5. Love Is On Its Way Out - 8/10
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead - 7/10
  7. One Of Our Own - 9/10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed - 10/10
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) - 10/10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel - 10/10
  11. The Truth About Ruth - 6/10
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) - 10/10
I'm shocked that he composed so many catchy songs. Well, I didn't appreciate him

1. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 3/10
  2. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 2/10
  3. In Your Lap 2/10
  4. Israel 2/10
  5. Love Is On Its Way Out 8/10
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead 2/10
  7. One Of Our Own 9/10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed 7/10
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 2/10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 1/10
  11. The Truth About Ruth 6/10
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) 6/10

• Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 10/10
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 7.5/10
  • In Your Lap 6.5/10
  • Israel 8/10
  • Love Is On Its Way Out 7/10
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead 7/10
  • One Of Our Own - 9/10
  • Spent The Day In Bed - 8/10
  • Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 7/10
  • The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 7.5/10
  • The Truth About Ruth - 7/10
  • Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) - 8.5/10

1. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 5/10
  2. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 5/10
  3. In Your Lap 2/10
  4. Israel 10/10
  5. Love Is On Its Way Out 9/10
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead 8/10
  7. One Of Our Own 8/10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed 9/10
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only) 9/10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel 2/10
  11. The Truth About Ruth 5/10
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only) 2/10

It's good to see a couple more 10 ratings for The Girl From Tel-Aviv. It was never going to make the top of the consensus, but hopefully it'll be saved from finishing in the basement. Most respondents are giving it middling-to-stinker numbers. Musically I think it's Manzur's finest contribution. A haunting, beautiful Jewish waltz—the best possible accompaniment to meandering but excellent lyrics that seem to be about the tragedy of Zionism. Les Tameside articulated the greatness of Israel by calling it "Nietzsche in a nutshell," and I think there's a lot of that in The Girl From Tel-Aviv too. "In fear of a God who hadn't saved them after all."

Oh yeah, I love the lyrics overall - he really tells a lot of truths here, and weaves quite a story. The music is so vintage and perfect (typical of the variety that Morrissey's music offers generally, but one of the best examples of it). There are so many great 'Morrissey moments' in it too, like the 'La Da Da' part, which is so special.

One of his top 10 in my catalog, and I never skip it (unless it's a direct repeat).

Gustavo Manzur has co-written quite a few songs (12), so, to continue the theme of an earlier thread (the co-writes of Jesse Tobias), I thought it might be a good exercise to also score each one Gustavo's co-writes out of 10. You know the drill by now, so let's go!

For clarity, scores should range should be between 1-10.

Here they are in alphabetical order:

1. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? 10
  2. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet 10
  3. In Your Lap 7
  4. Israel. 3
  5. Love Is On Its Way Out.7
  6. Neal Cassady Drops Dead.10
  7. One Of Our Own.10
  8. Spent The Day In Bed.9
  9. Sure Enough The Telephone Rings (live performance only).10
  10. The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel.7
  11. The Truth About Ruth.4
  12. Without Music The World Dies (live performance only).10

NB:
If I give you a 'Like' (y)or 'Informative' ℹ️ this indicates I've captured your score.

I feel offended as a Morrissey fan by some of these ratings. I know I shouldn’t, but I do. It’s an affront to true classics like “Now My Heart Is Full”, “Trouble Loves Me“ and “Everyday Is Like Sunday” to give out 10’s and 9’s to junk like “Bobby”, “Love Is”, “Tel-Aviv” and “Israel”.

I feel offended as a Morrissey fan by some of these ratings. I know I shouldn’t, but I do. It’s an affront to true classics like “Now My Heart Is Full”, “Trouble Loves Me“ and “Everyday Is Like Sunday” to give out 10’s and 9’s to junk like “Bobby”, “Love Is”, “Tel-Aviv” and “Israel”.
It's a bit dramatic of you to say you're affronted by other people's subjective musical tastes. Now My Heart is Full and Bobby are both 10's for me and I acknowledge that they're both wildly different songs. The diversity in styles is what I love most about Morrissey's solo canon, all his songs don't need to be soaring ballads for them to count as great songs in my book.

It's a bit dramatic of you to say you're affronted by other people's subjective musical tastes. Now My Heart is Full and Bobby are both 10's for me and I acknowledge that they're both wildly different songs. The diversity in styles is what I love most about Morrissey's solo canon, all his songs don't need to be soaring ballads for them to count as great songs in my book.
No, but they need to be good.

To put it in perspective, we're rating 12 songs co-written by a different person, and in a different era. The ones you're referring to are from late 80s to mid-90s. It's not the intention, or purpose, of this thread (nor is it fair) to make any comparison against those older songs. These 12 should be judged on their own merit, & scored accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
…and another day passes like a dream; here's the top 3 at close of play for today, folks:
  1. One Of Our Own - 8.0
  2. Spent The Day In Bed - 7.34
  3. Without Music The World Dies - 7.31

Bobby don t you think they know ? 7.5
Earth is the loneliest planet 7
In your lap 6.5
Israel 8
Love is on its way out 8
Neil Cassidy drops dead 8.5
One of our own 8
Spent the day in bed 7
Sure enough the telephone ring 7
The girl from Tel Aviv who wouldn t kneel 6.5
The truth about Ruth 6
Without music the world dies 6

Bobby don t you think they know ? 7.5
Earth is the loneliest planet 7
In your lap 6.5
Israel 8
Love is on its way out 8
Neil Cassidy drops dead 8.5
One of our own 8
Spent the day in bed 7
Sure enough the telephone ring 7
The girl from Tel Aviv who wouldn t kneel 6.5
The truth about Ruth 6
Without music the world dies 6
Thanks federico, I'll add these into the stats tomorrow.

What's interesting about Gustavo's list is that in the last 20 years of new Morrissey music, some of his material shines the brightest.

Gustavo has a high batting average.

Indeed I am Baz. I've been suffering from bad hay fever for past 2 days, so not firing on all cylinders.
You’ve done a super job on here over the last few days, hope your better soon.
I’m just getting over covid (again) so the last few days on here have been very exciting and enjoyable...
Thanks again 🤧🤧🤧

To put it in perspective, we're rating 12 songs co-written by a different person, and in a different era. The ones you're referring to are from late 80s to mid-90s. It's not the intention, or purpose, of this thread (nor is it fair) to make any comparison against those older songs. These 12 should be judged on their own merit, & scored accordingly.
They’re all Morrissey songs. It makes perfect sense to compare Morrissey songs to other Morrissey songs. We all do it all the time. “That album is worse than that album, Morrissey was better before xyz, “That single is much better than that single”. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom