Joyce Michael's comments in today's NME about Morrissey's retirement

It's a chain. Moz only communicates with Marr. Marr communicates with Rourke too (at least for Manchester VS Cancer gig), and Rourke with Joyce.

Moz <----> Marr <----> Rourke <----> Joyce
The ends of the chain are not linked.

I'd rather see a full article on everything Joyce has done musically since the Smiths disbanded. I reckon it would take up maybe 4 lines, and then the gloryhunting bastard would rake Morrissey's name through the mud just for a few more column inches, increasingly aware no-one is interested in him alone.

Oh, that's what he's just done(!)

Then we get a few snide comments about Morrissey's current age/status. Joyce wouldn't be surprised if Moz retired as he's 'getting on a bit' and that Morrissey has struggled to sustain the brilliance of his early work.

And what, pray tell, has Joyce been doing for the last twenty years so we can get a fair comparison?

"'Wow' (Joyce) said"
haha

"A Morrissey spokesperson said" If one could have looked in at this conversation, I think the spokesperson one would have observed would have been a sock over the authors hand.

Mike, if Morrissey is getting on a bit, you're getting on a bit. Age is not an elastic thing; you and Moz are tethered and separated by exactly four years, and always will be.

But neither of you is getting on a bit, and I think you and the NME are both aware that Morrissey is not the muttering, senile, 98-year-old being currently being paraded before us with a sack over its head. Wtf.

Considering that Moz, just this week, stated that the NME completely misrepresented him, should you automatically jump on Mike J. for comments he ALLEGEDLY made?

EDIT: And another thing...just because Moz obviously dislikes Mike, why the hell do people here hate him so much? He was an integral part of the band, with a style as unique as Marr's guitar lines. There is no doubt that The Smiths would sound quite different with a more conventional man on the skins. He is very likely a very nice guy who you'd enjoy sharing a few beers with. So him and Morrissey had a falling out...SO THE F@CK WHAT?! He didn't do anything to me.

One of my favorite things Mike has ever done is "Interesting Drug."

OK...rant over...

Last edited:
I think people dislike him because whenever there is a news story about Morrissey in the press he pops up to stick the boot in. Of course, he does it in a very nice way so that everyone still thinks he's a jolly nice bloke.

Sorry, but in that Inside the Smiths DVD he came across as an insincere people pleaser. And a bore to boot. Andy was slightly better in that he only came across as a sad loser who was a bit slow.

Awful. The NME is just awful. I more or less agree that Morrissey's recent tour announcements are newsworthy, but allowing Joyce that cutting remark at the end was inexcusable. Even people who hate Morrissey and think him washed up couldn't possibly fail to notice that the NME is blowing the whistle on its own unprofessionalism with every new Morrissey story. What the hell is going on there?

I'm sorry Worm. I know they meant something to you. Morrissey has either snubbed them somehow, or they are just fickle pumped up little nothings that really should be restricted to covering Pete Doherty. There is no more loyalty than you would expect from a tabloid, which is pretty much what they have become it seems.

They called Mike Joyce because they knew exactly what he would say.

And what about them trying to act like their speculations from a month ago are news? "after the NME first questioned whether the singer was winding down to retirement..."

I'd rather see a full article on everything Joyce has done musically since the Smiths disbanded. I reckon it would take up maybe 4 lines, and then the gloryhunting bastard would rake Morrissey's name through the mud just for a few more column inches, increasingly aware no-one is interested in him alone.

Oh, that's what he's just done(!)

Fantasitic post. How dare Joyce slag off Mozzer when he's done sweet FA since 1987. The only reason Joyce has had any success in music, the only reason why he has had enough money to live comfortably and not get a 'proper' job and the only reason he gets a inch of space in music weekly's is because of Morrissey/Marr and he continues to slag them off and drag the Smiths legacy through the dirt.

Get out of public life joyce, sod off to Monaco and give us all a bloody break.

I think that's pushing it...

Howso? He has a unique approach to drumming and that approach is what gives so many tunes such an interesting sense of timing. Imagine what would happen if John Densemore was replaced by...John Bonham. How different would the Doors be?!

He is absolutely NOT your standard drummer.

If I'm pushing it, why do ya think so?

Mike single handedly has ruined any chance that The Smiths will ever reform.

I doubt that. They're free to "reform" without Mike and make a buttload, but they choose not to.

There was a space of a few years in between Marr leaving and the lawsuits beginning. From everything that's been said, he'd made no attempt to contact Morrissey. I think when the lawsuit came to fruition, all it did was bring home the reality of the situation to Morrissey, who I'm sure was toiling about in hopes that a reunion could occur.

When you don't actually see someone for a few years, you can imagine what you want to about them. Morrissey probably imagined that Marr secretly wanted to reform the band but was too ashamed to come crawling back. He probably finally got to see and talk to Marr after many years of Marr laying low and actually saw that Marr wasn't interested and had to justify it.

"Well, he'd do it if it wasn't for the lawsuit...."

Maybe. however, if Marr was harboring any wishes, I'm sure that the lawsuit itself reminded him of what insanity he escaped from, which was years of poor management that continues to bite them in the ass 20 years later.

I'll bet MIke Joyce is also responsible for the sales of a lot of drum machines.

Good post Currer.

I guess what I was trying to say is that Mike really kept bashing Moz on the lawsuit which lead to all the hatred that is now going on within the band.

I think if the lawsuit had not happened, even though the chances would probably be still slim that they'd reform for shows at some point, you can now kiss that possibility goodbye.

Its a real shame considering they all speak of this "lad-ism" within the group at one point.

Back
Top Bottom