"Pieces of Morrissey" by Matthew Jacobson - new book out Jan. 2017

An anonymous person sends the link:

Pieces of Morrissey - Adventures With The Moz Army by Matthew Jacobson.
Published by Empire Publications, released January 2017. Pre-order available now.

Morrissey is a cult.

But what drives fans' devotion? What makes them trek halfway round the world to catch his shows in the US or South America when he is playing in their city a few months later? Why do they fight over pieces of his shirt, thrown each night into the crowd?

Is this healthy? Should they seek help? Is Moz messainic or does he calculatedly whip the mob into a frenzy to maintain his status? And what of Morrissey's own adolescence and his obssessions with 50s rock 'n' rollers and stars such as Bowie and Patti Smith?

Morrissey devotee (and proud owner of an intact Moz shirt) Matt Jacobson examines his own obssession and that of his fellow fans to discover the lengths some will go to, to catch sight of their demi-god.

39480_moz_army.jpg

Another dross book in the same mould as your mate Felton's. Are you not tired of banging the same, drum, Matthew? You're zzzzzzzzz!

So tiresome. How many more Moz Army acolites are going to whore themselves out in the name of their "true devotion and love" of Moz? Felton, Hammil, Hidalgo, Amore/Chavez and now this bottom feeder. Find your own talent, get yourself a real job and stop riding on the success of Morrissey! Are you all that desperate for money that you'd use him in this manner? Disgraceful and pathetic.

Ouch that cover is sad. Of all the photos out there that people have this guy used this one (its obviously a fan photo)? Odd. I get he is holding the shirt but it's not worth the pun if the photo is that bad. As the previous person said he is showing up with man boobs. Not very flattering. People always judge the book by the cover (even though they should not). For the content this seems more like an essay than a book.

So tiresome. How many more Moz Army acolites are going to whore themselves out in the name of their "true devotion and love" of Moz? Felton, Hammil, Hidalgo, Amore/Chavez and now this bottom feeder. Find your own talent, get yourself a real job and stop riding on the success of Morrissey! Are you all that desperate for money that you'd use him in this manner? Disgraceful and pathetic.

This bloke will not make any money on this book. These people should do it for the love of Morrissey and I want to believe that they do. If they think they will make money they are sadly mistaken. If you do anything for money you are doing it for the wrong reasons and it will not be successful.

I know, you can't judge a book by his cover, but this is really an ugly artwork.

But you can judge a book by his cover! You just did! And why not?
And rightly so. And so on.
If there isn't anyone with any taste at all, why would the content be interesting? More coincidence when it does.
Category yawn me thinks.

If they are doing it for the love of Morrissey then they should donate all of their proceeds to PETA but I'm sure they are cashing their checks as their just reward for their false loyalty towards him.
Keep in mind these are the same fools that make the annual pilgrimage to the Moz Army Meet when Morrissey is on tour. They could spend the same money that they drop on the Meet and go to support him at an actual show but instead they spend their money on getting together to do karaoke or listen to a bad cover band. It doesn't add up.

This bloke will not make any money on this book. These people should do it for the love of Morrissey and I want to believe that they do. If they think they will make money they are sadly mistaken. If you do anything for money you are doing it for the wrong reasons and it will not be successful.

I don't dislike the photograph.
Despite they try or not making money it's indeed boring yet "another book" , another blog, another tribute online , all of them boring , uninteresting, unoriginal. YAWN

But why? Its not like people need yet another boring book about Moz' fans.
If you want to show your love for him, than support him. Don't try to make money using his image and "your devotion".

I have contacted on twitter, Matthew and contributions come from all Moz fans and also include Dickie Felton, Jamie Jones,singer songwriter Lisa Redford , tribute acts, The Smiths Indeed, The Smiths Ltd,Panic and Jim Thompson - These Smiths. These people all love Morrissey.......enough said.

Thanks for proving my point Rose!
Take a good look at that list, most of those people/groups make a buck off of their questionable devotion. Case in point: tribute acts get paid ripping off Morrissey in a bar. Felton is two books into his financed devotion as well. But I understand Rose, just because they say it they must love him. They can still love him without taking advantage of his success as an equal opportunity employer.

QUOTE="Rose Ryder, post: 1986987730"]I have contacted on twitter, Matthew and contributions come from all Moz fans and also include Dickie Felton, Jamie Jones,singer songwriter Lisa Redford , tribute acts, The Smiths Indeed, The Smiths Ltd,Panic and Jim Thompson - These Smiths. These people all love Morrissey.......enough said.[/QUOTE]

I like the cover picture. Morrissey always looks good shirtless - he has an excellent chest. What I've been wondering though is this: Does he not throw his shirt if he didn't like the audience? I was lucky enough to go to two shows this year, but no shirt toss at either one even though he changed his shirt just before the end of one of them. I thought both shows were fantastic. One show made his list of favorites and one didn't, so maybe it isn't the audience that makes the difference. I'm never close enough to get a piece of shirt anyway, but I keep wondering about this.

..and yet not one word slating the people selling items on eBay- advertised on this site-, cashing in without showing an ounce of imagination or talent. The above list of names, are fans and deeply passionate about being so. It's not really a crime is it. Let's just celebrate rather than string them up for showing willing. Merry Xmas.

Lots of respect for writing this book and getting it published! It's a huge effort and takes incredible dedication and determination. Ignore the Nay Sayers! It's easy to be a critic! "It takes strength to be gentle and kind! "Good luck!

Well said, checking publishers website, they also published Morrissey's Manchester by Phill Gatenby.

Lots of respect for writing this book and getting it published! It's a huge effort and takes incredible dedication and determination. Ignore the Nay Sayers! It's easy to be a critic! "It takes strength to be gentle and kind! "Good luck!

No, it's NOT easy to be a critic. I mean a good one.
I didn't read the book yet but with the information now available I won't hold my breath.
There have been so many, many books and publications about the subject that I do agree with other posters here who said it becomes pathetic and even without the commercial aspect it feels wrong to just jump the bandwagon that Moz seems to be now for so many.

I feel almost ashamed about being a Moz-fan. Almost.
It feels not dignified and without any respect for him as an artist and a person.
Mind you, I do understand your enthusiasm as a Moz-fan cause I am one too!
Please Moz, we are not all the same everywhere, as you hoped we were not.

Back
Top Bottom