YOR Chart Positions...?

Re: YOR in Charts

No! That's good news. It leaves Morrissey the freedom to live rather than be a top of the charts sensation known by all.

Hmmm, noticed YOR is number 1 this week on the AMG album search engine. . . up from number 2 last week. Has absolutely nothing to do with sales, or anything else for that matter, but he's still number 1 somewhere!

Re: Chart Positions......?

Yes, but the album still debuted at number 1 at 157,000 copies sold...

YoR is down from 12 to 31 with a little over 6,000 copies sold last week, which brings it up to 56,000 copies sold after 3 weeks.

They need to release another single ASAP. If your numbers are correct (and they always are), then things are dire. If Moz wants to sit at the grown up's table, he needs to do something to jump start this record. His contract with Decca is up, and he's back to being unsigned. If he wants any kind of leverage for another deal, he needs to move some records.

I'm not a betting person, but if I was, I suspect his next contract with have another "compilations" album provision, in which those of us in the U.S. will get another "My Early Burglary Years" type compilation. There are (and will continue to be with the remaining YOR b-sides) many b-sides unreleased in the U.S. Why not slap them on some polycarbonate discs and charge Morrissey fans $12 for the privilege?:crazy:

Yes, but the album still debuted at number 1 at 157,000 copies sold...

YoR is down from 12 to 31 with a little over 6,000 copies sold last week, which brings it up to 56,000 copies sold after 3 weeks.

Hmmm, noticed YOR is number 1 this week on the AMG album search engine. . . up from number 2 last week. Has absolutely nothing to do with sales, or anything else for that matter, but he's still number 1 somewhere!

I find the All Music Guide a useful tool, but I go bonkers whenever I compare their ratings of Morrissey album's to other artists. Eminem has several 5 star albums (their highest score), while Morrissey has never scored a five star album. I realize it's comparing apples and oranges but nothing Morrissey has ever done warrants a five star review? That's just to hard to accept.:tears:

They need to release another single ASAP. If your numbers are correct (and they always are), then things are dire. If Moz wants to sit at the grown up's table, he needs to do something to jump start this record. His contract with Decca is up, and he's back to being unsigned. If he wants any kind of leverage for another deal, he needs to move some records.

I agree with you on the single release but I think YOR is actually doing OK - we can't compare YOR sales with figures from past years because (with a few exceptions) sales are going down in general - artists just don't sell as much- look at U2:

U2's 'No Line on the Horizon': Sales don't live up to the hype

They pulled pretty much every conceivable marketing and publicity stunt to hawk their new CD, No Line on the Horizon. But U2's 12th studio disc, which was released March 3, still sold only 484,000 copies in its first week. These days, not many acts would consider that number a disappointment. Still, U2 aren't just any act: The Irish quartet's last disc, 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, shifted 840,000 units in week 1.

full article: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/sales-of-u2s-la.html

I understand what you are getting at, but 484,000 is a far cry from Morrissey's sub 100K sales level. YOR was largely reviewed at a 4/5 level, it should have sold better. They need to get a "Something is Squeezing My Skull" single out ASAP and keep on the PR offensive. It is sad Morrissey cannot secure a #1 ranking in February against weak competition. Team Morrissey needs to hope "Skull" will capture the publics' imagination the way "First of the Gang" did for YATQ.

I agree with you on the single release but I think YOR is actually doing OK - we can't compare YOR sales with figures from past years because (with a few exceptions) sales are going down in general - artists just don't sell as much- look at U2:

U2's 'No Line on the Horizon': Sales don't live up to the hype

They pulled pretty much every conceivable marketing and publicity stunt to hawk their new CD, No Line on the Horizon. But U2's 12th studio disc, which was released March 3, still sold only 484,000 copies in its first week. These days, not many acts would consider that number a disappointment. Still, U2 aren't just any act: The Irish quartet's last disc, 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, shifted 840,000 units in week 1.

full article: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/sales-of-u2s-la.html

Back
Top Bottom