Jacqueline Morrissey statement re: England Is Mine (via SER) - "OFFENSIVE misrepresentation"

Sam Esty Rayner Photography / Facebook:

"Mark Gill's England is Mine is a lie.

This is not our family or how we lived.

It is an OFFENSIVE misrepresentation.

He has made a shambles of a glorious opportunity."

-Jacqueline Morrissey
September 5, 2017.

40675_jaqueline_morrissey_statement.png

Closing the stable door...
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
They made a movie based on what morrissey himself said in print and from close associates cause that's the best they had

Where did Morrissey say in print that his sister believed he should be working, earning a wage and being like everyone else. Where did Morrissey say that his sister thought that his introverted attitude was a massive annoyance and a hindrance to the family? Because that one review states that Jackie is portraid like that in the movie.

A bit contrived to suit the extreme view that everything he does is for money. Given the body of work he has produced over 30+ years, and the extent to which others borrow from it, I think he's entitled to monetise it as best he can. And who knows what he does with that money - it's his business. For all we know he may channel it to causes that he espouses.

I tend also to agree that he can see a cinematic option in the future that he can control to some extent, and profit from. It therefore suits his agenda to have this film made and to have it monstered.

But - it's an absurd stretch to say that his recent work, and the increasingly political tone springs from a cash grab. "It's about the money and it always has been" - really? Even back in the 80s?

And of course - if he wanted to cash in, he'd pick up the phone to Marr, which I believe.....Mr Skinny has been predicting for about 10 years.

'And of course - if he wanted to cash in, he'd pick up the phone to Marr, which I believe.....Mr Skinny has been predicting for about 10 years.'

:thumb:

An understandable sentiment but odd timing. Why now?
Also, it looks like the words were written by Steve.
If genuine, is this Jacqueline's first ever public proclamation in relation to his celebrity?

hows that? The words 'glorious opportunity' if one really reaches in trying to see him in this statement seems like a choice of wording he may use, then again anyone can.

And what would he benefit from either asking her to make this statement or make the statement and put her name on it? A little odd.

Obviously, I should know this as I am Sam...
But, has she divorced?
Dropping the Rayner just for this post would be a bit odd.
Regards,
FWD.

biopics very seldom work,the person the film is about usually isn't happy with the final product as they had no hand at the writing stage and so the life story is not the life story that actually happened.on the plus side every review carries a photo of Morrissey and a description of his life which can create new fans who will buy into his music.

This is true. Imagine if the people that know you the best wrote a few pages about your life exactly as they believe it to be, I think very few people would agree or be happy. And imagine if they found someone to pretend to be you and act out things they believe occurred in your life.
Of course it's not a documentary. And even those have to be edited. I don't think it's too surprising that people that were actually there find the film inaccurate.
It seems from the interview with the director that he had good intentions and wasn't trying to destroy Morrissey, and he admits some of it is "based on a true story." People should either watch it or not but it's nothing to get too upset about.

Wow. Very interesting!! Have we EVER heard from Jacqueline?? It seems that M and family werent even contacted on this project. I suspect if they were the director would comment that he tried. Curious to know the whole story (like we ever will:rolleyes:) but am waiting for M to speak out ;)

I attended a Q & A with Mark Gill in New York, and Mark addressed the topic of contacting Johnny & Morrissey about the film. Mark says that out of respect, every step of the way (pre-production, writing, shooting, etc.), his team contacted Morrissey about the film (I presume that the purpose of contacting Morrissey was to get a blessing, or to receive his input about the project). Mark says they none of his attempts to contact Morrissey though the appropriate channels were answered. Mark did, however, run into Johnny at an event in Manchester, and received encouraging words from him about the project.

Wow. Very interesting!! Have we EVER heard from Jacqueline?? It seems that M and family werent even contacted on this project. I suspect if they were the director would comment that he tried. Curious to know the whole story (like we ever will:rolleyes:) but am waiting for M to speak out ;)

You are completely wrong.

"Gill contacted Morrissey at various stages throughout the film-making process but as yet without reply." - https://www.bigissue.com/culture/i-dont-care-morrissey-doesnt-like-film/

The idea that the movie would have necessarily been more accurate if they had more input from Morrissey, Jacqueline, James Maker, etc. is laughable. One of the things that upset James about the film (apart from the fact that he was not in it!) was that M was portrayed with "curly hair and a natural crimp." Pictures from the period show M with long hair at various times, and the actor's hair in the movie is essentially the same. People remember the past they way they want to.

I attended a Q & A with Mark Gill in New York, and Mark addressed the topic of contacting Johnny & Morrissey about the film. Mark says that out of respect, every step of the way (pre-production, writing, shooting, etc.), his team contacted Morrissey about the film (I presume that the purpose of contacting Morrissey was to get a blessing, or to receive his input about the project). Mark says they none of his attempts to contact Morrissey though the appropriate channels were answered. Mark did, however, run into Johnny at an event in Manchester, and received encouraging words from him about the project.

'Mark says they none of his attempts to contact Morrissey though the appropriate channels were answered.'

didn't know M had 'appropriate channels' ? when did he get them? breaking news, if you ask me.

Fully vouch for this statement. I attended the NYC premiere and was present for the Q&A with the producers and writer of the film, and additionally one of the film distributors.

The writer in his own words:

"I grew up in Manchester about half a mile from where M lived...though he is about 12 years older than me. This film is unquestionably a love letter to M, as well as a film about growing up in Manchester."

He stated he was of course a huge fan, and reached out often to M, his management, and received exactly no response. As to be expected, this was disappointing because he wanted to get the story correct. Billy Duffy consulted to some extent.

Like all devoted Smiths fans, I was enthralled with what was presented, and it was emotionally moving for the majority of the crowd in attendance. Upon meeting Mr. Andy Rourke who was in attendance, I offer to M and all of the Smiths the exact same statement:

Thank you for having a positive and profound effect on my life. You mattered and continue to matter. Thank you for creating such great music.

The filmmakers have stated that they reached out to Morrissey more than once in preparation for the film and received no answer. Is it too much to say that Morrissey is partly to blame for inaccuracies or wrong portrayals in the movie? Although knowing him, I think it would have been hard for the filmmakers to retain creative control along with having input from M. I can either imagine a list of demands about how everything in the film should be done, or (what happened in reality) no response or input from M. It is hard to think of him just giving some suggestions or clarifications.

Uncleskinny called this one a while back and got it spot on. It's all about the money and the Swiss bank account.
Steve isn't earning any dollar from the film so something had to be done about it.
Rather than torch the film on the day of its release and also about to embark on the process of relaunching another attempt at being a relevant successful pop performer/legend bigger than Bono/Madge/Sheeran he decided to sit back and let the film promote his performing product and name around the showbiz media. Think of all that free publicity :ahhh: win, win, win.
Now then ! Steve would have known that me and BB would have shown no mercy and absolutely slaughtered him in front of all the bots if he'd started throwing his toys out the pram with his crass embarrassing twoddle statements concerning the film and he also knew that he couldn't trust that dildo nephew of his after that last 4ck up he orchestrated in Rome :rolleyes:. Steve controls everything and needed a new spokesman for the "look at me I'm still a relevant pop performer" P R machine so has turned to big sis to pour the scorn.
That's all there is to it. Nothing more, nothing less. The P R machine has been fired up. From now until November only God knows what will come out to grab attention ! "I WAS DATE RAPED BY HELLS ANGEL NUNS HIGH ON HOLY CRACK BREAD AND WINE " claims former lead singer of the Smiths.
As I said before ! Get ready for the ride folks the louder you scream the faster we go.

#Switzerland is mine
#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRAffaele
#Hi skool musical

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

As soon as I read that Morrissey had stated that he had not been consulted about this film, I decided that I would avoid it. Sorry for the hurt it is causing him and his family. Already articles appear in the press as if M has just said something when in fact it's referring to this film and about something that happened decades ago... Bad timing for him with a long-term awaited new albumn.

As soon as I read that Morrissey had stated that he had not been consulted about this film, I decided that I would avoid it. Sorry for the hurt it is causing him and his family. Already articles appear in the press as if M has just said something when in fact it's referring to this film and about something that happened decades ago... Bad timing for him with a long-term awaited new albumn.

Do you not have a mind of your own? Do you wait for a denunciation before deciding which side of the fence you sit on?

Christ.

Well then you're a brain-dead f***nugget.
You're rude and offensive. I think I've been proved right by the fact his sister has seen fit to comment in this way. Never seen that before. I read his beautifully written autobiography and that's the version of his life that I choose to keep in my mind. Each to their own. Live and let live.

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom