Morrissey Live At Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1988 - soundboard bootleg LP / download

Just downloaded, it's definitely a soundboard recording - it's too good. Many thanks for the link.

Re: Article: Morrissey Live At Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1988 - soundboard bootleg LP

Hearing the Smiths minus Johnny playing Morrissey solo songs they sound very tight and light of touch.

Morrissey/Alain went for a heavier poppier sound....I don't mind its all good.

Re: Morrissey-Live-Wolverhampton-Civic-Hall-1988-New-LP

The post was promoted to the main page as an article with some added details, check the front page.

Thank you David. Thank you to the uploader as well.

Re: Article: Morrissey Live At Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1988 - soundboard bootleg LP

The sound quality may be great but the quality of Morrissey's voice and the band is awful. Stop me is atrocious. The guitar is almost non existent. Moz is so off key it's embarrassing. Drug is almost unlistenable. Suedehead is all over the place. Sister is the only track that sounds like they know what they are doing. I'm sure the fact that Moz was carrying on after the smiths was enough to have a good night but if anyone of us had paid to see this now we'd demand our cash back. Thank you for uploading this so I can now stop lamenting it's release. That's the trouble with the internet. Your imagination for nostalgia is redundant. Everything must go.

- marred.

Hearing the Smiths minus Johnny playing Morrissey solo songs they sound very tight and light of touch.

Morrissey/Alain went for a heavier poppier sound....I don't mind its all good.

I think you have a different definition of "very tight." There is a lot of energy in the songs, yes, but every song has at least one mistake in it. I bet Morrissey was a little embarrassed.

Thank you so much, everyone involved in bringing this to us!:thumb::thumb:

It's interesting to listen to these songs - honestly, performed quite poorly - and enjoy them so much. Must have been quite a night. You can feel the excitement in the air.

Next step, the video. One of the lucky few who own a copy should accidentally rip and upload it. We won't tell anyone :)

My thoughts exactly. Now you understand why it was never really released, but a joy to listen to after wondering about it for 20 + years. Loved Mike Joyce's drums on Disappointed and Interesting Drug. Also thought that was one of the better renditions of Suedehead, with the 92 era version the other great version.

Funny. This strikes me as more of a historical artifact than something I would put on and actively listen to.
It's a wonderful time capsule, but God, he sounded wobbly in those years. He definitely matured into a better singer.

While I was happy to hear this and am extremely grateful to the uploaders, honestly I have to say that after playing it, maybe now more than ever does it sadden me to think of the talented musicians he's pushed away or thrown out over the years in favor of who he's got behind him now.

I'm not saying that (for once) to start shit or to be negative for the sake of being negative. I'm saying...listen to Joyce's drums, Craig's guitar, Andy's bass. Compare Playboys then to Playboys now...or Disappointed, or Death At One's Elbow. So many examples in just this handful of songs.

You hear him play now and you think, "hey. Pretty tight. Not bad at all. Competent, if a bit lackluster." But in comparison to this recording, and how those songs could sound, even without Marr...the true abortion of Morrissey's live potential hits you in the jaw.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you have a different definition of "very tight." There is a lot of energy in the songs, yes, but every song has at least one mistake in it. I bet Morrissey was a little embarrassed.

I think most of the mistakes are down to the fact that people were constantly running around on the stage.

Still not convinced this is in any way a soundboard. Yes, it is easily ten times the quality of the original floating around for years and I'm appreciative of the opportunity to finally hear a good recording, but there are far too many audible screams and singing coming from the audience for the stage mics to have picked up on them with such clarity. I certainly could be wrong. It just seems odd to have the additional noises on the recording for it to have come from the board.

I agree with others that there are obvious reasons this was never officially released. I do love it just the same, though and thanks to all involved for making it available.

He did the right thing in burying this gig.

It's pretty clean. As clean as the only other recent (legit) live record I bought, Frank Black & the Catholics live at Melkweg.

My copy came white with odd blue-ish splotches (and in a non-artistic, but more disconcerting way), but it sounds much better than the audience bootleg. Not sure why it says Copyright 1990 on the back, as if it were intended as a release then? The audience audibility could be from micing the audience (which, for intended releases, does occur). But I don't know the history of the gig or the technical aspects. Personally it was worth the $20 - if memory serves this is what I paid for a boot CD of the same thing in 2000 or so.

Last edited:

I think the mistakes are understandable given the (reported) onstage chaos. OK - not a gig for the ages, but historically significant and I know I will give it a spin now and again.

I think the mistakes are understandable given the (reported) onstage chaos. OK - not a gig for the ages, but historically significant and I know I will give it a spin now and again.

Yes, chaos would be an understatement!
Plus we didn't know it had kicked off outside when the place was full and doors closed.
It was the excitement of post-smiths stuff and seeing him back on stage - the place went crazy!
Regards,
FWD

Craig Gannons guitar playing from this show is far superior then anything Jesse Tobias can play

While I was happy to hear this and am extremely grateful to the uploaders, honestly I have to say that after playing it, maybe now more than ever does it sadden me to think of the talented musicians he's pushed away or thrown out over the years in favor of who he's got behind him now.

I'm not saying that (for once) to start shit or to be negative for the sake of being negative. I'm saying...listen to Joyce's drums, Craig's guitar, Mike's bass. Compare Playboys then to Playboys now...or Disappointed, or Death At One's Elbow. So many examples in just this handful of songs.

You hear him play now and you think, "hey. Pretty tight. Not bad at all. Competent, if a bit lackluster." But in comparison to this recording, and how those songs could sound, even without Marr...the true abortion of Morrissey's live potential hits you in the jaw.
Although I definitely agree with your sentiment that this '88 band is musically way better than the current live band, I don't think this bootleg really shows that.. Of course, it was the first solo gig and due to the circumstances, they did a fine job but can't say it is musically a splendid effort. But of course, still a great historically document this bootleg and very glad it has finally surfaced in decent quality. Now there's hoping for the video..

Although I definitely agree with your sentiment that this '88 band is musically way better than the current live band, I don't think this bootleg really shows that.. Of course, it was the first solo gig and due to the circumstances, they did a fine job but can't say it is musically a splendid effort. But of course, still a great historically document this bootleg and very glad it has finally surfaced in decent quality. Now there's hoping for the video..

I think it's a really fun recording. It's really good sounding; maybe not soundboard but certainly a rip of some sort...anyway I like it.

I think there are 2 problems I notice with the sound.. 1 thing is the guitar seems to be way out of the mix during the first 2 or 3 songs.. the other is that the vinyl has a bit of wobble at times which probably make the sound seem off when it really wasn't.

The problem with soundboard recordings is they lose the acoustics of the room. This might have actually sounded pretty good in the building. For all it isn't, it's a recording I've coveted for so many years that I'm totally thrilled and it just gives me hope for the video.

Back
Top Bottom