Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to it right now on Spotify. Brilliant. Will sound even better within the context of the album.

Thanks to Moz Solo for posting this great news. Spotify didn't tell me.

Such an odd song to drop first. I mean, its like a b-side or lp track at most. Good news though, something is happening. Im not sure what

First, he says Veronica is the first single
Then he signs with Capital and the lp is out next year.
Then the lp is "lost " and he doesn't know what's happening. Now a song is being streamed.
I wonder if capital has f***ed him over. Paid for the LP and is gonna make it streamer only. so they get $$$ . My wife used to work for a record company She said music labels make bank from streaming hand over fist. Its just the artists get f***ed over
Fek! I hope Moz doesn't come out and say he didn't want it streamed and for us not to listen to it. That would be a right calamity. Beats me why official websites like Moz or The Cure tell us nothing. Moz Central should be shouting this news from the draughty rafters.

I hope there’s going to be more promotion in the coming days for the single. Without this site and a few other select sources, I wouldn’t have know it had dropped at all.

This recording sounds absolutely horrendous! Such a shame as it’s a really good song, but the drums sound awful and Moz’s vocals are way too loud in the mix!

Last edited:
Fek! I hope Moz doesn't come out and say he didn't want it streamed and for us not to listen to it. That would be a right calamity. Beats me why official websites like Moz or The Cure tell us nothing. Moz Central should be shouting this news from the draughty rafters.

It‘s really strange that all the official sources are sleeping as for now

Alan Moulder certainly is an interesting choice.
He was the 'engineer' on Shoplifters Of The World Unite way back in time...
FWD.

It’s a shame with these modern production tecniques and effects. It was a fun gimmic around the time with Cher and Believe, but now it’s over-used. Autotone is the absolute enemy of the genuine natural recorded voice, which Morrissey used to champion. Allowing this, he has become a bit of a sell-out, I think I must say. It’s like he wants this master-slave-relationship with the record label factories

This sounds like the one I heard ..
(it had a kinda underwater production sound on guitar - like smiths are being played underwater )
I thought it was where i was pissed when i heard it or a bad copy
If you find BOT , please upload it, as it's much better than the live version. Its saints and Obliova are mega - up there with River and pigstye

It's got a low-fi feel definitely, almost like first album Smiths, which may or may not be some people's preferred sound of choice. Could have done a bit more with the lyrics, it's a bit...bare bones.

My bet: Moz wanted to release the album in old style, with 4 singles, 3 b-sides each etc. He also wanted physical releases. It doesn't work like this anymore (unless you're Coldplay or Taylor Swift - if you sell millions, then you can have an active voice on deciding the strategy).
Once Morrissey realised what Capitol was going to do, he reacted his way, almost downplaying the album during the last concerts. It sounded like he suddenly lost interest in releasing, hence the lack of promotion by Moz camp (Jessie Tobias aside).
If he wants a record deal with a major, he has to play the game according to their rules. And please don't get me wrong, I'm not slashing him. I'm just trying to see both sides.

What a sweet song, unfortunately with even the best uploads we have here, I’m hearing weird artifacts, guessing it’s the YouTube or original downloaders compression used (misused?).
I can’t imagine that these are intentional. Hmmm.

Though my ear doesn’t have a problem adjusting and still enjoying this dreaded sunny day of a song.

More speculation, in the Watt interview something was said about Morrissey giving Watt the songs, I assume stems to work with, and he was instructed to do what he likes with the music, but not to touch the vocals. So what I’m wondering is, where were his vocals recorded? Professionally or ( is this a first?) by Morrissey at home? Not saying the vocals are bad at all, but Watt could have been working with what was given. Though I’m guessing if the original vocals were unusable or could be bettered, they could have easily redone them, as obvious other vocal layering seems to have been added.

Last edited:
Rather new to Morrissey and the fanbase - came here expecting jubilation lol.... wow was I wrong! 😎

Back
Top Bottom