Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horsemeat

Re: Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horseme

It is added on to protect customers from very strong toxics in meat that may become a problem and also to change the appearance of the meat when it comes to colour mostly. It is possible that people would die from natural toxics in the meat if E250 was not added but only if customers did not handle the meat properly or cook or fry it the right way. By this logic we would all be driving cars that were protected in huge plastic see through material to protect us from getting hurt cause an accident may happen. The industry of course wants to sell all their meat and do so as long as possible and E250 will make it possible to keep the meat fresh and to sell it for much longer than if this was not added.

No sausages are ever red and they would all be grey if nothing was added but the industry do not believe customers would like grey sausages. Bacon is absolutely drenched in E250 for a reason and is very bad for the sensitive pancreas. Most food look the way it does cause it has been tempered with one way or the other as we humans eat with our eyes as they say.

The meat industry uses E250 to make sure no toxics in meat cause harm to people and this is of course cause they do not want to be held responsible. If millions of people die from cancer that no-one can prove that it came from the use of E250 then so be it. The meat industry is a winner anyhow.

E250 (sodium nitrite)

Re: Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers & whoppers containing horseme

So what? If you're going to eat dead animals, it's not that much difference betweeen a cow and a horse. So what if humans form emotional attachments to horses? Would you eat your family members?

As far as I can see the only issue here is labelling, and trade descriptions - people buying and eating things they thought they were not getting.

If you are going to eat dead flesh, so what if it tastes good to you? Why should you give a shit?

P.

I couldn't agree more. I, for one, love eating pussy. Far be it from me to judge others.

http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/

Sickening this! heart breaking! :(

Please click the above link!

Last edited:

^^^ Very funny! Your signature, that is. :lbf:

People are never, ever going to stop eating meat in all countries all around the world.It will never, ever happen no matter how much you,I or anyone else wants it to. All we can do is push for everything under our control to give animals destined for the plate a happy peaceful life and a swift painless death. Compassion In World Farming are an organisation that have my support, even though I don't eat meat.

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/

P.

People are never, ever going to stop eating meat in all countries all around the world.It will never, ever happen no matter how much you,I or anyone else wants it to. All we can do is push for everything under our control to give animals destined for the plate a happy peaceful life and a swift painless death. Compassion In World Farming are an organisation that have my support, even though I don't eat meat.

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/

P.

This is true. The root of the "evil" is the entire architecture of factory farming which our culture is BAD karmically mired in. This is what needs to be worked on for the animals sake.

Thanks so much for posting, Crystal. That's pretty gross, and sad. I can't even believe half the stuff on the lists. There's a lot of things on this list that uses vegan alternatives, but I'm not sure there's vegan alternatives for things like plywood...cement?! Ugh.

No prob! I think what needs to be encouraged for the meat eaters beyond saying "NO MEAT YOU BAD JUDGE, JUDGE, JUDGE" is for them to take little steps to make smarter choices, then they'll get the ball rolling on their own to do the right thing which will eventually change the industry. When it became hip to be eco-friendly, suddenly lots of corporations catered to that ideal, in regards to saving fossil fuels and energy. People buying Suburbans one decade are choosing Priuses the next because it's cool. Choosing not to eat meat can be cool too, it's how you spin it so the corporations win. Let them do the spinning. "We donated x amount of dollars to habitat for Humanity who built all these houses using vegan insulation...buy our product because we're cool and love animals!" That's the long term goal. Then it'll snowball.

I tapped into my inner-Morrissey yesterday at Petsmart. My dog has to take a weeks worth of pills twice a day and he's Houdini at spitting them out when I try to push it down his throat, so I get these things called pill pockets, it's like a little meat envelope you smash the pill into. I was standing there in the store, $8.99 for a bag of meat envelopes when my inner Moz said "MAKE CHEESE ENVELOPES. BARNEY LOVES CHEESE." So I did, and it works fine, Havarti Envelopes. :D He obviously can't be full-time veggie and I'm not going to deny him pieces of steak that another woman is offering from her plate that might go to waste anyway (I took him to dinner yesterday and this table of Mexican women were talking Spanish to him and feeding him steak while petting him. :p), but I can make little choices not to support the industry. I'm rambling. :p

This is true. The root of the "evil" is the entire architecture of factory farming which our culture is BAD karmically mired in. This is what needs to be worked on for the animals sake.

Have you read Fast Food Nation? Still the best book to date (that I am aware of) that exposes the horrors of factory farming. Now that is what I consider powerful, effective, and honest investigative journalism at its finest! Some journalist that guy Schlosser is, fo sho!

I wonder if there is a go-to-book that offers solid, practical solutions and alternatives to factory farming? Anyone?

Have you read Fast Food Nation? Still the best book to date (that I am aware of) that exposes the horrors of factory farming. Now that is what I consider powerful, effective, and honest investigative journalism at its finest! Some journalist that guy Schlosser is, fo sho!

I wonder if there is a go-to-book that offers solid, practical solutions and alternatives to factory farming? Anyone?

Hey, I said PM your apologies to me ;)

No prob! I think what needs to be encouraged for the meat eaters beyond saying "NO MEAT YOU BAD JUDGE, JUDGE, JUDGE" is for them to take little steps to make smarter choices, then they'll get the ball rolling on their own to do the right thing which will eventually change the industry. When it became hip to be eco-friendly, suddenly lots of corporations catered to that ideal, in regards to saving fossil fuels and energy. People buying Suburbans one decade are choosing Priuses the next because it's cool. Choosing not to eat meat can be cool too, it's how you spin it so the corporations win. Let them do the spinning. "We donated x amount of dollars to habitat for Humanity who built all these houses using vegan insulation...buy our product because we're cool and love animals!" That's the long term goal. Then it'll snowball.

I tapped into my inner-Morrissey yesterday at Petsmart. My dog has to take a weeks worth of pills twice a day and he's Houdini at spitting them out when I try to push it down his throat, so I get these things called pill pockets, it's like a little meat envelope you smash the pill into. I was standing there in the store, $8.99 for a bag of meat envelopes when my inner Moz said "MAKE CHEESE ENVELOPES. BARNEY LOVES CHEESE." So I did, and it works fine, Havarti Envelopes. :D He obviously can't be full-time veggie and I'm not going to deny him pieces of steak that another woman is offering from her plate that might go to waste anyway (I took him to dinner yesterday and this table of Mexican women were talking Spanish to him and feeding him steak while petting him. :p), but I can make little choices not to support the industry. I'm rambling. :p

Definitely, extreme activism does tend to turn a lot of people off. (It worked for me, though, so maybe I'm just more susceptible to passionate influence ha) I think it's also hard for the people that want that immediate change as well. It seems to be a balancing act in a variety of situations. Whether it's race, gender roles, or our diets.

I think humans have evolved well enough that a strict herbivore diet is an entirely healthy and legitimate option. Domesticated animals, on the other hand, don't handle it too well because their bodies are just different. It's totally okay for your dog to eat those pieces of steak and I wouldn't ever worry yourself over that. I'd never force a cat or dog to eat only a vegetarian diet. I mean, cats are cold blooded killers and crave the flesh of the living, and I won't take that option away from any feline. Though, my parents have an indoor cat, so luckily there's no dead birds or woodland creatures delivered to their feet every morning. :)

I think there's more "ethical" dog and cat foods out there, but I don't know much about them. I should probably look into that.

As far as I can see the only issue here is labelling, and trade descriptions - people buying and eating things they thought they were not getting.

Related: "Are You Eating What You Think You’re Eating?
Steve Palumbi’s molecular forensics exposes the seedy side of seafood." http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...on_molecular_forensics_of_whale_meat_and.html

Not sure how much it matters if food is mislabeled and you can't tell the difference. But I do like to know what I'm eating. Don't wanna find out I ate dog meat however much President Obama likes it.

If you are going to eat dead flesh, so what if it tastes good to you?

Why would people eat things that don't taste good?

Related: "Are You Eating What You Think You’re Eating?
Steve Palumbi’s molecular forensics exposes the seedy side of seafood." http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...on_molecular_forensics_of_whale_meat_and.html

Not sure how much it matters if food is mislabeled and you can't tell the difference. But I do like to know what I'm eating. Don't wanna find out I ate dog meat however much President Obama likes it.

Why would people eat things that don't taste good?

Do you honestly think that those vegans eating wheat grass and soy burgers so 'cause those things taste good? I have barely stomached both. Yuck.

Do you honestly think that those vegans eating wheat grass and soy burgers so 'cause those things taste good? I have barely stomached both. Yuck.

I dunno, I used to snack on Boca burgers on English muffins and they were "ok". I don't eat those anymore, though, so there ya go.

But last week I made hard-shelled tacos - twice - using Morningstar "crumbles" instead of ground beef, and they were delicious. It didn't look promising when I was preparing the fake meat, but it worked. (Compliments to the chef moreso than to Morningstar, but it's not as bad a product as I feared.)

I did that because I figured it would be quicker and easier to make the tacos. Nevertheless, I can say I'll never make a non-vegetarian taco again, and have thus done my fair share for 2013 in undermining the meat industry. I may not be perfect, but at least I'm not like those scumbags who still make beef tacos. Get with the times, people.

Did the dude who wrote Fast Food Nation ever look into the McRib?

I dunno, I used to snack on Boca burgers on English muffins and they were "ok". I don't eat those anymore, though, so there ya go.

But last week I made hard-shelled tacos - twice - using Morningstar "crumbles" instead of ground beef, and they were delicious. It didn't look promising when I was preparing the fake meat, but it worked. (Compliments to the chef moreso than to Morningstar, but it's not as bad a product as I feared.)

I did that because I figured it would be quicker and easier to make the tacos. Nevertheless, I can say I'll never make a non-vegetarian taco again, and have thus done my fair share for 2013 in undermining the meat industry. I may not be perfect, but at least I'm not like those scumbags who still make beef tacos. Get with the times, people.

Did the dude who wrote Fast Food Nation ever look into the McRib?

And you didn't have add tons of toppings to make them palatable? Maybe things have improved in the processed vegan food world.

I don't recall Schlosser addressing this product in particular. I do know, however, a lot of controversy surrounds it... from ingredients used to health issues to processing conditions.

g1358381470665734624.jpg

It's my understanding that culturally, with some exceptions (France and others) the western tradition is that it is not good "juju" or whatever to eat a beast of burden. The animal has suffered enough during it's lifetime carrying people on it's back, you're not supposed to then turn around and eat them. It's like a kosher thing, you don't make chicken omelettes, you don't eat the thing that carried you to dinner. You kill it and process it as dog food, I suppose. :rolleyes: There's a lot of logical gaps in the horse meat debate. We shouldn't be eating souls period.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. We eat cattle, which is the standard beast of burden, and I can't say I have ever heard anyone advance that logic until I read your post just now.

Brits don't traditionally east horse, but throughout the rest of Europe it's perfectly normal. In France you'll find special horse charcuterie shops. In Vienna, there are horsemeat fast food stands along thoroughfares. Don't like it much myself (too sweetish), but it's not as if there's a problem with it per se that wouldn't equally apply to any other kind of meat.

Surely this is an issue about cheap food.
The question is not whether or not we should be eating horse.
The issue is that we should be told what is in our food.
If i want to eat horse then what I buy should have a horse on packet.

Back
Top Bottom