Your favorite interview

Not-so-Mute Witness

Accidental Thead Killer
Hey all. I'm trying to construct a GINORMOUS (yes, that would be gigantic and enormous) Morrissey/Smiths fanpage and I need your help. I want to include some great interviews (video, audio, and text) on my links page and thought "who better to ask than fans?" So here I am! Any additional info you have about your favorite interview is also much appreciated-- like where it was conducted, what was going on at the time of the interviews, etc.

Thanks much ya'll! :D

my favorite interview was at SXSW because i got to see it in person!!!

sadly, i don't have any audio or video, but try looking on Youtube to see if anybody has anything.

My favorite interview was The Smiths with Dave McCullough for Sounds in 1983. Here's the interview. The piece makes The Smiths sound revolutionary, as if Morrissey and Marr were Marx and Engels rather than Lennon and McCartney. For me they were revolutionary.

I wish you luck in your site. Another Smiths/Morrissey fan site is always welcome, and I'm sure you'll bring a unique spin to the usual material. As far as gathering interviews, though, Arcane Old Wardrobe has pretty much retired the cup. You might want to check out the sites that already exist so you can put more of your time into being different than in providing content others have already corralled. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

hey thanks! :-D I'm hoping to have the site up by January. It's sort of a "free" time project and with finals coming up, I doubt I'll have time to work on it.

To be honest I think the Johnathan Ross interview in 2004 was great. He was so funny. It's always great to see Morrissey laughing :p

I have lots of video and audio interviews that I've downloaded. Besides youtube, you should look into the Download section of this forum. "Southbank Show" is, of course, the best documentary, and the best video interviews from The Smiths days are:
- the complete Earsay interview (45 minutes)
- the unreleased Morrissey interview for the "Strangeways" promo footage
Other interviews I like
- the short interview about "Meat is Murder" from "Old Grey Whistle Test"
- Morrissey interview on Music Box (1987)
- Morrissey and Marr interview for French TV (show "Les Enfants Du Rock")

Some interviews are not especially informative, but are very funny in their different ways: the Margi Clarke interview with Morrissey, and the Tony Wilson interview with all the band members (enjoyable because of Marr's and Morrissey's answers to Wilson's annoying questions :D ). It's also interesting to see Morrissey's taking the viewers on a tour of Manchester on Whistle Test.

I can't think of that many great interviews from the solo era, apart from
- Edith Bowman interview for 4Music Presents (april 2006) - contains the unforgettable moment when Morrissey made this immortal statement: "I've always written about hanky-panky" :D :p
- Dave Fanning 2002 interview
- Dave Fanning 2006 interview (DVD given away with the magazine "Les Inrockuptibles")
- the 2004 interview for CNN is short but interesting
- Jonathan Ross 2004 interview is not informative, but it's funny

There many several great audio interviews:
- GRL Radio interview - my favourite
- "The Conversationalist" disc - combines 2 different interviews
- "Interview Picture Disc" from The Smiths era - very long and informative.
- Morrissey on Janice Long show - 1984, 2002 and 2004

and there are others I have probably forgotten, I'd have to listen to all of them again.

As for the interviews in the press - there are too many of them! Check the list on http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com in the "In The Media" section. Besides the transcirpts on the Arcane Old Wardrobe site, there are scans of several interviews and articles on this site: http://www.alinkarel.plus.com/smiths/

I can't think of that many great interviews from the solo era, apart from
- Edith Bowman interview for 4Music Presents (april 2006) - contains the unforgettable moment when Morrissey made this immortal statement: "I've always written about hanky-panky" :D :p

Where can I get that video? It's not on You Tube :( Any of you have it and can upload it? Thank you :)

BBC My Top Ten 1984 in which Mox speaks about his musical influences.
There's also an american interview around the early 90's (can't remember which one now) in which the interviewer tried to pause as an intellectual and asked whether MOz likes contemporary litterature like Stefen King (huuuuuuuu....). Moz replied he does not read fiction at all but likes classics like George Elliot
-Do you know of him?
- Yes!
- Well... she's a woman.

What a Very witty and subtle way of challenging the audience.

I can't get enough of the interview in which he states that popular music will end with The Smiths. "Ultimaletey popular music will end, I mean that must be obvious to almost anybody. And i think the ashes are already about us, if we could but notice them"

How right he was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHieJuhRm9k

Morrissey on Janice Long show - 1984,

does anyone have this interview for download by any chance???

cossy

One of my favorites is definetly the Muriel Gray one, because it's the one where he most seems like a real person, kind of lets you see his emotional side more. And I love how he keeps laughing nervously, especially where he says that "you make me sound like a dirty old man" and finishes off with "I want to die" (but in a playful tone :) ).

One of my favorites is definetly the Muriel Gray one, because it's the one where he most seems like a real person, kind of lets you see his emotional side more. And I love how he keeps laughing nervously, especially where he says that "you make me sound like a dirty old man" and finishes off with "I want to die" (but in a playful tone :) ).
Great interview - and you gotta love the ending, especially when he puts his hands over his head. It's so lovely to see him looking shy and embarrassed. :D :)

Morrissey's two-part historic interview with NME (April 2004) ending their twelve year feud. It had a great exchange between Morrissey and the interviewer, who made the fatal mistake of asking one too many nosy questions:

Interviewer: "I feel like I've just been cursed..."
Morrissey: "All part and parcel in a Morrissey interview. No extra charge."

I LOVE that interview too for the very same reasons :) He gets very shy and nervous at the end and cracks himself up. I love how when he is asked 'what goes on in your house' he starts laughing and can barely spit out "Not much, there's generally only me in there.'

Very cute. :)

Aside from that, there are just way to many favourite interviews to mention. Interviews I've watched or read over and over.

I do love 'A day in the Life of Morrissey' which can be found in the menu bar on the left hand side of this site:

http://www.geocities.com/smithssupernova/

Very charming & funny & candid.

Last edited:
I've never read that before "A day in the life...."

Iv'e always had spots on my back though! (TELL ME ABOUT IT!)

I wonder what his normal day is like now he's slightly older.

Has anyone got the NME interview from Mayish 1991 with Stuart Macconie in Berlin ("I have friends in high places, Tower Hamlets for instance," I can never find it anywhere

Back
Top Bottom