Andy Rourke

We should cheer Marr on to at least have a meeting with Morrissey for 2012!

His past will always overshadow him,he'll always be known as the ex frontman of the Smiths

marr joyce and rouke are the ex-smiths forever - why not level that at them they are clearly better targets

Morrissey is already known as just Morrissey - his success continues on without them - you have lost that argument many times over with every new release

The Smiths will never fully reform due to the greed of rouke and joyce

Morrissey and Marr don't trust each other anymore

Marr would love to work with Morrissey again secretly but can't bring himself to say it out loud - his ego is too big - instead he works with the cribs

Morrissey doesn't need Marr - he can continue successfully as he has always done

Interviewers always ask about a Smith reunion rather than a Morrissry/Marr reunion - why?

i could live without bruce and rick

Has anyone recently asked specifically about the possibility of him working with just Marr alone?

If a Morrissey/Marr reunion happens then its got to be with new material and its gonna take Marr to make the first move IMO.

Marr needs to submit some songs

marr joyce and rouke are the ex-smiths forever - why not level that at them they are clearly better targets

Morrissey is already known as just Morrissey - his success continues on without them - you have lost that argument many times over with every new release

The Smiths will never fully reform due to the greed of rouke and joyce

Morrissey and Marr don't trust each other anymore

Marr would love to work with Morrissey again secretly but can't bring himself to say it out loud - his ego is too big - instead he works with the cribs

Morrissey doesn't need Marr - he can continue successfully as he has always done

Interviewers always ask about a Smith reunion rather than a Morrissry/Marr reunion - why?

i could live without bruce and rick

Has anyone recently asked specifically about the possibility of him working with just Marr alone?

If a Morrissey/Marr reunion happens then its got to be with new material and its gonna take Marr to make the first move IMO.

Marr needs to submit some songs

What argument? Morrissey has always been known as Morrissey.

Now he's known to lesser fans than I and many others as Morrissey-the ex lead singer of The Smiths...

Just as much as Paul McCartney is an ex-Beatle,Morrissey is an ex-Smith...correct?

Last edited:
I highly doubt he will be seen on any 'talking head' type show discussing them as Marr has

He doesn't have to. Johnny Marr is "former Smiths guitarist" and Morrissey is Morrissey.

He doesn't have to. Johnny Marr is "former Smiths guitarist" and Morrissey is Morrissey.

That was my point all along.

I honestly don't think Morrissey's "gives one" about The Smiths much more...He always seems to tense a little if anyone mentions The Smiths. Haha, if Marr told Paul Morley that he misses Morrissey, why haven't they done their reunion by now?

He said he missed Moz personally, not professionally. Not that it really matters - as I've already explained, Moz has far too much pride in his solo work than to make a mockery of it by collaborating with Marr again.

He said he missed Moz personally, not professionally. Not that it really matters - as I've already explained, Moz has far too much pride in his solo work than to make a mockery of it by collaborating with Marr again.

Exactly.

I don't think it's been broached in recent years, but even in 1994 Morrissey was against the idea -

Q: Johnny Marr said recently that Strangeways is [the best Smiths album]

Well, it is. We're in absolute accordance on that. We say it quite often. At the same time. In our sleep. But in different beds.

Q: When did you last speak to him?

We speak constantly, which is a great joy to me because after the great gulf of the horrendous breakdown, it was truly uplifting for us to become friends again and to realise that he was still as funny and creative and uplifting to be around. He's enormously underrated as a musician and, dare I say it, as a personality. He has an extraordinary mind and knowledge of music but I think he's quite happy to not be at the forefront of anything these days. And the way I feel about The Smiths and the way Johnny feels are in accordance. We both sit down and think about The Queen Is Dead and a giant question mark appears. Strangeways Here We Come which, as you might know, was our last studio album, said everything eloquently, perfectly at the right time and put the tin hat on it basically.

Q: But you get the feeling you're saying that you appreciate the worth of The Smiths but let's forget about them now.

I wasn't saying that in the least! I'm terribly offended. I'd like to sit here for five hours and talk about The Smiths. (Pause) Northern joke. No punchline.

Q: So, you and Johnny are friends again. Could you ever become partners again?

We may invest in an allotment together at some point but as far as six nights at the London Palladium goes, I do not think so. And why should we? Can you name one reunion that ever worked... apart from Pentangle?

Full interview here: http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1994/hello.htm

And yet 5 years later at 14.20 and 25.25 he would twist and drag that knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah its horrible to watch that documentary - Johnny can't be proud watching that - what a bitch he is - he hints but doesn't name names what a spineless coward - Just say it if you believe it to be the truth.

he needs to apologies if he wants to play with Morrissey again

also whose side was marr on in the court case again????

rourke and joyce baffle me - they are not and never where 25% (each) of The Smith that is laughable - it means they believe Morrissey and Marr were also both just 25% of The Smiths - lol - that is bare faced greed - 10% is very generous bearing in mind there creative contribution - but greed speaks louder than fairness it seems

Does anyone acutally believe that Morrissey contibution to what The Smiths was/is only 25%? - the same goes for Marr anyone think he contributed just 25% to The Smiths as a group?

and they dare to suggest it is/was Morrissey that is money hungry - astonishing!

contract or no contract 10% is fair - you put in less work you should get out less profit - simple.

don't tell me.... "joyce was there in the back of the van playing those shows....." - yawn yeah so was Morrissey and Marr but who did all the interviews and designed the artwork/programmes created the Smith's world.....blah blah.

If Morrissey is that hard to get along/work with how does Boz do it?

when rouke said that "it is well documented that Morrissey doesn't like things written down" i lolled - how? - what a fool.

Their friendship has certainly been rather up and down over the years. Sparked up again in 1994, collapsed in 1996, reignited in 2004 and has been sort of ambling along tenuously since then. I think that's the same documentary where Johnny talks about the first meeting actually.

Ultimately, I think Marr does have a lot of respect for Morrissey, but he often disguises it if he thinks it won't settle well with the person he's speaking to. Bernard Sumner was quite a vocal opponent of Morrissey when Electronic began and Johnny's cattiness followed suit - "Art Wank" instead of Our Frank, and so on. Around the time of the court case, Moz said that Johnny had done what he always does, "Trying to please everyone and pleasing no-one", and I think that's a good description of Johnny in that documentary as well. He's pulled Morrissey into it in order to shift the blame, to make himself look innocent. "It wasn't me, put it that way", etc. And yet when the going is good and people mention Morrissey to him with respect or admiration - it's a different story again.

'I could have mentioned your name, I could have dragged you in...guilt by implication, by association, I've always been true to you'... etc.

What argument? Morrissey has always been known as Morrissey.

Now he's known to lesser fans than I and many others as Morrissey-the ex lead singer of The Smiths...

Just as much as Paul McCartney is an ex-Beatle,Morrissey is an ex-Smith...correct?

well yes correct but completely meaningless

so what? - that is how he entered the public world - that image sticks

When the general public think of Bob Dylan they probably think of folk music

By the way I don't know many people who would respond when told "I am going to see Paul Mccarthney" with "Paul McCartney who?"

Morrissey is a successful solo artist of over 20 years without any help from the other three - by every definition he has been successful

and the other three?

one plays in Smiths tribute bands and "DJ's"
one lives of his ill-gotton court money - ie lives off Morrissey
the other is a bit player and hired guitar who has failed several times to get his solo act off the ground.

all three are professional ex-Smiths (as the film shows) - "the Smiths" is still thier main/only income

maybe despite some excellent albums (some atleast as good as The Smiths) maybe Morrissey will always be an ex-smith in the general publics eye - but if any of the four have any chance of getting out of the shadow of the Smiths it is without doubt Morrissey who has the best.

Morrissey is not a professional ex-Smith he is and always had been Morrissey full time.

I got to thinking about this video......

I assume joyce and rouke got paid for doing this interview as they also do when they make appearances as ex-Smiths (like DJing events or meet and greets)

They were certainly hired for this film to discuss "The Smiths" as a whole group rather than just their limited role in the group

and they are happy to discuss every aspect of The Smiths (including bitching about Morrissey)

so they are trading off the name "The Smiths" -

it will probably actually say " mike joyce of the Smiths or ex-Smiths andy rouke" on the posters/DVD's/Books

clearly earning directly from The Smiths name - which they only own 25% of each. i wonder if they give Morrissey his 25% of the fees?

seems crazy when you look at it like that - but rouke and joyce are actually claiming that they are owed 25% of all those "Smiths" TV/radio/magazine interviews fees (putting aside the creative input) that they never even attended all those years ago - and they dragged Morrissey through the courts smiling to get there hands on that money - the money Morrissey had earned while they had snoozed.

this despite 10% of The Smith royalties being probably enough to live on forever - not bad for 5 years "work"

it needs a morrissey fan to graduate as a lawyer and take it upon themselves to right this wong

Back
Top Bottom