Alain Fight?

Ethan Poe

I just heard about this on the main page. Is there actual evidence of this Moz/Whyte fight, or is it just hearsay?

51s1j.jpg

It got pretty violent! Just look at poor Mozzer's lil thumby! Brutality!

Last edited:
well ,what does hmv say now,january release date? i wonder if that is the case,that is a ways off,that could mean many different things.
though if i look at the glass half full ,that is my birthday month.:D

Re: Hmmmmm

It's a hearsay nothing has been proved, you don't have to take it seriously.

Oh ok, thanks. Thats how things start though, you know? From meeting Alain a few years back during his "Red Lightning" days, he didn't mention it(not that he would), when several folks asked him about why he left? I think he cited a medical condition or something, not sure.

All speculation of course, but if Alain was in fact not allowed to play his own songs on the new album I could see that as a relationship ender.

By all accounts Alain is a super nice guy that rarely, if ever, lets his ego get in the way of his music.

After years of being at Morrissey's left and writing loads of great songs, when I saw him sat behind the drum kit and smiling while new boy Jesse took the lead guitar position in the video for In the Future I thought "This guy is the most unsung, good-natured collaborator Moz has ever had!" I don't know him from Adam, but he's always struck me as having fun but also being really serious about his music.

I've taken all of Morrissey's career moves in stride, Jesse included, but cutting all ties with Alain -- mistake.

Hoping it's all groundless rumours.

I echo these thoughts. Good Post

All speculation of course, but if Alain was in fact not allowed to play his own songs on the new album I could see that as a relationship ender.

By all accounts Alain is a super nice guy that rarely, if ever, lets his ego get in the way of his music.

After years of being at Morrissey's left and writing loads of great songs, when I saw him sat behind the drum kit and smiling while new boy Jesse took the lead guitar position in the video for In the Future I thought "This guy is the most unsung, good-natured collaborator Moz has ever had!" I don't know him from Adam, but he's always struck me as having fun but also being really serious about his music.

I've taken all of Morrissey's career moves in stride, Jesse included, but cutting all ties with Alain -- mistake.

Hoping it's all groundless rumours.

Except that there's no evidence at all that Alain has not been allowed to contribute to the recordings of his own songs. In fact all the evidence points to the complete opposite. The sudden choice of Jerry Finn as producer who had been working with Alain previously, the choice of LA where Alain lives as the place to record.

I just think some people try to see problems where there are none.

I think the bottom line is that after a lot of debate on here, Alain is the songwriting talent in the band and Moz needs him more than Alain needs Moz. After a few false starts Jesse hasn't delivered and has shown that his songwriting is very limited. Boz knocks out the occasional good tune but doesn't appear to deliver songs in the quantity that Alain can.

I'm really curious as to Alain's position in the band is now. I think the live band has gone down hill since Alain left and to be honest I'm not that bothered about watching Moz live anymore as I really haven't taken to any of the new band. They're just plodding, but that's a whole discussion in it's own right!!

I think the possible delay in the new album could be down to Jerry Finn being ill or maybe the tour being delayed for whatever reasons. Who knows....

perhaps the album move has to do with the tour scheduling and release dates of other artists , its a fact that you need to sell few records in january to have a hit album , so perhaps thats the ploy by decca in a prediction it wont sell well in september a time heading into the christmas market where a record can be lost

as for the alain speculation its hardly a new topic , i think its good that parties dont comment on it , i think morrissey has lost a bit in the live performance by having less of a band and more of a backing musicians focus , the sound is good but the group mentailty is still there

saying that i would still go and see him if chas and dave played in the band

Many possibilities...

Perhaps the album wasn't finished and they have to wait for technical reasons.

Perhaps the tracklist was not finalised and the Record Company put it back rather than rush it through without properly planned publicity.

Winter is prime touring season, but tour venues to support album were not available when needed...

Ill health in band, unavailability of musician for personal reasons, or need to rest Morrissey's voice meant plans to tour had to be put off, and so release delayed...

too many to mention..

Will find out in the end.

Except that there's no evidence at all that Alain has not been allowed to contribute to the recordings of his own songs. In fact all the evidence points to the complete opposite. The sudden choice of Jerry Finn as producer who had been working with Alain previously, the choice of LA where Alain lives as the place to record.

I just think some people try to see problems where there are none.

Frankly, you could speculate that there is evidence.

First:

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/articles/07/04/20/1519250.shtml

This would have been around the time that Morrissey premiered All You Need is Me on Kimmell Live and, possibly, when it was recorded. As everyone now knows, AYNIM was recorded in Los Angeles with Jerry Finn and, unless he was removed from the final mix or not at the session, Alain is not on the song.

My Dearest Love, despite having minimal guitar parts, nevertheless was also recorded in L.A. with Finn's input (Santaolalla was the credited producer) at some point in 2007 and also does not feature Alain.

THPGU was apparently recorded in San Antonio during the tour, so that's a bit of a different scenario.

I was one of the people who noted "murmurings" via SUPPOSED (I stress, since I was not there) e-mails exchanged with Alain on his myspace site, but, frankly, I didn't intend for it to go down Tittle-Tattle Alley - my idealism, I guess. But, to me, the examples I have cited above are at least enough to give one pause, whatever the case may be. I had assumed that Alain's tight working relationship with Finn meant he was beavering away on tracks whilst the band were on tour last fall.

I would also hope that when Morrissey winds up the publicity machine for Years of Refusal he makes a point to single out Alain. Jesse got all these proprs for being a new "muse" when RotT came out despite providing the more bland and predictable songs. It's not enough to proclaim that he feels Life is a Pigsty is his favorite song or single them out in a Q&A on a fan site - give props to the songwriter in the general public! I am continually amazed at how egoless Alain has been in the intervening four years since his last concert appearance. He has been unfailingly gracious in his praise of Morrissey, so I think the favor deserves returning. Morrissey has clearly looked to him to continue providing the bulk of his melodies.

Cheers,
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom