become famous and then stabbed him in the back when Moz was no longer as popular. The same guy who pretended he was bi sexual .

[personal information removed]

These people are gross.

That article is interchangeable with this last and will be identical to the next and the one after thaat. They all just re use the same BS. Lots of people who work for this rag are friends with or work for The Guardian .

Don't drink the cool aid .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's frankly bizarre seeing an article that is advising people to not be friends with me because of a songwriter I enjoy, and I find this kind of thinking to be insanely dangerous and damaging. It's incredibly scary and sad to me that this is the direction things seem to be going. I guess we'll all know who our true friends are based on how they react to things like this.

If I want to pray to my god, I'll pray whenever I want. I don't need religious dogma. I don't need people telling me how to be religious. It's disgusting how earthly beings turn a simple action as praying to your god into some kind of assault course. I don't want robes, I don't want to crop my hair, I don't want to look f***ing stupid. I want to pray to the god who made me. It's all a load of shit. Trying to take possession of the god that belongs to everyone. f*** your dress code and f*** your dogma. He doesn't belong to you. He belongs to all of us.
I'm reading a book called Waiting, by Marya Hornbacher, at the suggestion of @rifke , and it's all about free spirituality.

If you want to look for 'racism' everywhere you will find it. Rather like the girls in Arthur Miller's The Crucible seeing witches everywhere. We're all racist. Trust no one...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if these people could gain some perspective? Jimmy Page kept an underage sex slave in his cellar for over a year, do we throw over our friends who like Zeppelin, too?

Morrissey in 2019 is a loudmouthed bigot of the exact same variety that can be found in most families. He's old, past his prime, and unwell, and he's lashing out as his relevance declines. He hasn't hurt anyone. I shudder to think of a world in which we only engage with work from artists we agree with and personally like.

What a piece of junk.
But this is how the PC world works now and bullying is a way to force people to obey. I could never have any friends now and so when I visited one with a big family and friends and big network today it felt overwhelming and confirmed I could never live that way.

All my life I prepared myself for being isolated and lonely and I achieved it and so reading a thing like that makes me feel absolutely blessed. I believe the only mature and developed people out there are the ones having no friends or social interaction. That is a thing for when you are young but then we are meant to go in different directions in life.

Sadly those people who have what they call friends are belly button gazing people with a need to feel confirmed all the time and the group mentality is everything but it unables people to develop and move on and become their own true self.

You read an article by someone who was never in touch with the true authentic self. The greatest authors never read much and reading too much is like hanging with other people too much cause it turns the clean water that is you into muddy water and you lose your own voice and soul.

I knew Morrissey wasn't everything people were making him out to be right from day one. He wasn't the new Messiah. He had his intellectual limitations. He was vain and flawed. But he was talented. He's still talented, and that's all I want from a pop artist. People should judge him by that criteria alone. He has a talent. A quirk of nature has made him able to engage with certain people on an intimate level,as though they know him personally. It may be a trick of the light but it still works.

Morrissey is cute.

Ok, I've gotta get back to work making sure Clapton has bottles of water in the Claptoncade. Bye!

Morrissey was never clever or intellectual.

I like this new, thoughtful incarnation of yourself. I am interested to know why you believe that Morrissey was never clever.

To me he is the most clever lyricist that ever was or will be. It takes, at the very least, a keen intellect to bring thought and emotion together that can affect one in so many ways both intellectually and emotionally.

You have written about how you would sing his songs to your parents with a feeling of pure joy. I think you are selling him woefully short with this statement.

The funniest part of this article is that it implies that Morrissey fans have friends.
Why would a happy and well-socialized person be listening to Morrissey? The whole point of listening to Morrissey is to feel better about no one loving you or understanding your pain.

There’s whole lot of bullshit talk about sky-fairies in here. To those who “pray”...

Grow the f*** up and accept responsibility for your own actions. Near EVERY problem with humanity has it’s roots in people who look to fake-ass “spirits in the sky” for guidance and a path, rather than readily available, basic f***ing facts.

There’s no point in trying to have a rational discourse with someone who puts their faith in a pile of rubbish that was invented to subvert the questioning of power. It’s pure mind-control.

Quit being a victim and live your life.

My very last shred of respect for Morrissey went out the window not because he talks like an overtly obvious closeted racist. ...it was when he said he’s a f***ing “Christian”

LOSER.

what comes next? No jobs for Morrissey fans? Collective punishment, maybe... :crazy:
Morrissey fans are already a gaggle of ignorant, web-educated, unemployable twats. They’ve followed his lead so, in a word...

That's what upsets me about God. The people who need him most never seem to find him. He should be easy to find. He hides himself away. I don't want to go looking for him. I could understand if I found him and then was reckless enough to lose him. That would be my hard luck. But to not even make himself known in the first place. That's just playing hard to get.
He doesn’t hang out in the boozers

This man is a troll. If he always thought Morrissey was a trouble maker why not speak up before now? I have seen articles of his praising Morrissey. What a hypocrite!!! Bandwagon Bandwagon....get your 15 minutes of fame but Morrissey's music will live far beyond anything you ever write! Troll. He won't even answer back to Moz friends because he said they were unintelligent.

There’s whole lot of bullshit talk about sky-fairies in here. To those who “pray”...

Grow the f*** up and accept responsibility for your own actions. Near EVERY problem with humanity has it’s roots in people who look to fake-ass “spirits in the sky” for guidance and a path, rather than readily available, basic f***ing facts.

There’s no point in trying to have a rational discourse with someone who puts their faith in a pile of rubbish that was invented to subvert the questioning of power. It’s pure mind-control.

My very last shred of respect for Morrissey went out the window not because he talks like an overtly obvious closeted racist. ...it was when he said he’s a f***ing “Christian”

LOSER.

I would love to see the article and quote where Morrissey said he was a Christian. I have never seen that. Oh, yea is that the same article where he says he is gay and hates all black people?

Very often with his solo output, I've grudgingly bought it and given it a cursory listen, only to revisit it later to find new meaning once the hype has died down.

That is very interesting because I couldn't wait to get my hands on Viva Hate, and he had me all the way through ROTT. I was introduced to Morrissey through The Smiths, but it was always him for me.

His early solo work was more varied and his persona was so malleable from the Suedehead video look to the rockabilly years to November Spawned a Monster to The More You Ignore Me to Irish Blood English Heart all with the wonderful lyrical content and showmanship and pop rock sound that drew me to songs like This Charming Man in the first place.

He was a constant theme in my life and the soundtrack to many of my life's firsts and most memorable moments. In America, the word "hype" would never be recognized in relation to him or his music, but you might have had quite a different experience over there.

what comes next? No jobs for Morrissey fans? Collective punishment, maybe... :crazy:
Next comes the milkshaking of people who still listen to Morrissey's records. If that doesn't work, public flogging. Thought-crime must be eradicated!
:flamethrow:

LOSER.

1420564617164.jpg

"Sadly, he still has an ultra-loyal phalanx of fans, for whom the word "thickness" certainly does not apply to their skins, who insist that the "real bigots" are Morrissey's critics demonstrating their "narrow-mindedness". Like their idol, they view of all of this as random persecution, in which they take a simple, indignant pleasure."​

This is what seems to be playing out here. No one is really discussing the points made in the article.

"Dodwell states that his high regard for Anne Marie Waters stems primarily from her veganism and the anti-Islam stance as a properly liberal response to the cruelty of Halal slaughter. "Are we really so uncomfortable with being provoked into thinking? Are we against even having the debate? So much so that we would rather silence or harass alternative voices?" We have it in for Morrissey because he is challenging our complacent, left wing views, discomfiting us with his daring proposition that we should embrace the far right; we sheep on the anti-Morrissey bandwagon dare not cross intellectual swords with him because we know he would best us with his maverick wit.

But it's Morrissey himself who is wilfully, coyly selective about exposing himself to debate; he recently consented, for example, to be interviewed by his own nephew, opining that "everyone ultimately prefers their own race."​

And this is also true. Morrissey doesn't really seem to want debate or diversity of opinion. He wants to be able to make random statements without being challenged. What he says is often not very well thought out or is ambiguous so that Ketamine Sun can remind us that "we can't really know" what he is saying.
I think it's actually a pretty good article but of course they need a hook so they go for "drop your Morrissey loving friends." I don't see how that can offend you if you're not offended by "it's no worse than what happens at KFC every day" in response to a massacre of students.
And everyone who has agreed with anything the article says has been downvoted to the point their post is hidden. Where is the love for free speech?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom