Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-show

Re: Article: Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-sh

I hate to say this, but he looks sickening good on the big screen :)
http://yfrog.com/gzvkfyxwj (from FatGayVegan)

"Lou was haggard god bless him, Iggy was nuts, morrissey is just coming on."
"Morrissey now. A spring chicken compared with the rest"

lol

Morrissey said something along the lines of "I love Iggy, I love Lou, I love Patti - today you are at the best and the most intelligent (?) festival in this country". The Hop Farm festival was organised well and it all ran smoothly. Morrissey gave a *dazzling* performance. I'm still glowing!

That setlist isn't in order, but is roughly right. It was Kid's A Looker not People Are The Same though.

The Stooges were by far the best live act there, and an impossible act to follow. Morrissey's performance was better than at Plymouth, as was the banter, but Plymouth was the far superior show. Crowd barely moved a muscle for over half the set, no sign of a rush at the start even. Iggy had already blown everything out the water.

This was a dream line-up; Iggy, Lou Reed, Patti Smith & Morrissey! Iggy's set was wild wild wild, all Raw power stuff. Morrissey did a great job. Enjoyable evening.

Re: Article: Paddock Wood, Kent - Hop Farm Music Festival 2011 (July 2, 2011) post-sh

I Want The One
Fatty
You Have Killed Me
Shoplifters
Ouija Board
Light
People Are The Same
Sunday
Action
Meat Is Murder
Satellite Of Love
Paris
Speedway
Alma Matters
Irish Blood
First of The Gang
Charming Man
Panic

Disgraceful. I denounce morrissey.

"and all because....... the lady loves" then burst in to laughter! Great banter last night.:lbf:

UNBELIEVABLE - MOZ IS KING. I am a regular gig goer and the is up there with the VERY BEST ! Panic, what a fantastic surprise. We were right down the front, the crowd were going nuts ! I noticed that food stalls that were facing the stage had to cover up all signs that had any meat names.

He was amazing what a set for me he blew Iggy Pops set away which was a very tall order. There is a lighting tingling performance you would have had to have been dead not to feel the electric energy. Long live Sir Mozza and the Hop Farm Festy

The whole event was magnificent. Except for Lou Reed. I have never been more bored during a set and I was once forced to go to a Wet Wet Wet show.

Patti was terrific. Her energy and enthusiasm for what she does was infectious. Iggy & The Stooges absolutely blew everyone away. By about the third song, Iggy dragged about 30 people on stage to dance with him and his set was simply a powerhouse. I loved every second.

Morrissey was in amazing form. His voice was close to the best I've heard. I know I said that after York but it seemed better again. Everything he sang was so effortless and he was back to making some fabulous yelps and growls. He seemed to really want to interact with the front, hence the two trips down to the barrier. That was until someone or some people tried to yank his arm off.

Here is a pic of people grabbing him: http://twitpic.com/5kix92

And a pic of Moz making a quick retreat after being hurt by said people: http://twitpic.com/5kixrb

Panic was a blistering end to an already stellar show. I couldn't have asked for more. It was such a pleasure to be there.

Spotted most of the band strolling around in the crowd during earlier acts. Most hilarious part of the evening was during the drive home. We were about to enter the Blackwall Tunnel to re-enter central London when we looked to the car beside and saw it was being driven by Lyn with Boz in the passenger seat and their family in the back. I was waving to them like a lunatic. It was fun to have the Boorers beside us for a few miles of the post show drive!

Probably the best I've ever seen Moz play, he was on top form, and obviously really enjoying himself. Really chatty with the crowd, and making all sorts of roaring noises. Even with plasters on his fingers he went down to shake a few hands, and screamed ‘ouch’ when people gripped too hard.

Morrissey just seemed really happy; when he came on his first words were ‘My pretty face is going to Hell…’

When he told the crowd: "why don't you break the habit of a lifetime... and enjoy yourself", it seemed like he was talking about himself.

Maybe he just enjoyed the bands before him, when he introduced his band he started:

"I like Iggy, I like Lou, I like Patti, I like Boz Boorer, Solomon Walker, Matt Walker, Jesse Tobias... And Action Is My Middle Name"

He also called Hop Far 'the most civilised music festival', and asked "How do you follow Iggy and the Stooges" – which was a fair enough question, because Iggy was out of this world.

The band were on amazing form, particularly Jesse, The Smiths "covers" were played better than the originals, particularly I Want The One I Can't Have and There Is A Light, which the band made their own, and Moz included his own lyric changes.

Some of us were hoping for a Lou Reed duet, but it wasn't to be. After Satellites of Love Morrissey shouted out "God Bless Lou", and then went in to I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris.

My personal highlight was Speedway. Before the song Moz asked 'are you worried, you should be'. He did seem genuinely reborn; I was expecting some sort of big announcement as to why he was suddenly happy in his own skin.

Meat is Murder – ‘the biggest threat to human civilisation is the meat industry’ – was beautiful and haunting. It obviously made a lot of people uncomfortable, which was the point.

People have said in the past that Morrissey isn’t ‘a festival artist’. This seemed to be the case at Glastonbury, but not here, where Morrissey was really energised by the crowd.
He called out ‘People Have The Power’ before and after Irish Blood English Heart: ‘If you don’t want the government, if you don’t want the royalty, get rid of them’.
And Panic was the perfect encore, Morrissey left the stage telling the crowd: ‘I Love You’.

Yes, Panic was indeed the encore. He did "The Kid's A......", not "People are......", he also made a little joke about the fact that he had forgotten the lyrics to "Speedway" in Plymouth, which was a nice touch for those of us who were there. He then gave a spectacular delivery of "Speedway". The band were excellent, and Moz was really "up for it!" What on earth has he done to his fingers though? I noticed a plaster on his right index finger at Glasto.......now he also has one on his left thumb as well............playing with a new kitten maybe?

"and all because....... the lady loves" then burst in to laughter

Nutter. Well yes we like Prince's chocolate bar; got a problem with that? It's hardly my fault if your guitarist doesn't exercise his abdominals enough, now is it?

Get help.

Wow. What an amazing gig. Patti Smith was stunning as always, Lou was Lou, a f***ing legend so he can get up there and sing Sesame Street for all I care. Just the fact that he has made it this long makes me perfectly happy. The Stooges were completely electric, and fantastic; I think I liked this performance better than the last time I saw them. Mozzer, well, one of the best performances I have seen of recent years. Completely nailed it, and he should be so f***ing proud. Everyone there lapped it up. Perfect evening, and now heading off to PULP (who put on one the greatest gigs I have ever seen in Barcelona last month) tonight, so perfect weekend for sure. Then topping it off with Lou again tomorrow. Does anyone have a spare liver?

Fantastic day. I was the guy in the blue shirt making a complete fool of myself during Iggy's Shake Appeal. Did anyone get a photo of me and if so could you post it? it will be one of my most cherished pics ever!

First. I want to say thanks to libby for looking after me all day when I was let down by an acquaintance who was sposed to have my other ticket.

Did I go to the same gig? I thought it was good until "Ouija Board" and then it went to poo. I left early, not just because of not wanting to get stuck. Yes, the crowd atmosphere was very good (apart from the jerk who threw beer all over us after Shoplifters) but it just wasn't enough. That version of "There Is A Light" was the worst I've ever heard live from him. It's so played out. And look at the set after that, it's totally obvious apart from "Speedway" and that awful Lou Reed cover.

I think I'm probably more impartial than the rest of you, because I haven't seen him live since 2006 and I just thought the band were sluggish, Morrissey wasn't energetic and the whole thing was a disappointment after waiting all day for it.

Age isn't an excuse, Iggy (I am no fan of him and his shitty car insurance ads btw) might look wrinkly, but he worked the crowd and his band were tight. Patti is older than him but she also obviously cared and her band were very good.

He just looked tired, bored, fed up. The enunciation on his singing was a dead give away, he was frequently behind the crowd's singing. A few times to mix it up is fair enough, but on every song it can only be his lack of power. And his band were risible. What was with a lot of the tunes being so much bloody slower than the studio versions? You expect a different pace to the albums, but hopefully faster not bloody slower.

I love Morrissey's work. "YOR" was miles better than "ROTT". The Smiths are my favourite band, but if he can't hack it it's clearly time to take his own advice and Get Off The Stage. Either that or get down the gym, at the very least.

He should quit the stadium lifestyle because he's clearly not up to it.

I think an 'unplugged' set, or something like doing his songs with an orchestra is more up his street now.

Last complaint. His stage banter wasn't there. And why was "Meat Is Murder" so overblown? Why was it even in there? And I say this as a vegetarian of 15 years.

Honestly guys, I think I was just more sober than the rest of you here. Because that performance was phoned in.

First. I want to say thanks to libby for looking after me all day when I was let down by an acquaintance who was sposed to have my other ticket.

Did I go to the same gig? I thought it was good until "Ouija Board" and then it went to poo. I left early, not just because of not wanting to get stuck. Yes, the crowd atmosphere was very good (apart from the jerk who threw beer all over us after Shoplifters) but it just wasn't enough. That version of "There Is A Light" was the worst I've ever heard live from him. It's so played out. And look at the set after that, it's totally obvious apart from "Speedway" and that awful Lou Reed cover.

I think I'm probably more impartial than the rest of you, because I haven't seen him live since 2006 and I just thought the band were sluggish, Morrissey wasn't energetic and the whole thing was a disappointment after waiting all day for it.

Age isn't an excuse, Iggy (I am no fan of him and his shitty car insurance ads btw) might look wrinkly, but he worked the crowd and his band were tight. Patti is older than him but she also obviously cared and her band were very good.

He just looked tired, bored, fed up. The enunciation on his singing was a dead give away, he was frequently behind the crowd's singing. A few times to mix it up is fair enough, but on every song it can only be his lack of power. And his band were risible. What was with a lot of the tunes being so much bloody slower than the studio versions? You expect a different pace to the albums, but hopefully faster not bloody slower.

I love Morrissey's work. "YOR" was miles better than "ROTT". The Smiths are my favourite band, but if he can't hack it it's clearly time to take his own advice and Get Off The Stage. Either that or get down the gym, at the very least.

He should quit the stadium lifestyle because he's clearly not up to it.

I think an 'unplugged' set, or something like doing his songs with an orchestra is more up his street now.

Last complaint. His stage banter wasn't there. And why was "Meat Is Murder" so overblown? Why was it even in there? And I say this as a vegetarian of 15 years.

Honestly guys, I think I was just more sober than the rest of you here. Because that performance was phoned in.

Indeed, did you go to the same gig?

The band were on amazing form, particularly Jesse, The Smiths "covers" were played better than the originals, particularly I Want The One I Can't Have and There Is A Light, which the band made their own, and Moz included his own lyric changes.

stay off the drugs son

stay off the drugs son

Amen to that! Wake up, kiddies. You have become a cult. The emperor's clothes have fallen off. He's a particularly shabby-looking 52 now.

I was actually quite shocked.

Amen to that! Wake up, kiddies. You have become a cult. The emperor's clothes have fallen off. He's a particularly shabby-looking 52 now.

I was actually quite shocked.

Bobmozza im with you, although i was at york last saturday and he was fantastic, BUT the band making the smiths tracks better than the originals, this guy is deluded.

Fan-f***ing-tastic!

I've seen Moz many times and The Smiths twice. Some up's, some down's and many middling affairs.

Dream line up and great festival all day long.

Patti-Superb. Lou-Befuddled but 'Lou' Iggy-Rock 'n' Roll. Full Stop. Really tore the place up (Down?) How indeed do you follow that..?
Well Moz did by produced a superb set with great energy, passion and belief. The band were great, loud and aggressive and starting not to fear the Smiths material now, making them more their own... and Moz, the voice, the presence and (whisper it!) a touch of humility...oh, and 'those songs'
One thing that struck me was just how great the best of his solo stuff is!

I really think Moz got off on the vibe of his fellow artist's/hero's and responded in kind!
Well done Moz and the boys. You blew the crowd away...that one will stick with me a long while!

Back
Top Bottom