a case for Morrissey's retirement

Jack Apuya

Moz shoud retire from singing and start directing films. He always wanted to famous on the celloid. What better time than now? Why not him? Think about it, the British has never had a great great film director. The Japanese have Akira Kurosawa, the Swedes have that Seventh seal guy, the Italians have Federico Fellini, the Chinese have Ang Lee (I would include John Woo too, but might be too polemic). And of the Americans, take your pick, Scorsese, Lucas, the guy who made Titanic, (of these people, Tarantino could be included, and again might be too polemic).
Why no Briton on the list? This is the nation that gave us the Bard!! There may in fact be a celestial qouta on storytelling greatness and the British have used it all up.
We know that Moz is a lyrical genius, if he is good there, he might be good in directing films also. I ask for a lateral move in Moz' career, but I will be more than accomodated if he at least takes a break to direct a film. Think of it as a wunderjahre.

Jack Apuya
Oahu, Hawaii

I've always imagined Morrissey doing spoken word performances, once he quits singing (which will not be anytime soon, I hope!!).
Most of his lyrics are the most beautiful poems, so why not speak the lyrics instead of singing them?
They will be even more powerful then!

well he did say he wanted to make celloid history....
In a very sarcastic song. He said he wanted to hang DJs as well. :p

As far as I know he has resisted offers for film roles, and has said on a few occasions that he doesn't understand people who because they are good in one area, think they can do everything else as well.

Moz shoud retire from singing and start directing films. He always wanted to famous on the celloid. What better time than now? Why not him? Think about it, the British has never had a great great film director. The Japanese have Akira Kurosawa, the Swedes have that Seventh seal guy, the Italians have Federico Fellini, the Chinese have Ang Lee (I would include John Woo too, but might be too polemic). And of the Americans, take your pick, Scorsese, Lucas, the guy who made Titanic, (of these people, Tarantino could be included, and again might be too polemic).
Why no Briton on the list? This is the nation that gave us the Bard!! There may in fact be a celestial qouta on storytelling greatness and the British have used it all up.
We know that Moz is a lyrical genius, if he is good there, he might be good in directing films also. I ask for a lateral move in Moz' career, but I will be more than accomodated if he at least takes a break to direct a film. Think of it as a wunderjahre.

Jack Apuya
Oahu, Hawaii

Utterly bizarre idea and it will never happen.He is selfdepricating,shy and only truly himself when singing.I simply do not believe he would be content bossing actors about.He is more likely to retire to Tuscany and live a simple life writing and collecting cats.:D

I like the idea of retiring to the country and writing. . .multiple cats might make him into a bit of a pepperpot, though . . .

So long as we don't see a fat-Elvis/Wayne Newton style residency in Las Vegas, I don't much mind what he does in later years. I imagine he will keep singing for a long time. . .maybe not touring, but definitely still making records.

Why is everyone in such a hurry for Morrissey to retire, anyway? He is still quite young!

--jeniphir

Moz shoud retire from singing and start directing films. He always wanted to famous on the celloid. What better time than now? Why not him? The Japanese have Akira Kurosawa, the Swedes have that Seventh seal guy, the Italians have Federico Fellini, the Chinese have Ang Lee (I would include John Woo too, but might be too polemic). And of the Americans, take your pick, Scorsese, Lucas, the guy who made Titanic, (of these people, Tarantino could be included, and again might be too polemic).

Jack Apuya
Oahu, Hawaii

Is that a Kumo I smell?

"Think about it, the British has never had a great great film director." [sic]

Sir David Lean, Mike Leigh, Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott, and Alfred Hitchcock spring to mind.

Is that a Kumo I smell?

"Think about it, the British has never had a great great film director." [sic]

Sir David Lean, Mike Leigh, Stanley Kubrick, Ridley Scott, and Alfred Hitchcock spring to mind.

Kubrick was American

Don't forget Carol Reed, Ken Russell, Nic Roeg, Derek Jerman and Peter Greenaway. ;)

Jack seems very naive to say Morrissey should become a film director.

It is surprising that there are so few GREAT british film directors compared to the number of GREAT british actors,though

Why is everyone in such a hurry for Morrissey to retire, anyway? He is still quite young!

I don't get this either...

I agree with the spoken word thing mentioned earlier too. I'd pay just to hear him talk for a half hour or so.

Don't forget Carol Reed, Ken Russell, Nic Roeg, Derek Jerman and Peter Greenaway. ;)

Jack seems very naive to say Morrissey should become a film director.

this is the best troll thread, i've seen in a long time!

& not forgetting Paul W.S. Anderson!!!!

In a very sarcastic song. He said he wanted to hang DJs as well. :p

As far as I know he has resisted offers for film roles, and has said on a few occasions that he doesn't understand people who because they are good in one area, think they can do everything else as well.

Yes i know that hence the sarcastic '...' at the end of my sentence

anyhow i have also read interviews where he said he has rejected the idea of film roles, due to lack of ability. I think he could write a good screenplay. What it would be about goodness only knows

I imagine he will keep singing for a long time. . .maybe not touring, but definitely still making records.

--jeniphir

I was thinking this too. I wouldn't consider 48 to be anywhere near retirement age. I think we have plenty of tours and new records to look foreward to.

Paul W.S. Anderson's films aren't good enough.
He is an average director who isn't worthy as the directors I mentioned earlier.

so you say film snob:p

(i was joking:rolleyes:)

Mick Jackson is British who, might I add, has a birthday coming up.

Back
Top Bottom