Johnny vs Alain

D

dazzak

I've been thinking about this recently cause I've been trying to learn some of each. Marr put everything he had into his music. Each B-side was crafted as well as it's respective A-side. The music has such overwhelming emotion. They are so bloody intricate I sometimes hate Marr. Whereas Alain has always seemed slightly less, dare I say, intelligent. I truly believe that on Marr's worst day he could write a better song than Alain on his best. I'm not saying I don't like Alain. He has written some of my favourites songs of all time. It's just that, to use my obligatory Moz reference, he could never hold a candle to Marr. So I fully welcome Jesse as hopefully a breath of fresh air. I can only hope he's a musical genius (I doubt it though).

> I've been thinking about this recently cause I've been trying to learn
> some of each. Marr put everything he had into his music. Each B-side was
> crafted as well as it's respective A-side. The music has such overwhelming
> emotion. They are so bloody intricate I sometimes hate Marr. Whereas Alain
> has always seemed slightly less, dare I say, intelligent. I truly believe
> that on Marr's worst day he could write a better song than Alain on his
> best. I'm not saying I don't like Alain. He has written some of my
> favourites songs of all time. It's just that, to use my obligatory Moz
> reference, he could never hold a candle to Marr. So I fully welcome Jesse
> as hopefully a breath of fresh air. I can only hope he's a musical genius
> (I doubt it though).

Have you ever met Mr. Whyte? Cause speaking from experiance, he is quite intelligent and quite talented. He has been in many more bands than Marr and been more successful. Not to knock Mr. Marr, because he is a great guitarist as well. I'm just telling you how it is.

Clearly you're correct. Marr is better than Whyte. And let's not forget that most of the best Whyte compositions had the benefit of top producers like Mick Ronson and Steve Lillywhite.

But production and songwriting are one thing. Record sales and visibility are one thing. For me, the easiest way to tell the difference is to listen to them play live. Johnny plays brilliantly. Whyte does not. I'm not a guitar player, so perhaps they play in different styles. Maybe Marr's style is deliberately more intricate while Whyte's is broader. But I don't think so. You can tell the difference right away.

For me the question is not, "Is Marr better than Whyte or Boorer" or the others, it's how *much* better? Because to argue that Alain Whyte is not as gifted as the greatest guitar player of the last twenty years-- Marr-- is nothing to weep about. Alain Whyte is a good player, and it seems as if he knows how to write some good songs, as well. He's just not exceptionally great, as Marr is. In that sense Whyte is just like every other guitarist-- they don't measure up. Doesn't mean he hasn't recorded some beautiful songs with Morrissey.

> I've been thinking about this recently cause I've been trying to learn
> some of each. Marr put everything he had into his music. Each B-side was
> crafted as well as it's respective A-side. The music has such overwhelming
> emotion. They are so bloody intricate I sometimes hate Marr. Whereas Alain
> has always seemed slightly less, dare I say, intelligent. I truly believe
> that on Marr's worst day he could write a better song than Alain on his
> best. I'm not saying I don't like Alain. He has written some of my
> favourites songs of all time. It's just that, to use my obligatory Moz
> reference, he could never hold a candle to Marr. So I fully welcome Jesse
> as hopefully a breath of fresh air. I can only hope he's a musical genius
> (I doubt it though).
johnny for deffinate!!