Peter Wyngarde has died

Believe Morrissey had a friendship (of sorts) with him which is touched upon in autobiography

Actor Peter Wyngarde, star of Department S, dies aged 90

Peter Wyngarde, star of Jason King and Department S, dies aged 90 - The Guardian
‘Unique, original and creative’ actor who also appeared in Flash Gordon and Doctor Who

42039_peter_wyngarde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise the article you read to tell me this was 'fake' is based on real events.
So common that it makes it in to Wikipedia - have you tried tackling these places first before registering here to cast shame on someone? I'm sure the Morrissey/Wyngarde demographic pales to that of Times / Independent / Guardian readers.
Feel free to tackle these and then get back to me:
From his TIMES obituary:
"His stock fell further when in 1975 he was fined £75 for gross indecency with a crane driver in a public lavatory at a Gloucester bus station. The defence insisted that he was not homosexual and that he had merely been drunk. One result of the court appearance was to reveal what was probably his real name: Cyril Louis Goldbert"
(https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/register/peter-wyngarde-obituary-vwzj2798n)

From the Guardian:
"During a time when it was difficult to be an openly homosexual celebrity, it was known in acting circles that Wyngarde was gay – with Petunia Winegum as a nickname – but it was kept secret from the public."
"He was outed publicly as gay in 1975 following charges of gross indecency, and the ensuing scandal saw his television appearances dwindle."
(https://www.theguardian.com/culture...nd-tributes-paid--cult-tv-star-peter-wyngarde)

From The Life of Alan Bates by Donald Spoto:
"Less tranquil was The Caretaker, "a poetic exploration of the desire to dominate". Bates was in a relationship with Peter Wyngarde, known to the profession as Petunia Winegum, who as Petruchio put a banana down his tights during matinées. The liaison was a psychologically damaging, Pinter-style situation."
(cited in: Roger Lewis reviews Otherwise Engaged: the Life of Alan Bates by Donald Spoto - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...3666144/The-minute-they-got-close-he-ran.html)

From the Independent:
"It was only much, much later that I read, I think in Private Eye, the reason for Wyngarde’s switch from ubiquity to obscurity. It was an incident that took place in the rather unglamorous and unerotic surroundings of the gents’ loos at Gloucester Bus Station. Wyngarde was caught, very possibly by some sort of a police entrapment, engaged in what was described as an act of gross indecency with a man.

Wyngarde maintained his innocence and proffered the explanation, for why he had been discovered prone in a cubicle, that he had slipped backwards on a piece of soap carelessly left on the floor. He was given a token fine, but this television career, at any rate, was simply over."

(https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-department-s-flares-space-1999-a8166156.html)

From the BBC:
"Wyngarde was briefly married to actress Dorinda Stevens in the 1950s, and then had a long-term relationship with actor Alan Bates.

His career suffered a setback in 1975 when he was arrested and convicted of "an act of gross indecency" with a lorry driver. He was fined £75 by magistrates under his real name Cyril Louis Goldbert.

The star said the conviction upset him deeply, but did not affect his career. However, his days as a leading man were largely finished.

He attributed his decline to type-casting by "small-minded people", but homophobia was undoubtedly a factor."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42731220)

A different era: How iconic actor Peter Wyngarde's 'liaison' in Gloucester Bus Station changed his world forever:
(https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/peter-wyngarde-gloucester-bus-station-1101106)

How Peter Wyngarde's secret sex life was exposed by police, destroying career of the 1970s pin up who inspired Austin Powers:
(https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/how-peter-wyngardes-secret-sex-11872774)

I'm sure the sterling work of one blogspot and someone registering here to tell me how awful I am is a great use of time and befitting of Peter's memory (something I was actually positive about).
FWD.
Oh, FWD, what a magnificently factual riposte!

Wikipedia rely on the press who, in turn, rely on Wikipedia. It's all a cycle of misinformation which is exaggerated and added to each time it goes around.

The truth will always have it's day... And all those sheep who believe everything they read in the press/Wikipedia/Fake News sites, will look pretty damn silly.

Just a matter of note: Those newspapers have, in fact, been tackled. The journalist from the Guardian was sacked, and I received apologies from both The Mirror and Daily Mail.

The court dealings are a matter of public record which forms the basis of some of those rumours & facts. I'd love an explanation of those occurrences that somehow explains it otherwise.
I look forward to reading it in about 4 months time.
The apology you refer to re: The Mail was regarding any 'upset' caused whilst they defended their writer's right to have a view that differed from yours - that is not the same thing as an apology for printing incorrect information.
The Mirror article, too, remains unchanged online with no apology or removal.
There was no Mail article cited here (and the one at the time referring to 'indecency' has not been edited to reflect factual errors or 'apologies' nor has it been removed).
The Guardian article quoted here is by Martin Belham who currently still writes for... The Guardian (as recently as today as it happens - so he's not down the labour exchange quite yet.).
If you are who you claim to be, then you should probably tackle more vocal sites about his perceived behaviour.
Most people here like him or do so because of Morrissey liking him (probably due in small part to some of the salacious assertions in the first place on top of his adoration in general).
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Jason King is dead? RIP. He won’t miss much in today’s world TBH. :sleepy:

Peter Wyngarde: A Life Amongst Strangers

For the first time ever in print, the life story of a television and style icon

Peter Wyngarde: the name elicits memories of an actor with worldwide renown and instantly adhesive star quality. During a more leisurely time, so far from internet gossip as to be barely recognisable, this is a biography that glued two people together for several decades to create a journal of the rise and relaxation of a household name and the adoration they enjoyed.
1550862486-2.jpg

The author has not placed their subject on a pedestal to unwittingly create an epic story of fame, fortune, the price of both and the cost of each other. With a wealth of stories to fascinate and appal in equal measure, and given it’s subject’s continuing fascination for a more worldly generation who would barely have heard of the power of the Lord Chamberlain, there is plenty to consume a worldwide readership for the story of someone whose fame hid fragility but whose status was the stuff of legend.

“Elegantly crafted, intensively researched and presented with the utmost honour, it is highly commended.”

“A wonderful, fascinating book.” Steven Berkoff

NOTE TO MR. 'FAMOUS WHEN DEAD':

ALL of the points you raised in your post have been examined in the above-mentioned book, and evidence given which tears the vast majority of the passages which you refer to ribbons. You even get a mention as an example of the type of person who, not only takes newspaper and Internet gossip as gospel, but who then
disseminates it without the slightest consideration for the damage you're doing.

And before you come back with another mouthful of supposition and abuse, just think how YOU might've felt on reading your original post should it have been about one of YOUR loved-ones. Peter had died in my arms only days before you decided to write that filth. Just THINK for a moment how it made me and other members of his family and friend feel seeing that. Would YOU like to find a couple of days after losing a parent, partner or sibling that someone hiding behind a user name was insinuating that they'd been a user of prostitutes? Would YOU not have taken the perpetrator to task?

Peter may just be someone who used to be on the telly to you, but to me, he was the love of my life! I know for a FACT that 99% of the trash you referred to above is pure, unadulterated fabrication, and the reason that it prevails is because people like yourself insist on repeating it. Just have a bit of respect for the dead and those that morn him.

Back
Top Bottom