Dries Van Noten: "record curation by Jesse Tobias" (August 23, 2023)

Jesse_14Retouch.jpg

Jesse Tobias is a songwriter, guitarist, producer and music director that has been working in Los Angeles for the past 31 years. Hailing from Austin, Jesse moved to LA with his band Mother Tongue in 1992 and signed to Sony 550 records. Shortly after that he went on to play with The Red Hot Chili Peppers for a brief time. From there Jesse went on to play with Alanis Morrissette on her debut record’s Jagged Little Pill tour for the next few years. Jesse has worked as a music director and touring guitarist with such artists as Frente, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Jason Falkner, Twillight Singers and Gutter Twins.

Jesse served as producer and music director on the celebrated cult classic musical episode Once More, with Feeling of the television show Buffy The Vampire Slayer. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his work on the episode. Jesse also appeared on the show as a musical guest with his band Splendid several times. Jesse is currently the songwriter, guitarist and music director for Morrissey. Residing in Los Feliz California. He has co-written over 35 songs and played on 10 Morrissey studio records over the span of the last 20 years.

Songs chosen:

1 THE SUPREMES
Where Did Our Love Go

2 LINK WRAY
Link Wray

3 THE SOFT BOYS
Underwater Moonlight

4 THE GUN CLUB
Fire Of Love

5 DIZZY GILLESPIE
Afro

6 BRIAN ENO
Here Come The Warm Jets

7 THE CLEAN
Vehicle

8 MOONDOG
Moondog 2 (Extended Version - Remastered 2000)

9 LOU REED
Berlin

10 CASS MCCOMBS
Dropping The Writ

11 WIRE
Pink Flag (2006 Remastered Version)

12 TELEVISION
Adventure

13 LEO NOCENTELLI
Another Side

14 ARTHUR RUSSELL
Love is Overtaking Me

15 WAR
Why Can’t We Be Friends?

16 BAD BRAINS
Bad Brains

17 BUZZCOCKS
Love Bites

18 THE KINKS
Face to Face

19 JIMI HENDRIX
Electric Ladyland

20 CAROLE KING
Tapestry

8stitches9lives-24082023-0001.jpg

Bit of an oddity, but included as an insight to his musical taste.
Jesse chooses a playlist for a 'luxury' fashion brand.
What no Morrissey!?
Regards,
FWD.

Yeah (y)

Those early Eno solo albums are amazing!

Oh yeah, Eno is in a league of his own! The other musicians on that record were terrific as well. I'm pretty sure it was a sort of supergroup or something at the time (maybe?).

His work with Byrne was interesting too, but even though he might be more popular for those albums, it's his first few solo albums that really 'show you the man'. A terrific artist who has directly influenced every great artist to come after, even if they never realized it. With just how music technology evolved...Eno was at the forefront of that push. He's extraordinary, and music today certainly wouldn't be the same without him doing what he did forty years ago.

Jesse's fashion is Morrissey-influenced too, no doubt. Even the expression on his face is Morrissey-esque!
Its very obvious that there is nothing original about Jesse.

Too bad his guitar playing skills arent influenced by Johnny Marr, Alain Whyte, Boz and others!:rofl:

Lou Reed, the Kinks and Hendrix are sound choices but who picks Adventure over Marquee Moon? That's just wrong.

Mm na, that ostentatious ring, I don't like. I never liked JT, you're never going to see him laugh. On the other hand, Alain is nice and cute! Wide smile and cute
Like many others, I don't like him either.
I've seen him try to hit fans from stage... the guy is an A-Hole! Just look at that photo!
He looks like he has a big stick up his arse!
His stage presence is very cocky and he doesn't even have the guitar skills to be cocky.

I guess its understandable why hes a bit of a prick...
Its very obvious that fans would much rather have Alain onstage instead!

Alain is all around a great guy, guitarist, and song writer!
Hes a genuine soul and it comes out in his song writing, playing and stage presence!

Like many others, I don't like him either.
I've seen him try to hit fans from stage... the guy is an A-Hole! Just look at that photo!
He looks like he has a big stick up his arse!
His stage presence is very cocky and he doesn't even have the guitar skills to be cocky.

I guess its understandable why hes a bit of a prick...
Its very obvious that fans would much rather have Alain onstage instead!

Alain is all around a great guy, guitarist, and song writer!
Hes a genuine soul and it comes out in his song writing, playing and stage presence!
Its very obvious that there is nothing original about Jesse.

Too bad his guitar playing skills arent influenced by Johnny Marr, Alain Whyte, Boz and others!:rofl:
1692990612519.gif

H’art Songs is one my favorite Moondog albums, guess you can call it his ‘pop’ album of sorts ….

agreed.
also incredible how Moondog was able to reintegrate himself this late into his career, basically changing his musical style completely after moving to Germany. I love his music as a whole, but H'art Songs — with it's seemingly simple melodies and equally simple but sharp and dreamy lyrics impressed me greatly upon first few listens

Lou Reed, the Kinks and Hendrix are sound choices but who picks Adventure over Marquee Moon? That's just wrong.

that’s what I was thinking. Now I need to revisit Adventure, maybe I missed something.

But agree.. Marquee Moon is a classic (y)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom