YOR Chart Positions...?

Jukebox Jury

Retired
So what number is the album in the UK this week?
And is Paris still in the top 100 singles?:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Re: Chart Positions......?

The Album's down to number 12. Not sure about 'Paris'.

So what number is the album in the UK this week?
And is Paris still in the top 100 singles?:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Paris dropped to 55 last week and has now left the chart spending just two weeks in the chart (75).

If it's any consolation, U2 who've always had number ones from their lead-off singles since the 80's, didn't even make the top 10 (12 last week, 20 this), with 'Put the boots on', even though it got A-listed on Radio One FM.
The extent to which the older bands rely on physical sales for their singles is becoming clear...

I can't really believe any of you guys really think that Morrissey will ever have a high chart position again. I mean that not unkindly...but well every dog has its day.:rolleyes:

When I was a teenager in the 1980's to be number one in the singles or album charts you really had to shift a lot more records than nowadays and when you were number one you stayed there for longer than a week.(remember Bryan Adams?:o)

What artists other than U2 (whom I loathe) actually originating from the 1980's charts well nowadays?

I just hope that he personally isn't injured by this lack of chart success because I don't think it matters.The charts are full of crap which speaks volumes.

Morrissey's success nowadays is in touring.Which considering his age is no mean feat.

I can't really believe any of you guys really think that Morrissey will ever have a high chart position again. I mean that not unkindly...but well every dog has its day.:rolleyes:

When I was a teenager in the 1980's to be number one in the singles or album charts you really had to shift a lot more records than nowadays and when you were number one you stayed there for longer than a week.(remember Bryan Adams?:o)
What artists other than U2 (whom I loathe) actually originating from the 1980's charts well nowadays?
I just hope that he personally isn't injured by this lack of chart success because I don't think it matters.The charts are full of crap which speaks volumes.
Morrissey's success nowadays is in touring.Which considering his age is no mean feat.

Dude, where were you between 1997 and 2004? Notice the lack of Morrissey albums per chance? The reason for this was that his album sales nosedived with the releases of Southpaw and Maladjusted. Record companies were no longer prepared to offer him the deals he'd been used to.

Morrissey's album sales are nosediving once more. Here in the UK, Who Ate Me Curry sold 350,000, ROTT did 150,000 and it looks like YOR will struggle to sell half as many as ROTT.
You need to be able shift at least 100,000 'units' to attract a half decent record contract. Altho Morrissey could sign to a tiny label or distribute stuff on the internet he never would; partly because he's too proud. He'd rather sit around for years and wait for the (proverbial) tide to turn.

Of course, he can always tour without recording new material, as a nostalgia act with an ageing fanbase. He doesn't want that and I don't think any of us lot want it either.
Believe me, album sales are absolutely crucial.

The Album was number 15 in HMV on Friday :(

Still, Trafford Centre HMV loves Morrissey - Morrissey is a Trafford boy, after all. Born at Trafford General Hospital, lived in Old Trafford, mum now in Altrincham - in fact I doubt he's ever lived in Machester!

I took this pic in store on Friday,

Who Put the M in Manchester on loop on a DVD, Smiths CDs and some Morrissey CDs at 2 for £10 plus YoR on CD and Vinyl all on prominent display.

Shame that it was only me and my 3-year old getting excited about it :cool:

Dave

Still, Trafford Centre HMV loves Morrissey - Morrissey is a Trafford boy, after all. Born at Trafford General Hospital, lived in Old Trafford, mum now in Altrincham - in fact I doubt he's ever lived in Machester!

Who Put the M in Manchester on loop on a DVD, Smiths CDs and some Morrissey CDs at 2 for £10 plus YoR on CD and Vinyl all on prominent display.

Dave

YOR will be a fiver by the end of the month.

YOR will be a fiver by the end of the month.

Agreed. I can just see it now on the cheap shelf at Fopp in Covent Garden!
Still wouldn't buy it though, if I did I'd have to keep it seperate from all my other CDs in case it's blandness rubbed off onto my other records! :lbf:

Dave

shame indeed, id've been really excited to see that! *gets out 'tragic' hat*
good on that store though... :)

Dave

Nice one Dave
Looks like my books sold out then as non were on the display;)

Jukebox Jury

If it's any consolation, U2 who've always had number ones from their lead-off singles since the 80's, didn't even make the top 10 (12 last week, 20 this), with 'Put the boots on', even though it got A-listed on Radio One FM.
The extent to which the older bands rely on physical sales for their singles is becoming clear...

Yes, but the album still debuted at number 1 at 157,000 copies sold...

YoR is down from 12 to 31 with a little over 6,000 copies sold last week, which brings it up to 56,000 copies sold after 3 weeks.

he gets what he deserves. when he comes up with a great album every fan will buy 2 copies (multifomat)

Back
Top Bottom