Favourite TV Shows?

dazzak

I'm going to avoid the obvious ones that I love (The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy etc) and say The X-Files and Twin Peaks. Two of the most intelligent and knowing TV shows, I'm proud to say I've seen every episode of each at least five times (and am currently going through seasons one and two of the former again). The X-Files can make me laugh, cry and is much more intelligent than it's given credit for, while Twin Peaks is one of the most visually arresting TV shows ever. That's not to mention the endlessly exciting cliffhangers and amazingly complex surrealist thread running through it. I recently watched the first season again and was reminded how good TV can be. Sadly, nothing like Twin Peaks would get made nowadays. It's just far too intelligent and original. And, no, Lost isn't even in the same league as Twin Peaks because it is, at heart, a cynical attempt at being as odd and "quirky" as Twin Peaks.

Tween Peaks was great!

I used to really like ER at school, during doctor Dug Ross times!:D
From the more recent ones I liked 6 feet under.

monk7st.jpg

shield10dk.jpg

Sister said:
Tween Peaks was great!

I used to really like ER at school, during doctor Dug Ross times!:D
From the more recent ones I liked 6 feet under.
Six Feet Under was excellent for the first three seasons, but then it just completely lost it. It became a chore to watch. Still, that episode where David is kidnapped was one of the most gripping pieces of television I've ever seen.

The genius that is:

The League of Gentlemen
Black Books
Spaced

Beacons of light amidst the turgid dross that's usually churned out and labelled as "comedy"...

And of course Footballers wives gave me the invaluable inside into the true British culture!:p :p

wp_fw4_p1_1280.jpg

dazzak said:
Six Feet Under was excellent for the first three seasons, but then it just completely lost it. It became a chore to watch. Still, that episode where David is kidnapped was one of the most gripping pieces of television I've ever seen.
I didn't watch all seasons. I lost interest after I read there will be no happy end for Brenda and Nate.:(
First 2 seasons were the best!

I also remembered Daria on MTV (there were times, when I watched MTV! :p)

Last edited:
Sister said:
I didn't watch all seasons. I lost interest after I read there will be no happy end for Brenda and Nate.:(
First 2 seasons were the best!
They got back together, though. Again.

Twin Peaks would be my all time favorite..so many things went right for that show, including it not lasting long. lets face it, so many good shows start to suck because networks and studios try to sqeeze every penny out of them (xfiles). other favorites would be Buffy and Angel..always like vampire shows and movies so naturally i would like the best of the best.

Joss Whedon even mentionned how shows like buffy would never be made again...or at least not int he current climate of network tv. instead we get reality shows, or safe shows designed to appeal to the masses. now the WB and UPN are becoming one so they too well just care to create content that will appeal to as many people as possible. when you get that, all you get is watered down 'form' and dumbed down 'content'.

'Lost'...i watch 'lost' but it doesn't come close to a show liek Twin Peaks. Lost is so...simple in execution. and for f***'s sake, nothing ever progresses on the show. it should have been a one or two season mini series. Twin peaks never dragged their feet. even early when they had no idea how many seasons the show will last, every scene mattered and every scene progressed the show. 'Lost' is simply dragging their feet all season long. if you can;t think of more, then it's time to wrap the show.

There's still some hope in cable, but cable is slowly coming the way of Network tv...in many ways it's already there.

the place to find the future Twin Peaks or Buffy or whatever like that is on the Web...probably. sure once in awhile a network will green light a 'good' show when they want to showcase to critics and the academy. but that's rare, and the critics are dumb themselves. and those shows hardly pass one season these days.

dazzak said:
They got back together, though. Again.
No, I read the script of the last season (6?) on the official web site. They had a baby with Brenda, and Nate died at the end.:(

Puddle said:
Twin Peaks would be my all time favorite..so many things went right for that show, including it not lasting long. lets face it, so many good shows start to suck because networks and studios try to sqeeze every penny out of them (xfiles). other favorites would be Buffy and Angel..always like vampire shows and movies so naturally i would like the best of the best.

Joss Whedon even mentionned how shows like buffy would never be made again...or at least not int he current climate of network tv. instead we get reality shows, or safe shows designed to appeal to the masses. now the WB and UPN are becoming one so they too well just care to create content that will appeal to as many people as possible. when you get that, all you get is watered down 'form' and dumbed down 'content'.

'Lost'...i watch 'lost' but it doesn't come close to a show liek Twin Peaks. Lost is so...simple in execution. and for f***'s sake, nothing ever progresses on the show. it should have been a one or two season mini series. Twin peaks never dragged their feet. even early when they had no idea how many seasons the show will last, every scene mattered and every scene progressed the show. 'Lost' is simply dragging their feet all season long. if you can;t think of more, then it's time to wrap the show.

There's still some hope in cable, but cable is slowly coming the way of Network tv...in many ways it's already there.

the place to find the future Twin Peaks or Buffy or whatever like that is on the Web...probably. sure once in awhile a network will green light a 'good' show when they want to showcase to critics and the academy. but that's rare, and the critics are dumb themselves. and those shows hardly pass one season these days.
That's true. One of the reasons I love Twin Peaks so much is because it is never boring. With only eight episodes (including the pilot) in the first series, Lynch and Frost basically had no time for chaff. They did, however, have time to muck about in the second series.

I disagree about The X-Files, though. I don't think the last few seasons were done simply for the sake of money. Yes, they may have been badly executed, but a conclusion needed to be drawn and they kind of had to wait for Duchovny to come back (which was the real reason behind The X-Files going downhill so quickly).

And the reason I stopped watching Lost is because nothing f***ing happened. My friend says it got even worse in the second season, so any chance of me going back to it is gone. I mean, it seemed like they had some good ideas going on there, but there was so much unneccessarily dull time spent on expanding stuff that I really didn't care about.

at least i got a good idea for an avatar from this thread.

but yeah lost...all those back stories...it's because they couldn't think of episodes so they are stretching the show as much as possible. it's pathetic but i watch because i don't watch much tv and there's nothing else at that time to watch (i don't have cable, just basic tv)

*Anything by Chris Morris - especially the genius of "Jam"
*Alan Partridge
*Our Friends In The North
*Curb Your Enthusiasm

Alan Partridge
The Office
Smell of Reeves & Mortimer
Vic & Bob in Catterick
Time Gentlemen Please

Besides that, not much, just Football.

Sister said:
And of course Footballers wives gave me the invaluable inside into the true British culture!:p :p

wp_fw4_p1_1280.jpg
umm, i dont watch this show
but dats some serious chickage though
however, why the tanning?
i mean if there british, dont tan
please
thanks...

Well, it's been a relationship that ended too soon but I terribly loved 'My so-called life'.

Back
Top Bottom