'Morrissey, we're through' by Cameron Cook - article at Noisey

Morrissey, We're Through - Noisey
by Cameron Cook
Illustratration by Efi Chalikopoulou

"In the wake of Moz's James Baldwin T-shirt debacle, this long-term Smiths fan wonders if it's finally time to break up with his hero."

39838_1491227336089-Morrissey_noisey.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't break up with Moz because of a t-shirt. I dumped his ass 15 years ago because he's a pompous, irrelevant, hack, has-been twat.

Thanks for letting us know!
You're still very welcome here. Ahem.

im sure Morrissey couldn't give two f***s about some guy who used to be a fan.its all about opinions and context,tese days you don't even get the benefit of the doubt.ps- its only took him about three weeks to form an opinion on it.old news lets move on coz this stories been battered to death.

Maybe 1 f***?
Please Moz

I didn't break up with Moz because of a t-shirt. I dumped his ass 15 years ago because he's a pompous, irrelevant, hack, has-been twat.
What does that make you then? Commenting on Moz Solo about how terrible he is. That is illogical.

" He's an iconic figure of a struggle that is painfully still very relevant today, and a white man coopting his image for commercial gain is, however you cut it, plainly offensive. Also, the chosen lyric couldn't possibly be more dense. "Unloveable" is a song about the maudlin, teenage self-deprecation Morrissey has embodied since the beginning of his career, and equating Baldwin's tireless civil rights campaigning to being a little bit goth is preposterous to the extreme. Baldwin doesn't wear black on the outside, he is black on the outside, and the color of his skin was the central tenet of his work and identity in an era where black people were being routinely harassed, assaulted, and killed because of their race. The whole ordeal was just in flabbergasting poor taste, and left me, a lifelong fan, with a simple question: Why am I still putting up with this shit?"​

This is impossible to deny. You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree but I don't see any convincing argument against any of this.

Morrissey has said some pretty dubious borderline-racist statements elsewhere, but I've never quite understood the 'all reggae is vile' outrage. If a black person says "all country & western music is vile", does that make them racist against white folks? :confused:

I think the article was very well-written and thoughtful, and I agree with many of the writer's sentiments. Am I still a fan? Of course I am. It's like Moz himself said about Bowie in the he has become disillusioned with his hero, "in spite of everything, I do respect David. I simply have to play Star Man or Drive-in Saturday and I will forgive him for anything." Or as I could say about Moz, "I simply have to play There is a Light that Never Goes Out or The First of the Gang to Die and I will forgive him for anything".

Well done Cameron Cook for voicing his opinion !
4CK the mozbotz :angry: and their stupid cult leader.
The game is up well and truly up now for Fakin Steven.

Debunking is me ! ! !
A munchkin bot, I'll never be ! !

4CK STEVEN :tiphat:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Not to say one shouldn't have a sense of self worth and a healthy ego to drive them. But I think the core issue and root problem is the idea of identity, identity (self and cultural) sets up walls between us, a feeling of difference and 'better than you' that separates all of us from any real human contact. This I feel has to be dealt with first before we could even look at issues/problems of race,gender,etc.

Are you honestly this dense? It's pretty obvious why you aren't ready to "look at problems of race/gender, etc" because when we do we find that Morrissey makes a lot of statements that explicitly "set up walls between us, a feeling of difference" such as his remarks about immigration a few years back, and the same idea expressed in song previous to that. Morrissey just loves everybody apparently but loves them more if they speak English, speak it in the correct accent, and don't immigrate to his country.

You utter f***ing idiot. How old are you? I guess 15.

"Everyone who talks about race in one way or another way is a racist. There is not good or bad racism".

It's an opinion and I know you are angry and I appreciate your emotinal feelngs and even symphasise with them but I am interested in your opinion.

I guess there are, as always two sides of the story...
Ignoring differences that are being called racially defined (not by me) and emphasizing those differences and based on that, rating one race superior or inferior. And all the horror and evil that it created in the past, present and in the future (hopefully not).

To my knowledge there isn't any reliable, scientific evidence that confirms and substantiates those racial differences. On the contrary. There is one race. The human race.

I'm not talking about all the loonies making up their own science and their conspiracy theories about covering it all up. The alternate facts. Gee, what a invention and twisting of words.

Then there are the cultural differences.
I think it would not be wise to ignore them cause they are deeply routed and the only way to do anything to prevent problems is to name them. Not blame them. And without the attitude of being better or more civilised.
But they do have to be discussed from both sides, honestly and openly, if possible at all.
Am I naive?

Morrissey, We're Through - Noisey
by Cameron Cook
Illustratration by Efi Chalikopoulou

"In the wake of Moz's James Baldwin T-shirt debacle, this long-term Smiths fan wonders if it's finally time to break up with his hero."

39838_1491227336089-Morrissey_noisey.jpeg
You will NEVER get Morrissey out of your head. Whether you like it or not he's there for the duration of your mortal coil. Morrissey grew up....you didn't. You put the foot wrong. Pilgrimupnorth.

There is only bad racism. Racism=prejudice+power, which why "reverse-racism" is largely a myth as minority groups by almost by definition don't have power.

Regarding the idea, "there is only one race, the human race", that sentiment, while easily dismissed as naive, is actually quite profound. Unfortunately, we don't recognize this central truth. James Baldwin explains this point more eloquently and movingly than anyone else I know in the excellent film "I am Not Your Negro". Please see it if you haven't. It explains American racism very well. Sadly, Morrissey himself saw this film shortly before introducing the idiotic and tone-deaf t-shirt. Just when I have forgiven him for everything, he does something stupid like this and leaves me shaking my head...

Last edited:
Why should I believe him?
Didn't Moz do a reggae tuned song like Redondo Beach?
(Which I quite like)

Maybe he changed his mind, just a tiny little bit? Only to make this song and after that he considered it vile again. And so what? He can think AND say what he likes. Or is it forbidden to have preferences in musical taste, or has it to do with saying ALL reggae is vile? So this is racist? Just asking.
If a black hiphop artist says all classical music is vile, is that racist then? Not to me. It's an opinion.

No, with hindsight Moz has to be called racist, now, today, tomorrow and always.

Funny how he rates the appreciation of his Mexican fanbase.
They are keeping schtum, ignoring his racist remarks, why?
They are all deluded of course! They delude themselves!

This fan has seen the light after 30 years of deluding himself.
I can't help but feel he was anticipating and hoping to feel enraged.
And any hero worship will end cause heroes are humans too and not perfect and will fall from their statue.
But it doesn't sound very convincing to me.
Not as convincing as James Baldwin.

By the way, I am white of course and very privileged.
O God, I feel so privileged and it's such a good feeling.
Never going to give it up, never.

ALL REGGAE IS WILDE

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2004/apr/09/shopping.morrissey

"Everyone who talks about race in one way or another way is a racist. There is not good or bad racism".

It's an opinion and I know you are angry and I appreciate your emotinal feelngs and even symphasise with them but I am interested in your opinion.

I guess there are, as always two sides of the story...
Ignoring differences that are being called racially defined (not by me) and emphasizing those differences and based on that, rating one race superior or inferior. And all the horror and evil that it created in the past, present and in the future (hopefully not).

To my knowledge there isn't any reliable, scientific evidence that confirms and substantiates those racial differences. On the contrary. There is one race. The human race.

I'm not talking about all the loonies making up their own science and their conspiracy theories about covering it all up. The alternate facts. Gee, what a invention and twisting of words.

Then there are the cultural differences.
I think it would not be wise to ignore them cause they are deeply routed and the only way to do anything to prevent problems is to name them. Not blame them. And without the attitude of being better or more civilised.
But they do have to be discussed from both sides, honestly and openly, if possible at all.
Am I naive?

That's one way to say it. You're 115 years old and you spend your remaining time trying to mediate a message board that thrives on hate.

By the way, that is a very nice drawing!

"Reverse-racism" or what I ironically called "good racism" is racism. It will exists as long as someone needs to make business dividing people. We the people are essentially stupid, of course, because we buy that s::t. If you buy the s::t there will always be someone ready to sell it. If you support black supremacy you are opening the path to white supremacy theorists, and vice-versa.

By the way, I'm purple with a touch of turquoise. Sometimes I'm yellow and blue or green and orange. As you can see, I'm a person of colors, and I don't admit people say otherwise. But I make my own colora. Nobody color-labels me without my consent. You better make your own color before someone colors you for his/her own interests.

Cultural differences are right, as long as they are not used as an excuse to mutilate female sexual organs, torture and kill bulls, subject a society with lies, etc. If you have to put half of the globe on war to keep a given culture alive, then you better make a better culture, because probably something is not good. Just an opinion.

You know it's going to be scintillating when an article begins Myself and three of my closest friends...

Back
Top Bottom