Harvest ends contract with Morrissey - TTY

I think the ultimate blame for this fiasco lies somewhere in the middle: Morrissey made some errors, Harvest made some errors. That he was dropped so quickly is incredible. Clearly there is an imperative to hastily cut losses.

I don't see a collaboration with JM being the miracle cure here, certainly not soon. Johnny is releasing his new album in October and beginning another worldwide series of dates that will probably roll into next year. He also has stated he is working on his autobiography. I could see Morrissey trying to make a condition of their working together that he scrub the book, which I don't see happening. Fact is, Morrissey got his boot in on Johnny in his own book, no doubt muddying the water again. While Johnny is usually more pragmatic (or passive aggressive) in his statements about Morrissey, I'm sure he will have a thing or two to get off his chest. And fair cop, really.

Who purports that Moz breached the contract? How do you know Steve Barnett didn't breach? How do you know Steve Barnett didn't exercise a clause that permitted Harvest to cancel on the 2nd album?

Here's what I think. Steve Barnett is a fool. When you choose to do (none of your) business with an artist, it shouldn't be about the bottom line or your big shot ego, it should be about the fact that this artist is the best person in the world to associate with in any way. Hold on to your artist.

First off, if Harvest had violated the contract in any way whatsoever, you would have heard about it already as Morrissey loves to announce when he is taking legal action against anyone.

Second, if you think a major record label's priority is, or should be, keeping "artists" happy as opposed to making a profit and staying in business, then you're an idiot. Morrissey is an employee of the label...not the other way around. Like any employee, if he doesn't fulfill his obligations, he deserves to be fired.

Had he performed even the most basic promotional duties for this album, he wouldn't be in this situation right now.

first off, if harvest had violated the contract in any way whatsoever, you would have heard about it already as morrissey loves to announce when he is taking legal action against anyone.

Second, if you think a major record label's priority is, or should be, keeping "artists" happy as opposed to making a profit and staying in business, then you're an idiot. Morrissey is an employee of the label...not the other way around. Like any employee, if he doesn't fulfill his obligations, he deserves to be fired.

Had he performed even the most basic promotional duties for this album, he wouldn't be in this situation right now.

this.

Interesting theory. Like I said I don't know that much about how the record business works these days, but that makes sense to me.

No theory to it. I can tell you it's a fact from someone who knows. I'm glad that someone finally brought up the fact that he is effectively f***ing the members of the band out of a paycheck.

His guarantee is about 40,000 for a mid sized market, not sure for higher and lower. My guess for lower is 30,000 and higher maybe 75,000. Staples type shows a bit more of course. Now let's all just guess after production costs and all that he takes 85% of what's left. Boz takes 5% and the rest of the band split the remaining 10%? I'd assume the band has to kick in for production and tour manager etc costs. Now just for kicks work out how much each member of the band lost just on the last string of cancelled shows in the US.

The split from Harvest is not surprising. While I can't say everything I know, I can say that this entire thing has been one big joke. From the minute he delivered the album it has been a fight with the label. Everything they do is wrong in his eyes.

In other news, this record has one strong single on it. One. Staircase is the only one that should have been released. The label was f***ed from day one with this batch of songs. Moz may as well have given them King Leer and He Cried to work as singles. Bullfighter? Jesus that will never get played on the radio even in today's indie friendly climate.

Weak album
Tour cancellation
Kristeen Young high school nonsense
Security guard drama

He is sabotaging himself around every turn. Labels and promoters no longer want to work with him. Believe me. He is his own worst enemy. Depressing.

Breachin' is for whales.

Because I am correct. This is his worst--way worse than Kill Uncle and even Ringleader and Quarry.

So critical! Most albums are NOT the White Album. There are usually two or three good songs on any given album. Kill Uncle and others had some gems.

Am I the only one who believes its Morrissey's career to do what he pleases?

Am I the only one who doesn't think being dropped from Harvests is a big deal?

Am I the only one who believes The Smiths will never and should never reform?

Am I the only one who is glad that Morriseey is not mainstream?

Am I the only one who has been blasting the new album for a few weeks?

Given his 'dfifficult' history, I am not suprised that Morrissey has been dropped. However, what does seem suprising is the speed.

OK, so Harvest may be dissapointed with sales, and decide that it's not worth spending any more money on promoting the album, making promo videos etc - but given that it's only three weeks in, why the dramatic step of dropping Morrissey NOW instead of quietly closing down the promo funding and seeing how the album sells long term?

I wonder if they signed Morrissey to a 360 deal, where the record label helps provide the artist with funds for touring, promotion etc in return for getting a percentage of tour profits? A couplew of years ago in an interview Morrissey had complained previously that the only deals people were offering him thesedays were 360 ones - so I wonder if he finally buckled and took one with Harvest. Have they looked at the costs of funding his European tour, looked at his track record of cancellations and bad health, and however much they lost on the cancelled US tour, and decided - f*** it, it's just not worth the financial risk? Pure speculation - but it seems a bit strange that within days of Morrissey talking about a European tour being planned, Harvest decides to drop him like a hot potato. Clearly - keeping him on the books must be costing them some kind of money which they feel they cannot recoup.

Am I the only one who believes Staircase was one of the most boring songs on the album?
The only thing I hear going for it is the instrumentals. His vocal delivery and lyrics is boring.

Istanbul, The Bullfighter Dies, and Earth Is The Loneliest Planet we're decent singles to release.
World Peace Is None Of Your Business was not a good choice to release first.

...But you could have said no if you'd wanted to,
you could have walked away, couldn't you?...

Well, he did. Bravo.

By the way, if he wanted to do something with Johnny (just in case) they should get themselves a different name. Any ideas?

No theory to it. I can tell you it's a fact from someone who knows. I'm glad that someone finally brought up the fact that he is effectively f***ing the members of the band out of a paycheck.

His guarantee is about 40,000 for a mid sized market, not sure for higher and lower. My guess for lower is 30,000 and higher maybe 75,000. Staples type shows a bit more of course. Now let's all just guess after production costs and all that he takes 85% of what's left. Boz takes 5% and the rest of the band split the remaining 10%? I'd assume the band has to kick in for production and tour manager etc costs. Now just for kicks work out how much each member of the band lost just on the last string of cancelled shows in the US.

The split from Harvest is not surprising. While I can't say everything I know, I can say that this entire thing has been one big joke. From the minute he delivered the album it has been a fight with the label. Everything they do is wrong in his eyes.

In other news, this record has one strong single on it. One. Staircase is the only one that should have been released. The label was f***ed from day one with this batch of songs. Moz may as well have given them King Leer and He Cried to work as singles. Bullfighter? Jesus that will never get played on the radio even in today's indie friendly climate.

Weak album
Tour cancellation
Security guard drama

He is sabotaging himself around every turn. Labels and promoters no longer want to work with him. Believe me. He is his own worst enemy. Depressing.

You don't know shit...

Am I the only one who believes its Morrissey's career to do what he pleases?

Am I the only one who doesn't think being dropped from Harvests is a big deal?

Am I the only one who believes The Smiths will never and should never reform?

Am I the only one who is glad that Morriseey is not mainstream?

Am I the only one who has been blasting the new album for a few weeks?

You're not the only one. There is actually two of us.

Weak album
Tour cancellation
Security guard drama

Yep, couldn't agree more.

Time to wake up and smell the crappuccino, Moz.

Weak album
Tour cancellation
Security guard drama

I hope the doctors can help you

You're not the only one. There is actually two of us.

And me. I never play new albums more than 2 or 3 times in full, then they take their place in the iTunes database. I was amazed to find that I have played this 20 times in full since getting it. I never tire of it. I think it's just wonderful and unlike anything Moz has done before.

So, as it's his life, he is free to do whatever he likes and I will support him in that.

Tags
harvestrecords morrissey moz no album viva hate
Back
Top Bottom