Bono pays tribute to Morrissey during a U2 concert

Seen them 3 times, they are great live but I struggle with the political interlude they do, however, my wife loves them, so I have to go along seeing them as she has been to numerous Morrissey gigs with me! I remember the Bernard bongo comment, he lives close to me and I will ask him if he remembers it next time I see him. Bernard said something along the lines of "you shall not to pretend to be the messiah, well that Bongo chap is having a good go at it" was on a tv programme but can't remember which one?

It was on that french music channel that did a lot of interviews with bands and artists in early 90's. New Order were in a changing room and the others giggled a lot when Bernard said that about Bono. I think it was in the same show that Hooky compared U2 with Joy Division and said that had they gone on, if not for Curtis' suicide, they might have become as big as U2.

Most bootleg videos about New Order back then contained that interview. I think it was shown on The Box but came from the french music tv channel that used the english language.

I can't argue with that, but to me Moz' last 3 albums are unlistenable. At least they are current, relevant and playing rock, pop music not mariachi schlock. IMHO.

That is certainly your opinion, but I believe that Morrissey is still creating some of his best music. Staircase is an amazing song...

mariachi schlock is the best description of world peace yet. kudos evennow well done.

That is certainly your opinion, but I believe that Morrissey is still creating some of his best music. Staircase is an amazing song...

Seconded. And to argue NOW that Moz isn't current is a bit laughable because he never was. He was pretty much constantly "out of sync". He was always special but certainly never part of any musical trends of the times which, by all means, is exactly what "current" is. By the way, it amuses me sometimes when I think about the 80s and how certain people accused Moz of not wanting to experiment in a musical sense yet the only thing I ever felt he didn't want to do was kowtowing to any current trends. And by extension to say that an artists relevance is defined by being current and by the amount of people who want to see you ... well, it's not quite that simple.

http://www.smh.com.au/small-busines...dislike-successful-women-20150423-1mrnp1.html

You know, given his audience, why not a guy who kills himself by throwing himself down the staircase? Poor male shithole who doesn't cope well with university... oh right, forgot, the blokes get good marks for piss poor performances and the jobs afterwards. You know there is something wrong if a professor in Northern Ireland, who quite obviously got his professorship because of his political affiliations and his homosexuality, tries to push such a song on Twitter. His last book on Morrissey contained so many sociological mistakes that are comparable to the bad haircuts that Morrissey gets from his homosexual bed fellow called hairdresser and PA. Just two examples of two completly incompetent men who should be on the dole instead.

I also don't know how anybody can take Bono seriously. He doesn't even know that Morrissey doesn't walk around with flowers at his concerts anymore.

I can't argue with that, but to me Moz' last 3 albums are unlistenable. At least they are current, relevant and playing rock, pop music not mariachi schlock. IMHO.

Take your head out of your ass. Bono is a drag. Life Is A Pigsty, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, Kiss Me Alot...as good as The Smiths my fine feathered fiend.

Seen them 3 times, they are great live but I struggle with the political interlude they do, however, my wife loves them, so I have to go along seeing them as she has been to numerous Morrissey gigs with me! I remember the Bernard bongo comment, he lives close to me and I will ask him if he remembers it next time I see him. Bernard said something along the lines of "you shall not to pretend to be the messiah, well that Bongo chap is having a good go at it" was on a tv programme but can't remember which one?

Right ! I've had enough of this name dropping so hear goes !
My guitar technician made ! Yes made a bass guitar for Hooky out of the flooring ripped up from the Hacienda night club !
So there you go !

( it is true but don't take it seriously Surface, I'm just pulling your leg a little. How is George Borrowski doing he lives in your neck of the woods Surface ? Top guy he is )

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Bono/U2 criticisms aside (though he is a genuine fan of Morrissey), it's fascinating how the early, hearing aid/NHS glasses/gladioli image endures. It is iconic, but...

Three stupid mistakes from Boner that prove he knows nothing much about Moz:
(1) refers to him as Steven
(2) refers to him as a performer
(3) erroneously claims Moz used to throw flowers into the crowd
Obviously Bonio is a casual fan at best. Not even that much I'd say.

"I am sick of people bashing U2. They are one of the greatest bands of all time (...)"

No, actually they are one of the worst bands of all time. Their latest albums (each one after Achung Baby, but especially the last three) are so bad, so trivial and so embarrassing that if some less known band made this kind of record, nobody would bother to listen to it.

Hey, I kinda love that sexy boots song. Like a lot. :p

Three stupid mistakes from Boner that prove he knows nothing much about Moz:
(1) refers to him as Steven
(2) refers to him as a performer
(3) erroneously claims Moz used to throw flowers into the crowd
Obviously Bonio is a casual fan at best. Not even that much I'd say.

And only one thing that proves you know more about 4ck all than any person I know !

Steven IS a performer !

Just like a performing seal in a traveling circus.

It's been a pleasure
Benny-the-British-Butcher

U2 plays stadiums and has their albums distributed all over the world on apple. Moz plays to 1500 seaters and has no label, having been turned down by dozens of them.
U2 has had worldwide hits, Moz a couple of minor hits in the UK. U2 are billionaires, Moz is broke.

I can't argue with that, but to me Moz' last 3 albums are unlistenable

Maybe I'm in a minority, but in my opinion Morrissey's latest three albums display great progress compared to the terrible and tedious You Are the Quarry, it is something much more musical and lively, although he still remains conservative and his music conventional. If any, his only solo masterpiece was Your Arsenal.

Hey, I kinda love that sexy boots song. Like a lot. :p

Though I find Get You Boots On really horrible, it's arguably the best song on No Line on the Horizon, at least a bit more rocking and less whining than the rest.

U2 plays stadiums and has their albums distributed all over the world on apple. Moz plays to 1500 seaters and has no label, having been turned down by dozens of them.
U2 has had worldwide hits, Moz a couple of minor hits in the UK. U2 are billionaires, Moz is broke.

Every time I read comments like this and see how people are blinded by commercial success I want to puke. Fortunately, it happens only if it comes to pop and rock music (because most pop and rock singers and bands are just commercial products). That's why I don't like rock criticism: much too much attention is paid to commercial phenomena. No jazz or classical music lover would praise a musician because he is a rich bestseller.

And moz has been a saviour and comfort giver to millions of people that felt so out of place in the world. He is one of the most infuential artists of all time. Nothing from the britpop era would have been the same without him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom