belle and sebastian at the Back Yard

Re: Bands that play with interesting stage adornmentsts..

> If mother nature is your thing, and you want Tree's and hedges on stage at
> gigs.. two tips..

British Sea Power also take to a stage festooned with with twigs, bushes and shy, timorous woodland creatures (stuffed.) *And* - bonus for Smiths fans, this - they sometimes flagellate each other with saplings.

Re: Bands that play with interesting stage adornmentsts..

> British Sea Power also take to a stage festooned with with twigs, bushes
> and shy, timorous woodland creatures (stuffed.) *And* - bonus for Smiths
> fans, this - they sometimes flagellate each other with saplings.

Thanks for that warning, Almo. Sounds too wacky for my liking.I'll give them a miss.
Cheers

British Sea Power and flagellation with sapling

> Thanks for that warning, Almo. Sounds too wacky for my liking.I'll give
> them a miss.
> Cheers

We were watching one of them lamping one of his bandmates with half a tree - like a demented Christian Brother in a particularly violent institutional sex abuse dramatisation - and one of my friends - not really a Smiths diehard, it must be said - says "did Morrissey used to do that ?" Can you imagine it ? We'd have been lucky if Johnny had stuck around for 1 album at that rate, let alone 4 of them.

Re: British Sea Power and flagellation with sapling

> We were watching one of them lamping one of his bandmates with half a tree
> - like a demented Christian Brother in a particularly violent
> institutional sex abuse dramatisation - and one of my friends - not really
> a Smiths diehard, it must be said - says "did Morrissey used to do
> that ?" Can you imagine it ? We'd have been lucky if Johnny had stuck
> around for 1 album at that rate, let alone 4 of them.

I like the sound of BSP I must say. Something to watch on the stage is an absolute godsend nowadays with all this live 'rock nroll' banality about! Rock Thatre is what I like.. a tight band driven by entertining themselves and the crowd! ..music must die with it's boots on..

Buffallo Tom Ruffian

British Sea Power are amazing live! Not too good on record I dont think..

I got some stage-set branches from the Carling Fest gig and paraded them around for the rest of the night. Very entertaining chaps indeed.

> I like the sound of BSP I must say. Something to watch on the stage is an
> absolute godsend nowadays with all this live 'rock nroll' banality about!
> Rock Thatre is what I like.. a tight band driven by entertining themselves
> and the crowd! ..music must die with it's boots on..

> Buffallo Tom Ruffian

> British Sea Power are amazing live! Not too good on record I dont think..

Damn right, ACO, but I'd wager thay are pants live too. I was so bored when you made me watch them on Jools Holland, that I considered fixing your broken curtain rail!

> I got some stage-set branches from the Carling Fest gig and paraded them
> around for the rest of the night.

Showng your bush off again, eh?

> Damn right, ACO, but I'd wager thay are pants live too. I was so bored
> when you made me watch them on Jools Holland, that I considered fixing
> your broken curtain rail!

> Showng your bush off again, eh?

That's you isn't it Bluenose? showing your bush and chasing saplings!!

Ruffian

Ah, ...more ammunition. Lovely. Our Ruff likes wackiness on stage.
Like Peter Gabriel dressing up as a giant flower in the immediate pre-punk days. Oh, such jolly fun to see the public schoolboys and their wacky jokes while they produce their self-indulgent shite.
While he was at Knebworth with 100,000 Led Zep fans in '78, McCann was vomiting because the Gang Of Four had delayed their gig by a few hours because of...f***IN STUDENTS!!

And people wonder why I drink.

> Ah, ...more ammunition. Lovely. Our Ruff likes wackiness on stage.
> Like Peter Gabriel dressing up as a giant flower in the immediate pre-punk
> days. Oh, such jolly fun to see the public schoolboys and their wacky
> jokes while they produce their self-indulgent shite.

now YOU are talking mate.. Barry Mooncult in Flowered Up!.. f*ckin genius. Bez in teh Monday.. that's an interesting aberation as well

> While he was at Knebworth with 100,000 Led Zep fans in '78, McCann was
> vomiting because the Gang Of Four had delayed their gig by a few hours
> because of...f***IN STUDENTS!!

I was there.. I must admit, Knebworth .. You should have heard the encore of Heartbreaker.. man, we just fell about the place.. I was very young though.. remember being scared by all these hairy assed bikesr lighting bonfires that could be seen from Space! v

> And people wonder why I drink.

A scotsman who like a drink?.. bloody hell, that's a turn up for the books.

Ruffian

> now YOU are talking mate.. Barry Mooncult in Flowered Up!.. f*ckin genius.
> Bez in teh Monday.. that's an interesting aberation as well

> I was there.. I must admit, Knebworth ..

You must ADMIT??!!? You were on here regularly BRAGGING about it, not realising there was an authentic old punk soldier (me) reading it, but remaining silent.
I let you prattle on for a few months about Led Zep, Iron Maiden, AC/DC and plenty of others who were the antithesis of punk.
Then......then.....in the most astute military manoeuvre since Napoleon's day..........I pounced!!!!
Panic in the Ruff camp!!! f***!!! Where did HE come from??!!?

Then, in desperation, and trying to redeem himself in the eyes of the onlooking impressionable pesky kids, came the spin!! The backtracking!! The
" well, erm.., I was into punk too" fabrication.

You make me pish my pants, you old punk-hater.
Motorbikes outside the rural pub, denim jackets with 'Rush' embroidered (embroidered!!!) on the back. Talking about Def Lep and Led Zep. Deep Purple and Pink Floyd.
I saw hundreds of your type at the time. I used to go out with a bird from a wee quiet town near Paisley/Glasgow called Bridge of Weir. There they all were. Your scottish counterparts. They hated punk. Why shouldn't they?? They were happy with what was already out there, so why embrace anything new??
Each to their own, I say.

You should have heard the encore
> of Heartbreaker..

No, I shouldn't have, Ruff. I can think of fewer things worse.

man, we just fell about the place..

Pishing my pants again , Ruff. You really were clueless, weren't you? 1978. That was a good year for gigs.
Stranglers, Clash, X Ray Spex, The Saints, Alternative TV, The Rezillos, Penetration, The Buzzcocks, The Fall, Sham 69, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Adverts, Wire, The Ramones, Eater, The Damned, Chelsea, Slaughter & The Dogs etc from the original bunch.
Complimented by newcomers like Stiff Little Fingers, Gang Of Four, The Undertones, The Ruts, UK Subs, Spizz Oil, Public Image Ltd, The Only Ones, The Lurkers, Magazine.
Oh, and Led Zep at Knebworth. Tee-hee. Twat.

I was very young
> though..

Aaah, that explains it.

remember being scared by all these hairy assed bikesr lighting
> bonfires that could be seen from Space!

Tossers, Ruff. The lot of 'em.

> A scotsman who like a drink?.. bloody hell, that's a turn up for the
> books.

That's right. Now run along.
see ye later ya numpty.

McCann. The can-do punk man.

> Ruffian

ps Can I send you the laundry bill for my pants?? After all, it's your fault.

Re: For PMc.. ongoing dialogue.. non punks need not read!

> You must ADMIT??!!? You were on here regularly BRAGGING about it, not
> realising there was an authentic old punk soldier (me) reading it, but
> remaining silent.

Damn.. caught out by the wiley campaigner who saw through my not so clever subterfuge.. I still argue I was in both camps, physically in one sense, and intelectually in another.

> I let you prattle on for a few months about Led Zep, Iron Maiden, AC/DC
> and plenty of others who were the antithesis of punk.
> Then......then.....in the most astute military manoeuvre since Napoleon's
> day..........I pounced!!!! Panic in the Ruff camp!!! f***!!! Where did HE
> come from??!!?

I have to laugh.. I do enjoy these retorts! But it's so f*cking true! I am not proud of some of the things I did in the past!! And just the thought I was with someone who actually bought a Judas Priest programme, complete with a 'pop up' Rob Halford makes me squirm.. (AND it wasnt me this time) It was really Spinal Tap at times.

> Then, in desperation, and trying to redeem himself in the eyes of the
> onlooking impressionable pesky kids, came the spin!! The backtracking!!
> The " well, erm.., I was into punk too" fabrication.

All True.. I was a regular in the fledgling audio depat of Whitechapel Library, and used to walk to Aldgate East daily with my Walkman listening to (from memory) 'Penetrations 'Moving Targets', Patti Smith albums, 'Rattus', Sham69 and the Banshee's ('difficult' album) The Scream. Amongst others..

> You make me pish my pants, you old punk-hater.

We were never punk haters, honestly. You were outsiders more than us, but harmless in our eyes. We had a thing about MODS. Which is odd, coz I'm more of a mod now than I ever have been.

> Motorbikes outside the rural pub, denim jackets with 'Rush' embroidered
> (embroidered!!!) on the back. Talking about Def Lep and Led Zep. Deep
> Purple and Pink Floyd.

Well, Dunno about rural, but the chats went on for sure.. Ever sat through a showing of Pink Floyds Live at Pompeii.. that is an endurance test.. Rush were abysmal then, and they are now. concept albums like 2112? what is THAT about.

> I saw hundreds of your type at the time. I used to go out with a bird from
> a wee quiet town near Paisley/Glasgow called Bridge of Weir. There they
> all were. Your scottish counterparts. They hated punk. Why shouldn't
> they?? They were happy with what was already out there, so why embrace
> anything new?? Each to their own, I say.

Not that it matters now, but like I said, never a punk hater. Maybe it was different in the south! We used to go to a Rock club called the Dutch House in Eltham on the A20.. Do you know that area.. Every Friday.. drunk on cider and light ales. Listening to Tommy Vance! (oh dear lord, I should make a note of all these notes, they bring back some dastardly hidden memories)

> You should have heard the encore No, I shouldn't have, Ruff. I can think of
> fewer things worse. > man, we just fell about the place..

That was a nobhead thing to say.. you're right.. but I like to throw some lines in that I KNOW will make you cringe!

> Pishing my pants again , Ruff. You really were clueless, weren't you?
> 1978. That was a good year for gigs.
> Stranglers, Clash, X Ray Spex, The Saints, Alternative TV, The Rezillos,
> Penetration, The Buzzcocks, The Fall, Sham 69, Siouxsie & The
> Banshees, The Adverts, Wire, The Ramones, Eater, The Damned, Chelsea,
> Slaughter & The Dogs etc from the original bunch.

Patrick, what can I say.. This is a role call of homour that eclipses all my expereineces at that time.. Still, at least I was out there somewhere doing it live! Even if misguided.

Questions..
1. Ever see JJB start a fight? Wade into the crowd like he was meant too do? Did Hugh have a massive attitude even then?
2. Were the Clash as good as they say live? I have me doubts.. there were better bands I'm sure.
3. Poly Styrene.. what was the ratio of girls to punk boys at these gigs?
4. Bored Teenagers by the Adverts (wasnt it?).. great tune!
5. Ramones.. tell any anecdote and I'll be happy.. did you get that Uncut the other month with a live version of Blitzkrieg Bop on it?
6. Which incarantion of the Damned did you see.. How many times have you seen the Captains tackle!! haha

> Complimented by newcomers like Stiff Little Fingers, Gang Of Four, The
> Undertones, The Ruts, UK Subs, Spizz Oil, Public Image Ltd, The Only Ones,
> The Lurkers, Magazine.

PIL.. that was another defining moment for me seeing PIL LTD performed on TOTP.. (I know I know, Year too late)

> Oh, and Led Zep at Knebworth. Tee-hee. Twat. I was very young Aaah, that
> explains it.> remember being scared by all these hairy assed bikesr lighting
> Tossers, Ruff. The lot of 'em.
> That's right. Now run along.
> see ye later ya numpty.

When did you lose the plot then.. coz like I've said.. when you left these shores.. you must've lost touch.. what happened to your old punk gang.. the vets who survived? do you still see them? Do you/they still gig! We're maybe panning to go to a Rockabilly club on 20th at the metro bar in Oxford st.. if you're about..

Ruffian

PS, I could start on my fascination with New Romanticism next! But I know you'll Pish your pants again!

> Damn.. caught out by the wiley campaigner who saw through my not so clever
> subterfuge.. I still argue I was in both camps, physically in one sense,
> and intelectually in another.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................

> I have to laugh.. I do enjoy these retorts! But it's so f*cking true!

I know it's true. I had a mental picture of you in your youth through your earlier pro-heavy rock posts. I really did read and say nothing in reply. I was even more shy and quiet then than I am now. Hard to believe, I know.
As I say, I saw hundreds of your kind when they came into the big city from the quieter towns 15 or 20 miles out. It was VERY typical.

I am
> not proud of some of the things I did in the past!! And just the thought I
> was with someone who actually bought a Judas Priest programme, complete
> with a 'pop up' Rob Halford makes me squirm.. (AND it wasnt me this time)
> It was really Spinal Tap at times.

We're all daft(er) when we're young Ruff. You were simply too young and in the wrong place with the wrong crowd. Very typical of your surroundings.

> All True.. I was a regular in the fledgling audio depat of Whitechapel
> Library, and used to walk to Aldgate East daily with my Walkman listening
> to (from memory) 'Penetrations 'Moving Targets', Patti Smith albums,
> 'Rattus', Sham69 and the Banshee's ('difficult' album) The Scream. Amongst
> others..

> We were never punk haters, honestly.
You were outsiders more than us,

We were. We were in a tiny minority. The chart positions of what are now recognised as classics from the punk era back up everything I say.
Use your computer thingy (or one of your books) and see where 'another girl another planet', 'in a rut', 'i'm stranded' ( I bought that in 1976!!) and even 'teenage kicks' got in the (I love this expression) hit parade!
Irresponsible hacks in articles in mags like Q and Mojo paint it as a punked-up paradise. They're only demonstrating that they weren't there either. Nothing could be further from the truth.
I could do a long list of classics that didn't even look sideways at the charts. It might come as a shock to some of my younger readers who have been led to believe that they sold well. They didn't.
As is oh-so typical of so many bands, the best songs didn't sell while the lesser efforts did.
Check out 'orgasm addict' and 'what do i get' in comparison to the inferior 'ever fallen in love...?'

'in a rut' to 'babylon's burning'
'grip' & 'something better change' to 'golden brown'.
'anarchy in the uk' to 'silly thing'!!!!!!

And the list goes on and on.
One of life's most perplexing mysteries.

but
> harmless in our eyes. We had a thing about MODS. Which is odd, coz I'm
> more of a mod now than I ever have been.

There weren't any mods, Ruff. No, wait...you're talking about later, right?? Ach, my work was done by then. The doors had been kicked open.

> Well, Dunno about rural, but the chats went on for sure.. Ever sat through
> a showing of Pink Floyds Live at Pompeii.. that is an endurance test..
> Rush were abysmal then, and they are now. concept albums like 2112? what
> is THAT about.

> Not that it matters now, but like I said, never a punk hater. Maybe it was
> different in the south! We used to go to a Rock club called the Dutch
> House in Eltham on the A20.. Do you know that area.. Every Friday.. drunk
> on cider and light ales. Listening to Tommy Vance! (oh dear lord, I should
> make a note of all these notes, they bring back some dastardly hidden
> memories)

I had you painted as a Tommy Vance devotee long before you wrote that, Ruff. I already knew. By instinct.

> That was a nobhead thing to say.. you're right.. but I like to throw some
> lines in that I KNOW will make you cringe!

> Patrick, what can I say.. This is a role call of homour that eclipses all
> my expereineces at that time.. Still, at least I was out there somewhere
> doing it live! Even if misguided.

> Questions..
> 1. Ever see JJB start a fight? Wade into the crowd like he was meant too
> do? Did Hugh have a massive attitude even then?

Neither of them gave a f*** about the violence (they just grinned with satisfaction and kept playing) when we went head to head with the bouncers during a gig at the glasgow apollo in May, 1978. The intro to 'five minutes' (surely the most menacing intro in history) was the spark that lit the bad atmosphere that had existed between us since the beginning of the gig. Every time I smile (which isn't often, I admit) my tooth brings back the memories. Aye.....happy days.

> 2. Were the Clash as good as they say live? I have me doubts.. there were
> better bands I'm sure.

Never the biggest Clash fan. Their punk stuff was tremendous but that reggae thing never appealed.

> 3. Poly Styrene.. what was the ratio of girls to punk boys at these gigs?

probably nine or ten to one. Not many girlies. We ended up with two hanging around with us. Both called Annie. Aye...where are they now?

> 4. Bored Teenagers by the Adverts (wasnt it?).. great tune!

Aye. Gaye Advert was actually wanking material in the early days. One thing that Siouxsie or Poly never achieved. Not with me anyway.

> 5. Ramones.. tell any anecdote and I'll be happy.. did you get that Uncut
> the other month with a live version of Blitzkrieg Bop on it?

Naw. Didn't see that. I've largely given up on those mags now. I'll glance at them in the shop then put them back on the shelf. I've got about 30 cd's from Uncut from 1999 to about 2002. Then I stopped.
Didn't see The Ramones til 77 (maybe even 78). Just a sweatfest as you can imagine. We were almost constantly drenched in the stuff. Medical experts have said that plenty of exercise when you're young stands you in good stead for old age. That was the only reason we did it.

> 6. Which incarantion of the Damned did you see.. How many times have you
> seen the Captains tackle!! haha

Was an unfortunate witness to his package at a young age (I'm still receiving counselling). Went to see them last at The Shepherds Bush Empire in summer 2001 when I'd just returned from a stint in nyc.
It seemed that EVERYBODY was over 40. All sarf london beer guts having a whale of a time. I didn't actually think they were good that night, so when a bear-necked neanderthal started chanting "Sensible's a Wanker, Sensible's a Wanker" I, naturally, joined in. Good laugh though.

> PIL.. that was another defining moment for me seeing PIL LTD performed on
> TOTP.. (I know I know, Year too late)

> When did you lose the plot then.. coz like I've said.. when you left these
> shores.. you must've lost touch.. what happened to your old punk gang..
> the vets who survived? do you still see them? Do you/they still gig! We're
> maybe panning to go to a Rockabilly club on 20th at the metro bar in
> Oxford st.. if you're about..

> Ruffian

Left for Spain in early 82 to do bar work and drink and shag and generally live by night. The only man who could spend eight months in a meditteranean hotspot and return to the UK even paler that he had been when he left.
The doors were open , not for punk stuff, but for an indie/alternative poptastic future, whether it was Dexy's , The Specials, New Order, or whoever else the pesky kids wanted to get into. It was up to them . My work was done.
A couple of the old gang followed me to Spain and we had a great time there during the 80's. Others had stayed put and got into The Smiths, HMHB, The Weddoes etc.
Met up for beers and gigs sporadically during the 80's on visits home.
By the mid-90's however it had all gone truly pear-shaped. Petty niggling and jealousies and shagging each others birds and wives , and I decided to get out.
By the way, I've a photo of me and Lydon outside a venue in Barcelona in 86 before a PiL gig. I'll show you it sometime. He was most shocked to hear an "Oi!! John!!" shout went he got off the bus in the afternoon for a sound check.

> PS, I could start on my fascination with New Romanticism next! But I know
> you'll Pish your pants again!

too late, Ruff. My pants are already pished in. Another laundry bill coming your way.
Cheers.

Be interested in a list from you of the 'classic' tracks from the albums these young guns you talk of released, but I might have missed.. e.g. Adverts, Penetration, Slits etc..

For example, I Certainly I agree about your criticism of Golden Brown.. untypical of that Stranglers glory day '5 Minutes' which was a double a side with 'Rok it To the Moon' I think.. I had that on vinyl.

I also rated the best Pistols track as 'Bodies' Marvellous rock n'roll tune that'll never get any air play! My mates all liked 'Satellite' as well.

You cannot criticise Babylons Burning though.. even if it was a hit.. It still stand the test.. all the Ruts stuff does though. '..Rude Boys', 'H Eyes'

What was your opinion of the Sounds largelly fuelled by Gary Bushell 'Oi' movement as well.. Cockney Rejects, and all those skin bands? Anything good from that musically?

We saw the Damned at Croydown Fairfield Halls last year (or was it earlier this year) and they were like punk cabaret now..

John Otway is a hero of mine you know.. met him quite a few times.. He's a good lad. His live shows (duo or solo) are unmisseable..

Ruffian

It really baffles me when people criticise 'Golden Brown', its far from my fav Stranglers track but Golden Brown was not untypical of The Stranglers at all, check 'Don't Bring Harry' from The Raven '79, or even something like 'Outside Tokyo' of Black & White '78.

Babylons Burning is an absolute classic, fantastic guitar from Paul Fox, great drumming from Dave Ruffy. Basically more or less every Ruts track is a standard for definitive punk as far as I'm concerned. The Ruts were the sort of band that seperated the shite from the real deal.

> Be interested in a list from you of the 'classic' tracks from the albums
> these young guns you talk of released, but I might have missed.. e.g.
> Adverts, Penetration, Slits etc..

> For example, I Certainly I agree about your criticism of Golden Brown..
> untypical of that Stranglers glory day '5 Minutes' which was a double a
> side with 'Rok it To the Moon' I think.. I had that on vinyl.

> I also rated the best Pistols track as 'Bodies' Marvellous rock n'roll
> tune that'll never get any air play! My mates all liked 'Satellite' as
> well.

> You cannot criticise Babylons Burning though.. even if it was a hit.. It
> still stand the test.. all the Ruts stuff does though. '..Rude Boys', 'H
> Eyes'

> What was your opinion of the Sounds largelly fuelled by Gary Bushell 'Oi'
> movement as well.. Cockney Rejects, and all those skin bands? Anything
> good from that musically?

> We saw the Damned at Croydown Fairfield Halls last year (or was it earlier
> this year) and they were like punk cabaret now..

> John Otway is a hero of mine you know.. met him quite a few times.. He's a
> good lad. His live shows (duo or solo) are unmisseable..

> Ruffian

Re: Also

> It really baffles me when people criticise 'Golden Brown', its far from my
> fav Stranglers track but Golden Brown was not untypical of The Stranglers
> at all, check 'Don't Bring Harry' from The Raven '79, or even something
> like 'Outside Tokyo' of Black & White '78.

> Babylons Burning is an absolute classic, fantastic guitar from Paul Fox,
> great drumming from Dave Ruffy. Basically more or less every Ruts track is
> a standard for definitive punk as far as I'm concerned. The Ruts were the
> sort of band that seperated the shite from the real deal.

The Adverts - I'm not into them anymore, but the singles prior to Cast Of Thousands will feature in any punk classic roll call, eg One Chord Wonders, Gary Gilmores Eyes, Safety In Numbers, No Time To Be 21. Their second album 'Cast Of Thousands is truly awful, one to avoid.

The Slits - Truly shambolic band but somehow it worked, I used to own a very rare promo of The Cut LP which I sold for a tidy sum.

Penetration - I reckon everyone would love this band, even if I don't. I did like Pauline Murrays vocal on The Only Ones single 'Fools'.

> The Adverts - I'm not into them anymore, but the singles prior to Cast Of
> Thousands will feature in any punk classic roll call, eg One Chord
> Wonders, Gary Gilmores Eyes, Safety In Numbers, No Time To Be 21. Their
> second album 'Cast Of Thousands is truly awful, one to avoid.

> The Slits - Truly shambolic band but somehow it worked, I used to own a
> very rare promo of The Cut LP which I sold for a tidy sum.

> Penetration - I reckon everyone would love this band, even if I don't. I
> did like Pauline Murrays vocal on The Only Ones single 'Fools'.

Thanks Radar... There's some gems in there I'm sure.. it's those tracks hidden on track 7 of side 2 that were the ones that could've been contenders.. They're the ones I like to hear. What's the best Penetration tracks?

There's not a been a bad word said about the Ruts in all my years here you know.. That's gotta be a record of sorts.

Ruffian

> Thanks Radar... There's some gems in there I'm sure.. it's those tracks
> hidden on track 7 of side 2 that were the ones that could've been
> contenders.. They're the ones I like to hear. What's the best Penetration
> tracks?

> There's not a been a bad word said about the Ruts in all my years here you
> know.. That's gotta be a record of sorts.

> Ruffian

Other than the 2 studio albums 'Moving Targets' and 'Coming Up For Air', there is also a compilation entitled the early years, which is basically all the singles and b sides which is worth looking out for. Also Pauline Murray's debut solo album is worth checking out, although I think it is destroyed by Martin Hannets way OTT production. Worth checking out though, its called 'Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls'. The Invisible Girls being the band Hannett would often assemble to back solo artists he worked with such as the brilliant John Cooper Clarke. This is hard to find though.

And also there is a CD from the BBC 'In Concert' series which features The Ruts and Penetration on one CD, another hard to find one, but excellent all the same, worth keeping an eye out for.

Re: Children! Children!! Now sit down!! And pay attention!!

Now. Your reading skills have been coming on leaps and bounds lately, but you haven't read my post properly. There was no criticism of 'Golden Brown', 'Babylon's Burning', or 'Ever Fallen In Love......'.
Great though they are, they are still inferior to less commercially successful singles by the same bands. THAT'S the point I was making.
The immense 'In A Rut','Another Girl Another Planet', and, say, 'Orgasm Addict' simply didn't sell. The Ruts and The Buzzcocks commercial success came with lesser BUT STILL EXCELLENT!! songs.
I've read Dexy's die-hards here bemoaning the 'Come On Eileen' factor with the band.
The same could even be said of The Smiths with 'Panic', 'Ask', and 'Heaven Knows.......' when better singles didn't sell.
I'm sure you've had similar experiences with your own peers about bands and songs , but for waaaaaaaaay too long I've had to put up with the following,
Me - "...and I liked The Stranglers."
Peer - " oh aye, The Stranglers. What was their song again? 'Golden Brown', wasn't it??

...and...
Me - "...and I liked The Ruts".
Peer - " oh aye, The Ruts. What was their song again? 'Babylon's Burning With Anxiety', wasn't it?
Me - " aye, well, it was just called 'Babylon's Burning'."
Peer -"Naw, I think you'll find it was 'Babylon's Burning With Anxiety'".

Then I collapse with high blood pressure and an ambulance comes to take me to hospital.

OK? So come on. I've spoken to the headmaster about how good you two are, so keep up with your reading. OK? Right, it's lunchtime. Go and have some lunch. And no running!!!

Re: Children!! Sit down!!!

Now, where in my post did I criticise 'babylon's burning' and 'golden brown'?
If you read it properly, you'll see I was merely highlighting the puzzle that is band's having greater success with songs that are inferior , (THOUGH STILL EXCELLENT!!) to other singles of theirs.
'ever fallen in love' (THOUGH STILL EXCELLENT!!) is inferior to 'orgasm addict'. And 'what do i get'. And 'i don't mind' and 'love you more' for that matter. But it was their biggest hit.
Likewise 'babylon's burning', 'something that i said', 'staring at the rude boys' and 'west one' are all inferior (THOUGH STILL EXCELLENT!!)to 'in a rut'.
Same with 'golden brown' and too many stranglers singles to mention. I haven't got all day. I'm a busy man, y'know.
Ok. I've been really pleased with you two recently, but your reading seems to have gone back a bit. I hope it's only a momentary lapse.
Alright, it's lunchtime. Go and have some lunch.

And no running!!!

> Other than the 2 studio albums 'Moving Targets' and 'Coming Up For Air',
> there is also a compilation entitled the early years, which is basically
> all the singles and b sides which is worth looking out for. Also Pauline
> Murray's debut solo album is worth checking out, although I think it is
> destroyed by Martin Hannets way OTT production. Worth checking out though,
> its called 'Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls'. The Invisible Girls
> being the band Hannett would often assemble to back solo artists he worked
> with such as the brilliant John Cooper Clarke. This is hard to find
> though.

> And also there is a CD from the BBC 'In Concert' series which features The
> Ruts and Penetration on one CD, another hard to find one, but excellent
> all the same, worth keeping an eye out for.

The Adverts debut 'Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts' is ESSENTIAL, Ruff. Though young O'reilly's right about the follow-up.
You'll also love the UK Subs 'Another kind of blues'. It's got loads of their earlier singles on it but plenty of other tracks too.
One band I haven't mentioned before ( because of their terrible name) is The Boys. Wonderful punk-pop in the finest traditions of ..erm..punk-pop. No eight-minute screeching guitar solos but I'm sure you'll like it just the same.
I'll get back to you with more but I'm in a library and .... Time's Up!!

> Be interested in a list from you of the 'classic' tracks from the albums
> these young guns you talk of released, but I might have missed.. e.g.
> Adverts, Penetration, Slits etc..

> For example, I Certainly I agree about your criticism of Golden Brown..
> untypical of that Stranglers glory day '5 Minutes' which was a double a
> side with 'Rok it To the Moon' I think.. I had that on vinyl.

> I also rated the best Pistols track as 'Bodies' Marvellous rock n'roll
> tune that'll never get any air play! My mates all liked 'Satellite' as
> well.

> You cannot criticise Babylons Burning though.. even if it was a hit.. It
> still stand the test.. all the Ruts stuff does though. '..Rude Boys', 'H
> Eyes'

> What was your opinion of the Sounds largelly fuelled by Gary Bushell 'Oi'
> movement as well.. Cockney Rejects, and all those skin bands? Anything
> good from that musically?

> We saw the Damned at Croydown Fairfield Halls last year (or was it earlier
> this year) and they were like punk cabaret now..

> John Otway is a hero of mine you know.. met him quite a few times.. He's a
> good lad. His live shows (duo or solo) are unmisseable..

> Ruffian

Back
Top Bottom