Discussion of new songs aired today on 6 Music Live

There's also a mans spoken voice repeating some of the lines. It didn't sound deep enough to me to be Morrissey's. We'll have a better idea when we here the studio version. Can't wait.
How much different could it be?

Absolutely loved the new songs. All the young people is wonderful, I'm very happy with this new album. :love:

"Brexit" wouldn't make sense in the song. The song seems quite literally to be about a singer who only feels comfortable performing, as her life has gone to shit having lost her lover. "No audience telling her what to do" - at the end of the song, that audience is headed toward the exit. It doesn't have anything to do with Brexit.

I'm with you on that one, but not everybody apparently. Do people think occassionally?

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/artic...-songs-one-of-which-mentions-brexit-obviously

"The tracks are pretty much what you'd expect (read: somehow jaunty and morose) and to his credit, he's still in fine voice. Some of the lyrical content, however, is... questionable. "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On the Stage," for example, contains the repeated phrasing "Brexit... exit" which is, let's say, not exactly inspired."

"Brexit" wouldn't make sense in the song. The song seems quite literally to be about a singer who only feels comfortable performing, as her life has gone to shit having lost her lover. "No audience telling her what to do" - at the end of the song, that audience is headed toward the exit. It doesn't have anything to do with Brexit.

I agree with your interpretation. Maybe because this song reminded me a woman who was in that situation. Each person completes the song with personal experiences and feelings. Great song.

How much different could it be?

Well it will be crystal clear for a start. Plus I assum it's not always possible to replicate exactly what they've done in the studio live. Layering of instruments, sound effects. Which is what I was referring too with the spoken voice in the background.

My thoughts, for what they’re worth…

All The Young People- Good rhythm, reminds me of Lennon’s Give Peace A Chance of all things. As someone on the other thread said, can’t imagine Jools Holland resisting that piano. “Presidents come…” line a little clunky, but overall upbeat and likeable.

Home Is A ?- Sleigh bells are distracting and doesn’t stand out. Remains, pardon the pun, a question mark.

I Wish You Lonely- Can only think Moz had a load of leftover lyrics on all the usual subjects that he’s cobbled together here, the screaming guitar is good at least.

Jacky’s Only Happy… Standard Boz rocker, though horn section in the middle is a nice touch. Thinking of Moz as Jacky is the only thing that makes it interesting.

When You Open Your Legs- Was sceptical of this one (that title?!) but won me over by the end. Love the horns and strings.

Overall All The Young People and When You Open… are the standouts for me, seems like the Spanish influences are less obvious (no flamenco guitar) in favour of incorporating horns, strings, piano etc. in the general ‘Morrissey sound’. Look forward to the studio versions.

Who talked about a car crash?

The new songs are severly under the par or crap to sum it up! Only to be played on Ukip summer universities...
Only 2 are acceptable:
"Spend the day is better" on stage than in studio.
"When you open your legs" is the best and only good new song .

I might not buy the CD if the rest is like "I wish you lonely" or" home is a question mark" ..
Unacceptable for Moz .Too much reading and listening to the Le Pen family for him instead of working...

We've really lost our boy

French Barone

"When you open your legs" is the best of the bunch, in my opinion.

I loved "Back on the Chain Gang" the best. Sadly, it won't be on the album, but here's hoping against hope that it will become a regular feature on tour setlists, as "Judy is a Punk" was previously.

lets get this out of the way, the band is getting worse. never thought it possible but yesterdays 'performance' leaves no room for doubt. For a minute I though they were shanking hams not playing musical instruments.

the songs seem pedestrian no melody.

Guys, if we are being honest - these new songs aren’t that great compared to most Moz Discog
They felt rough, unmelodic and pieced together. The Spanish vibe and or Punk vibe don’t work. The only song that even remotely reminded me of what once was, is Home is a ? Most all the new lyrics weren’t relatable or heart moving or emotionally stirring in the least. I can’t believe I’m having to point out the obvious but Spent The Day in Bed is the best of the new songs unveiled so far. That’s not a good thing. We can pray the 4-5 other songs are exceptional but I wouldn’t set my hopes too high..

Home Is A Question Mark is my favourite of the 6 songs unveiled so far, by some distance.
All The Young People Must Fall In Love my least favourite, again, by some distance.

I think I wish you lonely is my least fav followed by Jackie. My list I. Order of preference is

Home is a question mark

Spent the day in bed

All the young people must fall in love

When you open your legs

Jackies only (always) happy when she's on the stage

I wish you lonely

I've only listened to All the Young People but I think it's a corker. Love the rhythm and the tinkling piano, and the general sentiment. Not sure when I last enjoyed Morrissey sung so much on first listen. Prob First of the Gang.

lets get this out of the way, the band is getting worse. never thought it possible but yesterdays 'performance' leaves no room for doubt. For a minute I though they were shanking hams not playing musical instruments.

The only one who I am impressed with is Matt Walker. The drums are good.

His new tracks are a mish mash of songs from old albums. It sounds like a best of album and like an artist performing bits and pieces from old songs before an audience who has seen and heard it all before.

A medley of songs that bored us shitless.

Back
Top Bottom