NME - Babybird slates Morrissey

Kewpie

Subscriber
http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/48348

Babybird took a dig at Morrissey tonight (November 12) during a special comeback show in London.

The ’You’re Gorgeous’ singer Stephen Jones and his band took a jovial swipe at the former Smiths singer before the track ’The Way You Are’ during an intimate gig at the Hoxton Square Bar And Grill in Shoreditch.

“I want to dedicate this next song to Morrissey who has a glass tattoed on the side of his head,” he joked before drummer Robert Gregory threw a plastic pint at his head and the singer added: “That’s it, I’m leaving the stage, I’ve got a broken fingernail.”

Jones’ dig came after Morrissey walked offstage last weekend after a member of the audience threw a pint at his head after two songs.

The Babybird frontman was outspoken throughout the show criticising the venue, Sainsbury's and the Afghan war throughout his performance.

“People are worried about going to war with Afghanistan,” he told the crowd. “What about my kid’s education?

“If you want to go to war at the age of 18, go on then and f*** off.”

He later apologised to the audience for his comments.

Johnny Depp was rumoured to be appearing at the show after it was recently confirmed that he worked on their forthcoming album ’Ex-Maniac’.

But he failed to materialise prompting Jones to take a dig at the photographers at the front.

“It’s funny you lot normally only stay here for three songs and then leave,” he quipped before adding “We all know why you’re here, he‘s not coming.

"He’s in my hotel naked and buttered up ready for action. Johnny Deep is what I call him.”

The singer played a few bars of ’Bug In A Breeze’ before seemingly ending the show with his biggest hit ’You’re Gorgeous’ and ’Goodnight’.

But he returned for an encore to play forthcoming single ’Unlovable’, which Depp features on, for a second time.

:mad:

I really did think they disappeared in around 97.

I actually don't mind if people of stature take a shot at Moz -- he's a big boy that can defend himself, but when bit players in the music industry try it makes me laff.

Edited: ^^^^^ told you so....or was going to! :D

:lbf:

now, the posting of "How dare he say that", "who are babybird" & "morrissey is so much better then babybird" nonsense type stuff begins!!!!:p

well done Kew:thumb: yeah gonna upset a lot of the morrissey types today!

(& you didn't have to merge any threads)

How DARE he say that? ... who are babybird anyway?!? ... Morrissey is SO much better then babybird

If Moz and babybird were in a fight Moz would KICK HIS ASS and put this bird bitch in a cage ... in the most humane and animal friendly was possible... give him enough bird feed and let him fly around the room a bit ... and then probably release him out of compasion.

x

“I want to dedicate this next song to Morrissey who has a glass tattoed on the side of his head,” he joked before drummer Robert Gregory threw a plastic pint at his head and the singer added: “That’s it, I’m leaving the stage, I’ve got a broken fingernail.”

lol. i've never heard of this band but they're right.

....I Don't know about Morrissey being offended, but if I was Johnny Depp, I'd smack his filt'y Mouth......Then repeatedly slap his head with a plastic glass while "Doing" him "Dry"......:eek::eek::)

Wow, coming from such a well respected artiste, Morrissey must be devasted...:rolleyes:

What a tit. He knew this would be the only way he would get any mention whatsoever in the press.

If you play one gig every 10 years then it's quite easy to never have anything go wrong.

If you play a 100 in a year it's a bit of a different proposition.

Babybird are awful and their music serves no purpose other than toilet roll.
The end.

Who? And god, how impressive, the Hoxton Bar and Grill. It's shite.

Eeugh.

What a vile human.

Is that a typo or did they actually play "unlovable" twice? Because their back catalogue is so pitifully short. And where did they get the inspiration for that song title?
What a barrel of wankers. There's no Smiley to depict that unfortunately.

Last edited:
Get a grip. SJ has always been a misanthropic devils advocate. Said for effect, and it looks like it has had an effect.

Surprised The Scum haven't picked up on his Afghanistan quote.

Back
Top Bottom