Morrissey Central "A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE MUSIC IS OURS" (April 19, 2024)

c4409c14d2e0c1a75462b212cf1845a1d9b6d4d9.jpg

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

1B2BFCEC-20AA-4738-B5DC-F134BF1C8207.png

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 103525

Morrissey has paid the exit fee to Capitol Records in order to return both WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS and BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS albums back to him.
"It's been a long, hard, bloody war. Few would make it out alive, and … I'm no exception," he has commented.
Morrissey remains unsigned.

View attachment 103523
Have I missed something I thought Morrissey had just signed a record deal. Please enlighten me

Enlighten me
Well, Morrissey signed a record deal with Capitol records and due to a kerfuffle regarding backing vocals on a song on the album, Capitol no longer want to release same album and now he's bought.....

Are you a genuine Morrissey fan?.

Last edited:
Exactly. So what now?.
No "indie" label would have the clout to release the original recording without the consent of Columbia.
Maybe he will rerecord it with Dana Gillespie on backing vocals.
Good news I guess but the main problem remains.
He's expecting a deal that an artist whose albums sell 50,000-100,000 would be offered (as was the case for him for virtually his entire post Smiths output).
If there remains practically zero support from radio for his new songs (as has been the case since 2019), he will struggle to sell 10,000.
It's a bit of a coincidence this happening now after his involvement with DG's latest album. Maybe while he was sorting out her sleeves he suddenly realised he could be doing the same for his own material.
Maybe her record label is an option - everyone keeps saying his sales numbers no longer warrant larger company interest.
Things seem to be looking up now. Feels a bit like that initial thrill when that short IAV Vegas ad went out, followed by excellent shows.
Lets hope this time things stay on track.

It's a bit of a coincidence this happening now after his involvement with DG's latest album. Maybe while he was sorting out her sleeves he suddenly realised he could be doing the same for his own material.
Maybe her record label is an option - everyone keeps saying his sales numbers no longer warrant larger company interest.
Things seem to be looking up now. Feels a bit like that initial thrill when that short IAV Vegas ad went out, followed by excellent shows.
Lets hope this time things stay on track.
The Smiths and Morrissey have had virtually no support from any radio stations since the wonderful John Peel.

The Smiths and Morrissey have had virtually no support from any radio stations since the wonderful John Peel.
That's certainly how it feels now - definitely with M. But I was surprised to hear a Smiths tune just the other day here on Radio 2. This Charming Man (I think). Think it was Jeremy Vine.

Old Moneysey must not be able to believe his luck. His devoted sycophants are absolutely unkillable. There are no pension worries for our Steven, that's for sure.

In regards to an artist keeping their sanity? it must be working for him. Again, here, the artist can’t really care too much what the fan thinks.

Well, I’m speaking from that point of view. I believe it is a choice, and a natural desire to explore and evolve, even if the fan doesn’t see it that way. Look at Walker, Reed, Bowie, etc.
Agree.

Yes, but Scott Walker or David Bowie didn’t write songs like Kerouac’s Crack or Notre Dame. It’s songs like these (and many others) that makes me think that he’s lost it rather than it being a case of artistic change.

I mean, seriously, who cares? World Peace has been available for years and is easy to download off YouTube (I'm not encouraging anyone to do this because it is illegal) and I fear that the flames of Bonfire have already been extinguished.
I have written on here in the past that I am still interested enough to drop in occasionally to see what the Moz fella is up to or what he's been saying but I am completely over the music. Maybe it's my age but I feel that my adoration of Morrissey over the last few decades was misplaced. I now find a lot of the material to be insipid and boring and sometimes downright naff. Case in point:
Staircase At The University.
What the hell is the point of such a dreadfully titled song? The lyrics are absolutely, bowel-emptyingly trite;
"If you don't get three A's, her sweet daddy said, you're shame is sure to stain the family name."
Seriously, what is the song about? Exactly who is such a song aimed at? What is clever or incisive or informed about such utter, utter drivel? I know his contributions to the realm of great music are set in stone for all to see but maybe it's time for us all to knock it on the head and move forward with our lives.
I cannot see for the the life of me why people on this website profess such excited anticipation over such achingly dull news.
Yes, it's cobblers. Which is a shame as the melody had potential to make a lovely song.
The bit I struggled at was that (in the UK), historically 3x A grades was generally the highest a typical A-level candidate could achieve so was often an entry requirement for 'top' universities.
So, if the subject character didn't achieve those grades they wouldn't be at the 'university' in the first place so wouldn't be able to throw themselves down the stairs.
Maybe we should allow for poetic licence as 'Staircase at the sixth form technical college' doesn't scan so well, but the inaccurate narrative kills the song. Maybe the singer was trying to empathetic, but it it falls down on research.
C+. Could do better.

I mean, seriously, who cares? World Peace has been available for years and is easy to download off YouTube (I'm not encouraging anyone to do this because it is illegal) and I fear that the flames of Bonfire have already been extinguished.
I have written on here in the past that I am still interested enough to drop in occasionally to see what the Moz fella is up to or what he's been saying but I am completely over the music. Maybe it's my age but I feel that my adoration of Morrissey over the last few decades was misplaced. I now find a lot of the material to be insipid and boring and sometimes downright naff. Case in point:
Staircase At The University.
What the hell is the point of such a dreadfully titled song? The lyrics are absolutely, bowel-emptyingly trite;
"If you don't get three A's, her sweet daddy said, you're shame is sure to stain the family name."
Seriously, what is the song about? Exactly who is such a song aimed at? What is clever or incisive or informed about such utter, utter drivel? I know his contributions to the realm of great music are set in stone for all to see but maybe it's time for us all to knock it on the head and move forward with our lives.
I cannot see for the the life of me why people on this website profess such excited anticipation over such achingly dull news.

The last few albums have been the work of a quite good modern pop group with a dull old singer/lyricist who ought to be replaced by someone younger, as he's the one holding them back. That was also the case with Kill Uncle.

I like The Smiths and the very early solo stuff (when he was starting over again) 1988-90, but the proportion of clunkers start increasing after then. Maladjusted is fine if you have the 1997 UK release which omits the worst thing he ever did. Things went completely off the rails around 2005 when he decided he was actually a grand old European crooner rather than a post-punk act being as poppy as he can manage on low technical ability. He just isn't up to it, either as a singer or a writer, although there are odd good moments in the past decade. He is definitely a creative person who doesn't know what his best and worst moments are.

But the main problem is simply that he got old and became an angry cynical old person, rather than the naively energetic and angry young person. I'd rather have the grandiosity and bravado of the 1984 interviews (even though there's lots of cringy moments) than some pensioner droning about UKIP talking points he's read on Facebook or in a Douglas Murray volume. At least Mark E.Smith aged better because he got the weary old man stuff into his act as early as possible, so he was always an old grote and we just had to watch his face decline appropriately over the decades.

I'm saddened by the current news as I preferred the idea that Morrissey's career had quietly ended and he would announce retirement on his 65th birthday next month, with the unreleased final albums turning up in a special boxset many years later when no one will want to argue about them anymore.

Agree.

Yes, but Scott Walker or David Bowie didn’t write songs like Kerouac’s Crack or Notre Dame. It’s songs like these (and many others) that makes me think that he’s lost it rather than it being a case of artistic change.
Not sure what you mean. Notre Dame is a catchy, funky pop tune that beats anything on Never Let Me Down, which is undoubtedly Bowie's worst album. I would love to hear Notre Dame on the radio - although it would probably cause some cars to veer off the road and crash. May have to be played with a 'listening discretion is advised' notice.
As for 'conspiracy' theories - some of Bowie's cocaine-fuelled theories about the Nazis, black magic, the Kabbalah, Aleister Crowley, Nietzsche, and the superman, make Notre Dame seem positively tame.

Back
Top Bottom