Morrissey interview (recorded Mar. 19) to be broadcast on Mexican radio station Reactor 105 Mar. 20

Re: Morrissey March 19th interview to be broadcast in Mexican radio station March 20t

9a286d6490d311e2a59b22000a9f3c66_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/XDXHTOOF_h/

Re: Article: Morrissey interview (recorded Mar. 19) to be broadcast on Mexican radio

Jesse has written the same repetitive, plodding 3-chord songs over and over for 7 years. He is about as original and creative as Green Day. If that basic assertion equates to me 'hounding' him, then yeah, I think he's useless. I could continue but I think you get the idea by now. Alain Whyte could run rings around him, and so could Boz - in fact I'm hard-pressed to think of any member of Morrissey's backing band who couldn't.

As for hiring session musicians - I haven't done it, no, but I've got ears and so has Morrissey. The mere insinuation that he could listen to Alain's material and think Jesse's drivel was in the same league is beyond belief.

well we are never going to agree but thanks for putting views out there.your view.

Hazard

Re: Article: Morrissey interview (recorded Mar. 19) to be broadcast on Mexican radio

And that is exactly why he is not even trying anymore, re-issuing in an endless cycle in the absence of any serious new material. He knows that whether he crafts beautiful lyrics or writes moon/June/spoon to a 3-chord backing track, it will sell anyway at this stage in the game because nostalgic stalwarts will buy any old shit as long as his name is attached. I laughed out loud at you calling him 'a beautiful, delicate soul'. He viciously attacks anything and everything, he's pretty much built a career out of being as nasty and 'controversial' as possible, and yet we need to stop 'viciously attacking' him? :rolleyes:

Does anyone have a link to this moon/June/spoon song?

Well, is Morrissey just purely in it for the money? It seems like it.

If he were in it purely for the money, he wouldn't stick with a pair of songwriters whose best efforts have so far only produced one serious offer from a record label. He just thinks he and his career are infallible.

Jesse has written the same repetitive, plodding 3-chord songs over and over for 7 years. He is about as original and creative as Green Day. If that basic assertion equates to me 'hounding' him, then yeah, I think he's useless. I could continue but I think you get the idea by now. Alain Whyte could run rings around him, and so could Boz - in fact I'm hard-pressed to think of any member of Morrissey's backing band who couldn't.

As for hiring session musicians - I haven't done it, no, but I've got ears and so has Morrissey. The mere insinuation that he could listen to Alain's material and think Jesse's drivel was in the same league is beyond belief.

I completely agree. Can't believe Jesse has been tolerated for this long.

The statement that 90% of people going to see Morrissey in concert do so just to see the former lead singer of the Smiths is absolutely ridiculous. First of all, you have no idea what motivates people to follow him; you only know your own reasons. There was a time when he barely played any Smiths material, yet people still followed him around the world. Additionally, there are many people who came on board after Morrissey began his solo career. As for those who have been loyal fans since the very beginning, while your devotion is admirable, some of you behave like the bratty, spoiled children of a broken home. You want mommy and daddy back together at any cost, even if it would make them both completely miserable. The Smiths are gone, Alain is gone, and yes, Morrissey could benefit from some new partnership, only because people get complacent and bored with the same company. He could work with some new writing partners while still maintaining his present line-up. It also seems a bit unfair to blame his current band for so-so lyrics, as if they are contributing any of the words. When Morrissey's lyrics are on target, he could recite them with absolutely no music and they would still be amazing. His album jackets read like poetry. As far as I am concerned, he could sing in front of a kazoo band or three fat guys farting in a bathtub and it would not matter. Morrissey's appeal is derived from his lyrics, vocals, beauty, and sensuality. The band is important, but not nearly as important as their leader. That being said, I do think that Morrissey is in a bit of a writing slump; he needs to heal himself physically, spiritually, and mentally so that he can get back to doing what he does best. A couple of mediocre songs do not define his career, and he should be revered for what he has already accomplished. Everyone said he was done and he proved them completely wrong when he released Quarry, which in my opinion, contains some of his greatest work. As for the declining record sales in recent years, most artists are selling far less than they previously did because people can so easily download (steal) the songs. Morrissey is a beautiful, delicate soul; if you want him back in top form, stop viciously attacking him all the time.

Very well put, I agree~

i hope he gets better soon!
i guess its easy to become out of touch as you become very famous - and a lot of the criticism of his comments lately reflect that. i think its a pitfall of fame that you begin to believe that you don't need to actually research the facts, that whatever you say is correct and it will be listened to (some of the stuff about the Queen falls into this category). he isn't the only famous person to have fallen prey to this. the utterances of many famous people come across as the uneducated ravings of lunatics. i think though that fans are quick to hold him to account both musically and in his comments because they, and he have held him above all this. but of course it turns out he has just the same failings as all the others who he has criticized in the past.

its very out of touch to say about his music that 'nothing has ever been dreadful, so why make drastic changes'. because of course he has produced quite a lot of dreadful material, both musically and lyrically. few would argue that kill uncle was indeed dreadful. most of his new songs are dreadful. in fact anything written by jessie tobais falls into the dreadful category.

so as someone pointed out - playing with strangers - there is a reason - to make good art/music again. i doubt this is possible with his current music writers. its all very familiar dull, tuneless material. the musics dull - his lyrics have been dull. he likes melody but people are the same everywhere is the most melody free song i have ever heard. he's got in a rut. so yes bring in the strangers. they dont have to be the ex-smiths. but there are professional song writers, numerous notable guitar players around who could inject some change and life into his work.

i cant believe he would say nothing is dreadful though. its very out of touch. who is telling him its good? maybe when you get older, you just dont know anymore? or when you get famous you just think ever turd you polish is good?

and i agree with others that this must play a part in why there is no record deal. i love morrissey but if i was a record executive - i would not release the poor batch of songs he has. i would probably sign him but not the band, sign him on condition he works with some more talented co-writers. i wonder if this has been suggested to him in record company meetings? i bet it would go down like a lead balloon. he would walk away muttering 'nothings ever been dreadful!'

has it?

Last edited:

i love morrissey but if i was a record executive - i would not release the poor batch of songs he has. i would probably sign him but not the band, sign him on condition he works with some more talented co-writers. i wonder if this has been suggested to him in record company meetings? i bet it would go down like a lead balloon. he would walk away muttering 'nothings ever been dreadful!'

has it?

Dunno if it's been suggested to him recently, but during his 1997-2004 recording hiatus, he said that record companies had insisted that, in order to get a contract, he'd have to work with different musicians. I seem to remember, bizarrely, that Radiohead were suggested as a backing band.

i hope he gets better soon!
i guess its easy to become out of touch as you become very famous - and a lot of the criticism of his comments lately reflect that. i think its a pitfall of fame that you begin to believe that you don't need to actually research the facts, that whatever you say is correct and it will be listened to (some of the stuff about the Queen falls into this category). he isn't the only famous person to have fallen prey to this. the utterances of many famous people come across as the uneducated ravings of lunatics. i think though that fans are quick to hold him to account both musically and in his comments because they, and he have held him above all this. but of course it turns out he has just the same failings as all the others who he has criticized in the past.

its very out of touch to say about his music that 'nothing has ever been dreadful, so why make drastic changes'. because of course he has produced quite a lot of dreadful material, both musically and lyrically. few would argue that kill uncle was indeed dreadful. most of his new songs are dreadful. in fact anything written by jessie tobais falls into the dreadful category.

so as someone pointed out - playing with strangers - there is a reason - to make good art/music again. i doubt this is possible with his current music writers. its all very familiar dull, tuneless material. the musics dull - his lyrics have been dull. he likes melody but people are the same everywhere is the most melody free song i have ever heard. he's got in a rut. so yes bring in the strangers. they dont have to be the ex-smiths. but there are professional song writers, numerous notable guitar players around who could inject some change and life into his work.

i cant believe he would say nothing is dreadful though. its very out of touch. who is telling him its good? maybe when you get older, you just dont know anymore? or when you get famous you just think ever turd you polish is good?

and i agree with others that this must play a part in why there is no record deal. i love morrissey but if i was a record executive - i would not release the poor batch of songs he has. i would probably sign him but not the band, sign him on condition he works with some more talented co-writers. i wonder if this has been suggested to him in record company meetings? i bet it would go down like a lead balloon. he would walk away muttering 'nothings ever been dreadful!'

has it?

Great post. "Dreadful" is an interesting choice of word and a very revealing comment about his attitude to his career. It seems to be saying, "Well, if it's not absolutely rip-your-ears-off God-awful then it must be alright, passable on some level, so why complain?". It's like he's stopped caring whether the songs are good so long as they aren't abysmal. Perhaps he has become comfortable accepting mediocrity because making 'drastic changes' is too much hassle and he wants safe, simple, reliable people to write safe, simple music with minimum fuss. It's strange. I think he has just lost his ambition.

Great post. "Dreadful" is an interesting choice of word and a very revealing comment about his attitude to his career. It seems to be saying, "Well, if it's not absolutely rip-your-ears-off God-awful then it must be alright, passable on some level, so why complain?". It's like he's stopped caring whether the songs are good so long as they aren't abysmal. Perhaps he has become comfortable accepting mediocrity because making 'drastic changes' is too much hassle and he wants safe, simple, reliable people to write safe, simple music with minimum fuss. It's strange. I think he has just lost his ambition.

yes, i think his ambition or lack thereof is an interesting topic. but then what does he have to achieve anymore? as he says he has already achieved so much, and on his own, so what ambition does he have? does he have the ambition to release one or two more great timeless albums? i doubt it because the material he has at the moment would not suggest that. and his general attitude of working with the bland safe people. to make something great would actually involve that giant leap into 'drastic changes' because i would seriously doubt any great art and especially rock albums are made in a safe environment. certainly the queen is dead was supposed to have been a time of turmoil (especially for johnny).

i have a feeling he would like to tour and release a few more bland uninspiring albums like the last two. (five?) keep his hand in there. i wonder if he actually doubts he can ever make another great album, so that's why he stays in the safe environment? does he fear it because he has made so many dreadful missteps as a solo artist, that a great album is just beyond him? or does he think what he's producing now is the bees knees? it would be interesting to really know. like how he produced a poll of his best work and put ringleader/years at the top - i felt more like that reeked of someone trying to convince himself, and hoping it was true.

the smiths legacy is intact - so what would his ambition be? the only pinnacle could be to go out with a last rush of 'classic' solo albums - and he probably does have that somewhere within him - but it's utterly impossible working with the co-writers he currently has. that's the reality. i suspect he would write better lyrics if he had someone who was more an artistic 'equal' writing with him. like lennon/mccartny used to compete and morrissey/marr to some degree. there's no competitive element when you have hack hired hands to work with. though he has never been one to push the envelope, instead often keeping it simple musically. i think vini reilly offered to write an album of more experimental material for a second solo album - but said it wouldn't be straight pop songs. but morrissey preferred to remain with stephen street where it was safe musically. what a lost opportunity that was!

the legacy of his solo career is pretty close to leaving behind more bad songs than good ones, and fewer great songs... a last couple of great albums could lift the ratio of good to bad - so that's an ambition.

maybe he has just lost his ambition after achieving many great things and quite a lot of dreadful things?

Jesse has written the same repetitive, plodding 3-chord songs over and over for 7 years. He is about as original and creative as Green Day.

What you are forgetting is Morrissey likes that shitty radio slick pop/punk sound, and has since he heard The Smoking Popes. It was semi there on Maladjusted. But once he hired Jerry Finn as a producer, he when full-on in that sound; even getting Alan and Boz to shift their songwriting styles to fit it. Every album since and including Quarry sounds like Green Day with Morrissey singing on top. I find it very sad. The Smiths and his early solo stuff (Street and later Whyte) was very innovative, hip, and ahead of the curve and now he only follows the 90s trend set by Green Day, Smoking Popes, and Blink 182. I wish more fans would call him out on this boring shit, but everyone here still laps it up like they owe him something.

Last edited:

I guess I'm in the minority in liking years of refusal and at least half of of ringleader?

I love them too. I adore all of Ringleaders and most of Years. Although Years does have a few only OK songs, "All You Need is Me" and especially "It's not your Birthday Anymore" are awesome tunes. I have been a ardent fan since the beginning of Moz's solo career, although I did of course go back and discover and love the Smiths, the 2000's material means a great deal to me as well. What about "Come Back to Camden", "I Have Forgiven Jesus", "Life is a Pigsty" and "Dear God Please Help Me"(Beautiful song)? :)

I will agree that Morrissey could benefit from mixing it up as far a song writing partners go. He still has the potential to WOW us....here's hoping!!:thumb:

I love them too. I adore all of Ringleaders and most of Years. Although Years does have a few only OK songs, "All You Need is Me" and especially "It's not your Birthday Anymore" are awesome tunes. I have been a ardent fan since the beginning of Moz's solo career, although I did of course go back and discover and love the Smiths, the 2000's material means a great deal to me as well. What about "Come Back to Camden", "I Have Forgiven Jesus", "Life is a Pigsty" and "Dear God Please Help Me"(Beautiful song)? :)

I will agree that Morrissey could benefit from mixing it up as far a song writing partners go. He still has the potential to WOW us....here's hoping!!:thumb:

I absolutely loved Years and "It's not Your Birthday Anymore" is brilliant!

I guess I'm in the minority in liking years of refusal and at least half of of ringleader?

No. And all you'd have to do is look at the commercial reviews of those two albums in places like the Guardian, Pitchfork Media, Rolling Stone, Blender, All Music Guide, etc. to see this. Of course, I don't considered such reviews to be indicative of an album's quality or even inherently helpful, but it does add perspective when all of the mainstream music press is less critical of Morrissey's output than the people at this site.

The problem is that from the time he was with the Smiths until the release of Bona Drag Morrissey's output was consistently brilliant. And even though he broke that streak with Kill Uncle he was able to get back on track with Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I.

I think people truly believed he would release large swaths of earth shattering material forever and nobody is capable of that. Southpaw Grammar, You Are the Quarry, Ringleaders of the Tormenters, and Years of Refusal* have all been very good, very solid contemporary alternative rock albums. And wit the exception of Southpaw their reviews reflect that even if their sales don't. They're good to great albums, but they're not classic albums like the Queen is Dead or Viva Hate. And because people compare them to the Queen is Dead and not say whatever else is being played on alternative or modern rock stations today they mistake them for being terrible.

Years of Refusal also suffers from the fact that I don't think there are any great songs on it either. It's one of Morrissey's most solid albums and there are no bad songs on it, but even Kill Uncle had "Sing Your Life" and Maladjusted had the title track and "Trouble Loves Me." At their best, Morrissey two worst are both better than Years of Refusal at its best. However, at their worst they are lightyears worse than anything on Years of Refusal.

I think that might explain the weirdness here. That and his current crop of songs is truly mediocre and some people here are just pathologically bitter.

*I am aware that Maladjusted is absent from this list.

Wow has it been 7 years! Anthony Kiedis & Flea had the good sense to give Jesse his walking papers only one month after they hired him to be the lead guitarist for The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Just throwing this out there, but has anyone considered that maybe all Morrissey wants to do now is tour? Maybe on some level he doesn't actually want to release new music. He's said he lives to tour and there's nothing better in his world, maybe this is how he wants it to be? I just saw a whole lot of people on this tour willing to pay good money over and over again to play his existing catalog...

What you are forgetting is Morrissey likes that shitty radio slick pop/punk sound, and has since he heard The Smoking Popes. It was semi there on Maladjusted. But once he hired Jerry Finn as a producer, he when full-on in that sound; even getting Alan and Boz to shift their songwriting styles to fit it. Every album since and including Quarry sounds like Green Day with Morrissey singing on top. I find it very sad. The Smiths and his early solo stuff (Street and later Whyte) was very innovative, hip, and ahead of the curve and now he only follows the 90s trend set by Green Day, Smoking Popes, and Blink 182. I wish more fans would call him out on this boring shit, but everyone here still laps it up like they owe him something.

I don'tsome of the B-sides; post-Quarry and one or two album tracks have had a restrained elegance but I tend to agree he was (as Morrissey goes) quite musically experimental in the early days of his solo career.

I do find his last batch of "new" songs (Janice Long session) completely and utterly boring which is probably the worst criticism one can level at Morrissey's music

Just throwing this out there, but has anyone considered that maybe all Morrissey wants to do now is tour? Maybe on some level he doesn't actually want to release new music. He's said he lives to tour and there's nothing better in his world, maybe this is how he wants it to be? I just saw a whole lot of people on this tour willing to pay good money over and over again to play his existing catalog...

Well if I may "just throw something out there" as you put it.
Does anybody give a f*** really ? Its over and by the comments on here it sounds like the penny has finally dropped with the Morrissey youth. He's not a genious or a music leg-end. He lives to tour my arse! He lives to tour for CASH on the nail.
And you cannot tour if your un-insurable and you cannot tour-whore with the same old shit-butchered songs churned out like sausages by Boz/Tobias and co family butchers.
To put it simply Morrissey has ruined himself and his legacy by being a full-on bell-end.

Jim Royal

Oh and Hi Steven M on your sick-bed reading these comments (He comes hear no danger)

He did say in this very interview that the new songs "will be recorded in a studio" someday, which is certainly the most optimistic I've yet heard him regarding the potential for releasing a new studio disc..

Back
Top Bottom